Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please post your 'hinv' in the following format:

Topic: Kind of machine (O2, Octane, Tezro, Onyx2, etc.), CPU (R10k 250MHz, R12k 300MHz, R16k 1GHz, etc.), RAM, graphics option (Example: Tezro V12 4xR16K 700MHz 4GB)

Body: output of hinv -v (hinv -vm if possible) and /usr/gfx/gfxinfo.

Please wrap the output in BBCode "code" blocks to improve legibility.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Sydney, Australia
Edit: Read all the way through the thread. Both systems are now NUMA linked.

Code:
>> hinv -v -m -mvvv
IP35 Node Board, Module 001c01
    ASIC BEDROCK Rev 2, 200 MHz, (nasid 0)
    Processor A: 500 MHz R14000 Rev 2.4
          Secondary Cache 2MB 250MHz Tap 0xa , (cpu 0)
      R14010FPC Rev 2.4
    Processor B: 500 MHz R14000 Rev 2.4
          Secondary Cache 2MB 250MHz Tap 0xa , (cpu 1)
      R14010FPC Rev 2.4
    Processor C: 500 MHz R14000 Rev 2.4
          Secondary Cache 2MB 250MHz Tap 0xa , (cpu 2)
      R14010FPC Rev 2.4
    Processor D: 500 MHz R14000 Rev 2.4
          Secondary Cache 2MB 250MHz Tap 0xa , (cpu 3)
      R14010FPC Rev 2.4
    Memory on board, 4096 MBytes (Standard)
      Bank 0, 1024 MBytes (Premium)  <-- (Software Bank 0)
      Bank 1, 1024 MBytes (Premium)
      Bank 2, 1024 MBytes (Premium)
      Bank 3, 1024 MBytes (Premium)
IBRICK Bridge, Module 001c01
    ASIC BRIDGE Rev 2, (widget 14)
    adapter PCI (SCSI interface) Rev 6, (pci id 2)
IBRICK Bridge, Module 001c01
    ASIC BRIDGE Rev 2, (widget 15)
    adapter PCI (SCSI interface) Rev 6, (pci id 1)
    adapter IOC3 Rev 1, (pci id 4)
        controller multi function SuperIO
        controller Ethernet Rev 1
    adapter USB (OHCI interface) , (pci id 5)
ASIC XBOW Rev 2, on CBrick, Module 001c01
>>


It is the top one..

Attachment:
File comment: Origin 300s Px brick.
Origin300s.jpg
Origin300s.jpg [ 1.91 MiB | Viewed 946 times ]

I have a question.
Am I at a point now where I need a router boad..?

There is a NUMA link cable from minnie to the Px brick (12 PCI slots)..
Can I NUMA link the two Origin300s directly or do I need to route between all three modules..?

The other Origin (minnie) and the PCI expansion module (Px brick) can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11542

Regan

_________________
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000


Last edited by regan_russell on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Sydney, Australia
Someone privately pointed me to the following in techpubs:

tech pubs document wrote:

The Onyx 300 configuration without a NUMAlink module is a single-rack or two-rack
system that consists of the following components. Refer to Figure 4-1.

• 1 or 2 Onyx 300 compute modules (2, 4, 6, or 8 processors)
• 1 or 2 InfiniteReality graphics module with 1 or 2 graphics pipes
• 1 AC-powered L2 controller module
• 1 power bay module (only required when PCI expansion modules are present)
• 1 or more TP900 storage modules (optional)
• 1 PCI expansion module (optional)


From that, my take is no, I don't need a router board, just NUMA link cables..

Looks like this machine came from Melbourne, Australia and they deleted the /etc/passwd file.
I mounted the drive cp'd a new one and it came up straight away..

hinv from a shell:
Code:
melsvrfea 1# hinv -vm
Location: /hw/module/001c01/node
       IP45_4CPU Board: barcode MLJ194     part 030-1779-001 rev -C
Location: /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/14
             IO8 Board: barcode MLG164     part 030-1673-003 rev -F
Location: /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15
             IO8 Board: barcode MLG164     part 030-1673-003 rev -F
4 500 MHZ IP35 Processors
CPU: MIPS R14000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.4
FPU: MIPS R14010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 2.4
CPU 0 at Module 001c01/Slot 0/Slice A: 500 Mhz MIPS R14000 Processor Chip (enabled)
  Processor revision: 2.4. Scache: Size 2 MB Speed 250 Mhz  Tap 0xa
CPU 1 at Module 001c01/Slot 0/Slice B: 500 Mhz MIPS R14000 Processor Chip (enabled)
  Processor revision: 2.4. Scache: Size 2 MB Speed 250 Mhz  Tap 0xa
CPU 2 at Module 001c01/Slot 0/Slice C: 500 Mhz MIPS R14000 Processor Chip (enabled)
  Processor revision: 2.4. Scache: Size 2 MB Speed 250 Mhz  Tap 0xa
CPU 3 at Module 001c01/Slot 0/Slice D: 500 Mhz MIPS R14000 Processor Chip (enabled)
  Processor revision: 2.4. Scache: Size 2 MB Speed 250 Mhz  Tap 0xa
Main memory size: 4096 Mbytes
Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 2 Mbytes
Memory at Module 001c01/Slot 0: 4096 MB (enabled)
  Bank 0 contains 1024 MB (Premium) DIMMS (enabled)
  Bank 1 contains 1024 MB (Premium) DIMMS (enabled)
  Bank 2 contains 1024 MB (Premium) DIMMS (enabled)
  Bank 3 contains 1024 MB (Premium) DIMMS (enabled)
Integral SCSI controller 4: Version QL12160, low voltage differential
Integral SCSI controller 6: Version QL12160, low voltage differential
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version QL12160, low voltage differential
  Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 1)
  Disk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 2)
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version QL12160, low voltage differential
IOC3 serial port: tty3
IOC3 serial port: tty4
Integral Fast Ethernet: ef0, version 1, module 001c01, pci 4
  PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4215, device 4630) pci slot 2
  PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4215, device 4630) pci slot 1
  PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4265, device 3) pci slot 4
  PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4545, device 22530) pci slot 5
IOC3 external interrupts: 1
HUB in Module 001c01/Slot 0: Revision 2 Speed 200.00 Mhz (enabled)
IP35prom in Module 001c01/Slot n0: Revision 6.117
USB controller: type OHCI
melsvrfea 2#


Regan

_________________
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Sydney, Australia
This is the combined hinv after I pulled the NUMA link out of the PX brick and linked the two Origin300s together.

Code:
 hinv -vm
Location: /hw/module/001c01/node
       IP45_4CPU Board: barcode MLJ194     part 030-1779-001 rev -C
Location: /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/14
             IO8 Board: barcode MLG164     part 030-1673-003 rev -F
Location: /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15
             IO8 Board: barcode MLG164     part 030-1673-003 rev -F
Location: /hw/module/001c02/node
       IP45_4CPU Board: barcode KJD687     part 030-1797-001 rev -B
Location: /hw/module/001c02/Ibrick/xtalk/14
             IO8 Board: barcode MHL579     part 030-1673-003 rev -E
Location: /hw/module/001c02/Ibrick/xtalk/15
             IO8 Board: barcode MHL579     part 030-1673-003 rev -E
CPU: MIPS R14000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.4
FPU: MIPS R14010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 2.4
Processor 0: 500 MHZ IP35
Processor 1: 500 MHZ IP35
Processor 2: 500 MHZ IP35
Processor 3: 500 MHZ IP35
Processor 4: 600 MHZ IP35
Processor 5: 600 MHZ IP35
Processor 6: 600 MHZ IP35
Processor 7: 600 MHZ IP35
CPU 0 at Module 001c01/Slot 0/Slice A: 500 Mhz MIPS R14000 Processor Chip (enabled)
  Processor revision: 2.4. Scache: Size 2 MB Speed 250 Mhz  Tap 0xa
CPU 1 at Module 001c01/Slot 0/Slice B: 500 Mhz MIPS R14000 Processor Chip (enabled)
  Processor revision: 2.4. Scache: Size 2 MB Speed 250 Mhz  Tap 0xa
CPU 2 at Module 001c01/Slot 0/Slice C: 500 Mhz MIPS R14000 Processor Chip (enabled)
  Processor revision: 2.4. Scache: Size 2 MB Speed 250 Mhz  Tap 0xa
CPU 3 at Module 001c01/Slot 0/Slice D: 500 Mhz MIPS R14000 Processor Chip (enabled)
  Processor revision: 2.4. Scache: Size 2 MB Speed 250 Mhz  Tap 0xa
CPU 4 at Module 001c02/Slot 0/Slice A: 600 Mhz MIPS R14000 Processor Chip (enabled)
  Processor revision: 2.4. Scache: Size 4 MB Speed 300 Mhz  Tap 0xa
CPU 5 at Module 001c02/Slot 0/Slice B: 600 Mhz MIPS R14000 Processor Chip (enabled)
  Processor revision: 2.4. Scache: Size 4 MB Speed 300 Mhz  Tap 0xa
CPU 6 at Module 001c02/Slot 0/Slice C: 600 Mhz MIPS R14000 Processor Chip (enabled)
  Processor revision: 2.4. Scache: Size 4 MB Speed 300 Mhz  Tap 0xa
CPU 7 at Module 001c02/Slot 0/Slice D: 600 Mhz MIPS R14000 Processor Chip (enabled)
  Processor revision: 2.4. Scache: Size 4 MB Speed 300 Mhz  Tap 0xa
Main memory size: 8192 Mbytes
Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 2 Mbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 2 Mbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 2 Mbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 2 Mbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 4 Mbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 4 Mbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 4 Mbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 4 Mbytes
Memory at Module 001c01/Slot 0: 4096 MB (enabled)
  Bank 0 contains 1024 MB (Premium) DIMMS (enabled)
  Bank 1 contains 1024 MB (Premium) DIMMS (enabled)
  Bank 2 contains 1024 MB (Premium) DIMMS (enabled)
  Bank 3 contains 1024 MB (Premium) DIMMS (enabled)
Memory aModule 001c02/Slot 0: 4096 MB (enabled)t
  Bank 0 contains 1024 MB (Premium) DIMMS (enabled)
  Bank 1 contains 1024 MB (Premium) DIMMS (enabled)
  Bank 2 contains 1Int024 MB (Premium) DIMMS (enabled)
  Bank 3 contains 1024 MB (Premium) DIMMS (enabled)
t 1)
  Disk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 7 (unit 2)
Integral SCSI controller 8: Version QL12160, low voltage differentialnifferential
Integral SCSI controller 7: Version QL12160, low voltage differential
  Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 7 (u mial port: tty5
IOC3 serial port: tty3
IOC3 serial port: tty4
IOC3 serial port: tty6
Integral Fast Ethernet: ef0, version 1,odule 001c01, pci 4
Fast Ethernet: ef1, version 1, module 001c02, pci 4
  PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4215, device 4630) pci slot (vendor 4545, device 22530) pci slot 5
  PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4215, device 4630) pci slot 1
  PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4265, rudevice 3) pci slot 4
  PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4545, device 22530) pci slot 5
IOC3 external interrupts: 1
IOC3 external interpts: 2
HUB in Module 001c01/Slot 0: Revision 2 Speed 200.00 Mhz (enabled)
HUB in Module 001c02/Slot 0: Revision 2 Speed 200.00 Mhz (enabled)
IP35prom in Module 001c01/Slot n0: Revision 6.117
IP35prom in Module 001c02/Slot n0: Revision 6.210
melsvrfea 2# ller: type OHCI
USB controller: type OHCI
USB controD 2
  PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4215, device 4630) pci slot 1
  PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4265, device 3) pci slot 4
  PCI Adapter Isk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 2)
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version QL12160, low voltage differential
IOC3 serDi
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version QL12160, low voltage differential
  Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 1)
  egral SCSI controller 4: Version QL12160, low voltage differential
Integral SCSI controller 6: Version QL12160, low voltage di



Code:
001c02-L1>cfg v
:0  - 001c02 (local)
:1  - not connected    (attached I/O)
:5  - 001c01 (attached C)
:6  - not connected    (attached I/O)
001c02-L1>


The PROM revisions are different which is why the output is mixed up.


Code:
IP35 PROM SGI Version 6.117  built 08:14:41 PM May 20, 2002
IP35 PROM SGI Version 6.210  built 02:33:51 PM Aug 26, 2004


If someone has a quick link to where the PROMs can be downloaded on SupportFolio..
Otherwise I will search for it myself.

I would like to make 001c02 the master and 001c01 the slave.
I will have to dig through the doumentation but if any big iron people know how to set module IDs and upgrade PROMS... a quick PM would be great. Thanks.

An observatinon. The 600 MHz have 4Mb Cache the 500MHz have 2Mb. You can't judge just on MHz alone, you shouldn't just say that the 600s should be 20% faster. Cache matters.

Regan

_________________
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:05 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:31 am
Posts: 7984
Location: Pleasanton, California
regan_russell wrote:
If someone has a quick link to where the PROMs can be downloaded on SupportFolio..
Otherwise I will search for it myself.


No need - it's included with IRIX. Just type 'flash' (as root) from IRIX and it will do the rest.

_________________
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Sydney, Australia
nekonoko wrote:
regan_russell wrote:
If someone has a quick link to where the PROMs can be downloaded on SupportFolio..
Otherwise I will search for it myself.


No need - it's included with IRIX. Just type 'flash' (as root) from IRIX and it will do the rest.


Oh?

Ok. thanks. I guess that means that the IRIX versions should be the same as well.

Regan

_________________
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:57 am
Posts: 2223
Location: In an origin rack - Germany
regan_russell wrote:
nekonoko wrote:
regan_russell wrote:
If someone has a quick link to where the PROMs can be downloaded on SupportFolio..
Otherwise I will search for it myself.


No need - it's included with IRIX. Just type 'flash' (as root) from IRIX and it will do the rest.


Oh?


Additional info:
The proms are automaticly flashed when installing IRIX or when upgrading with an overlay. If you add hardware parts which use an older version you have to flash by hand. I preferer to take a look to the manpage first.

The above isnt true when speaking about the firmware of the L1 controllers. These have to flash manually.


Quote:

Ok. thanks. I guess that means that the IRIX versions should be the same as well.

Regan


?. Its always a SSI (single system image), so, when the partition feature isnt used, you always runs one IRIX version.

regards
Joerg

_________________
http://www.irixworld.net
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Sydney, Australia
Thanks for all the very useful advice.

joerg wrote:
Quote:

Ok. thanks. I guess that means that the IRIX versions should be the same as well.

Regan


?. Its always a SSI (single system image), so, when the partition feature isnt used, you always runs one IRIX version.

regards
Joerg


Yes, but without the NUMA link, two different versions of IRIX were installed, which in turn meant that PROMs versions were different.

I'd like to run the 600MHz as master which means it should become 01c01 and the 500MHz should become 01c02..? I will start reading documentation tonight unless you have a quick answer.

Also I think I understand the architecture a little more now. Without a router board you could have one I/O expansion, for example a Px brick off each compute module. Four modules in total.

I am now looking to another NUMA link cable. If you have a contact that would sell me one please.

I wonder if you have a 4 CPU MIPS Pro Compiler License and you upgrade your machine, how that would affect the license... hmm... Legally and technically..?

Thanks,

Regan

_________________
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:57 am
Posts: 2223
Location: In an origin rack - Germany
regan_russell wrote:
Thanks for all the very useful advice.

joerg wrote:
Quote:

Ok. thanks. I guess that means that the IRIX versions should be the same as well.

Regan


?. Its always a SSI (single system image), so, when the partition feature isnt used, you always runs one IRIX version.

regards
Joerg


Yes, but without the NUMA link, two different versions of IRIX were installed, which in turn meant that PROMs versions were different.


Your hinv shows a 2module setup. So i expect that you have connected both machines and start up the OS. Use flash now to update the old prom versions. Without the -o switch flash doenst update the proms who are already up to date.

Quote:
I'd like to run the 600MHz as master


Maybe this only effected I/O (disks) performance and not cpu. You canot expect that the sheduler always asign the tasks to the first or fastest CPUs.

Quote:
which means it should become 01c01 and the 500MHz should become 01c02..? I will start reading documentation tonight unless you have a quick answer.


Connect with a serial to the L1 controller and enter printenv/help or what ever. Iam not in my office. I expect there is something like module_id or similar.

The "01c02" means rack 01 and position 02 in the rack (counting from the bottom). On a offical SGI rack they have a numbering printed on the rack.
For example:
If you have 2 Powerbays which each use 3U high, and your first Cbrick after that it will have the number 001c07 and the secone one 001c10 because each Cbrick is also 3U hight.

I think this is only a numbering for identifying the bricks in a rack. The docs "says" that the lowest Cbrick have to be the "first" one, this is also the Brick the the I Brick is connected to.


But I expect that the ordering depends to the module_ids and not from that simple naming scheme.


Quote:

Also I think I understand the architecture a little more now. Without a router board you could have one I/O expansion, for example a Px brick off each compute module. Four modules in total.

I am now looking to another NUMA link cable. If you have a contact that would sell me one please.


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300160329350
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300160329290

You didnt responce in the IRC for a couple of days. If i buy these items for you please confirm this. I already bought SGI stuff from that seller. For me it was a little bit pricy but i like to have some spare parts around for my machine.

Quote:
I wonder if you have a 4 CPU MIPS Pro Compiler License and you upgrade your machine, how that would affect the license... hmm... Legally and technically..?


This only effects the number of tasks running on the same time. Do you ever used "gmake -j8"?

regards
Joerg

_________________
http://www.irixworld.net
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Sydney, Australia
joerg wrote:

Quote:
I'd like to run the 600MHz as master


Maybe this only effected I/O (disks) performance and not cpu. You canot expect that the sheduler always asign the tasks to the first or fastest CPUs.


I have Maya, MIPS Pro, and IRIX 6.5.25 or 27 on the 600MHz.
I have 6.5.16 on the 500 MHz and no software on it except a deleted ABAQUS CAE package, if I could hack the file system to bring it back (unlikely).

My guess is that I could not, should not, pull the drives out of the 600 and put them in the 500 as the PROM version and the OS verion would be different and that can only lead to unhappiness.

joerg wrote:
Quote:

Also I think I understand the architecture a little more now. Without a router board you could have one I/O expansion, for example a Px brick off each compute module. Four modules in total.

I am now looking to another NUMA link cable. If you have a contact that would sell me one please.


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300160329350
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300160329290

You didnt responce in the IRC for a couple of days. If i buy these items for you please confirm this. I already bought SGI stuff from that seller. For me it was a little bit pricy but i like to have some spare parts around for my machine.


Thanks, I asked the seller about international shipping. I did try to contact you and thought I'd sent you a PM. The machine running xchat has a dodgey power supply and locks up. Which meant I missed it. I probably have a few phantom IRC sessions. If anyone wants to msg and then kick me in the next few hours from the time of this post.

Quote:
I wonder if you have a 4 CPU MIPS Pro Compiler License and you upgrade your machine, how that would affect the license... hmm... Legally and technically..?


joerg wrote:
This only effects the number of tasks running on the same time. Do you ever used "gmake -j8"?

regards
Joerg


I don't use gmake -j8 but one of the other makes smake, pmake or something goes parallel and I guess could check out multiple licenses or something.

Thanks,

Regan

_________________
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:57 am
Posts: 2223
Location: In an origin rack - Germany
regan_russell wrote:
joerg wrote:

Quote:
I'd like to run the 600MHz as master


Maybe this only effected I/O (disks) performance and not cpu. You canot expect that the sheduler always asign the tasks to the first or fastest CPUs.


I have Maya, MIPS Pro, and IRIX 6.5.25 or 27 on the 600MHz.
I have 6.5.16 on the 500 MHz and no software on it except a deleted ABAQUS CAE package, if I could hack the file system to bring it back (unlikely).

My guess is that I could not, should not, pull the drives out of the 600 and put them in the 500 as the PROM version and the OS verion would be different and that can only lead to unhappiness.


Sure you can.
But what i dont understand is why you havent simple use the flash command to upgrade your prom. If i understand you correctly is that you boot with the disks in the 500mhz right? Check the manpage how to specify the path the to firmware. A quick workaround should be to copy the firmware from the other disk to the system drive so it can be found at the default location.

Or why not simple upgrade your 2 module system to .30?

Quote:

joerg wrote:
Quote:

Also I think I understand the architecture a little more now. Without a router board you could have one I/O expansion, for example a Px brick off each compute module. Four modules in total.

I am now looking to another NUMA link cable. If you have a contact that would sell me one please.


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300160329350
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300160329290

You didnt responce in the IRC for a couple of days. If i buy these items for you please confirm this. I already bought SGI stuff from that seller. For me it was a little bit pricy but i like to have some spare parts around for my machine.


Thanks, I asked the seller about international shipping. I did try to contact you and thought I'd sent you a PM. The machine running xchat has a dodgey power supply and locks up. Which meant I missed it. I probably have a few phantom IRC sessions.


Just two sessions and it drives me nuts that you never answered :)

Quote:
If anyone wants to msg and then kick me in the next few hours from the time of this post.

Quote:
I wonder if you have a 4 CPU MIPS Pro Compiler License and you upgrade your machine, how that would affect the license... hmm... Legally and technically..?


joerg wrote:
This only effects the number of tasks running on the same time. Do you ever used "gmake -j8"?

regards
Joerg


I don't use gmake -j8 but one of the other makes smake, pmake or something goes parallel and I guess could check out multiple licenses or something.

Thanks,

Regan


The make tools never take care of the licenses.... they simple fork serveral task. But at default this is only one. So if you have a license just told your make tool only to use the right numbers.

regards
Joerg

_________________
http://www.irixworld.net
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Sydney, Australia
joerg wrote:
Sure you can.
But what i dont understand is why you havent simple use the flash command to upgrade your prom. If i understand you correctly is that you boot with the disks in the 500mhz right? Check the manpage how to specify the path the to firmware. A quick workaround should be to copy the firmware from the other disk to the system drive so it can be found at the default location.

Or why not simple upgrade your 2 module system to .30?


I have 6.5.30, but for strange reasons, I want to do things in an illogical way. Minnie still has the Walt Disney sticker on it.


Quote:
Just two sessions and it drives me nuts that you never answered :)


:oops:
Sorry. I hate to offend people without good reason.


For reference:
techpubs.sgi.com Document number 007-4365-002 wrote:
Before connecting two SGI Origin 300 servers, you must follow these steps to assign
unique system ID numbers to the servers:
1. Designate one of the servers as the master server and the other server as the slave.
2. Connect a console to the slave server (refer to “Connecting the System Console” on
page 34), and power on the server (refer to “Powering On and Off the Server” on
page 36).
3. Use the brick slot <slotnumber> L1 command to set the slave system ID
number to a higher number than the master system ID number. For example, if the
master server’s L1 prompt indicates that its ID number is 01 (001c01-L1>), then the
slave system ID number should be 02 or higher (001c02-L1>).
001c01-L1>brick slot 02
brick slot set to 02.
Refer to the SGI L1 and L2 Controller Software User’s Guide (007-3938-00x) for more
information on L1 commands.
Follow these steps to connect two SGI Origin 300 servers with a NUMAlink 3 cable:
1. Power off both servers (refer to “Powering On and Off the Server” on page 36).
2. Connect the NUMAlink 3 cable to the LINK connectors on both servers.
3. Connect a system console to the master server, as described in “Connecting the
System Console” on page 34.
4. Power on both servers as described in “Powering On and Off the Server” on
page 36.



Regan

_________________
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Sydney, Australia
joerg wrote:
joerg wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if you have a 4 CPU MIPS Pro Compiler License and you upgrade your machine, how that would affect the license... hmm... Legally and technically..?


joerg wrote:
This only effects the number of tasks running on the same time. Do you ever used "gmake -j8"?

regards
Joerg


I don't use gmake -j8 but one of the other makes smake, pmake or something goes parallel and I guess could check out multiple licenses or something.

Thanks,

Regan


The make tools never take care of the licenses.... they simple fork serveral task. But at default this is only one. So if you have a license just told your make tool only to use the right numbers.

regards
Joerg


The 600MHz is now the IRIX version the Single System image is booting from. But I have lost my Compiler and Maya Licenses. And I have very few compiler licenses left and I don't know if I am covered for more than 4 CPUs.
I guess adding more CPUs changes your LM host ID.


Regan

_________________
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:57 am
Posts: 2223
Location: In an origin rack - Germany
regan_russell wrote:
The 600MHz is now the IRIX version the Single System image is booting from. But I have lost my Compiler and Maya Licenses.


Does that mean you delete your license.dat file or just that the licenses dont work anymore because of the changed hostid?

Quote:
And I have very few compiler licenses left and I don't know if I am covered for more than 4 CPUs.
I guess adding more CPUs changes your LM host ID.

Regan


Well,
O3k:
Code:
[o3k]:~ $ lmhostid
lmhostid - Copyright (c) 1989-2003 by Macrovision Corporation. All rights reserved.
The FLEXlm host ID of this machine is ""c2000116 c2000116 c2000116 c2000116 c2000116 c2000116 c2000116 c2000116""


O2K:
Code:
[o2k]:~ $ lmhostid
lmhostid - Copyright (c) 1989-2003 by Macrovision Corporation. All rights reserved.
The FLEXlm host ID of this machine is ""b0017299 b0016691 b0011102 b0011387""


O200:
Code:
[sgi]:~ $ lmhostid
lmhostid - Copyright (c) 1989-2003 by Macrovision Corporation. All rights reserved.
The FLEXlm host ID of this machine is ""690bf73d 690dcc10""


My single 300 only shows one ID. What looks interessting is that on the o3xxx series all modules have the same ID and in the older o2k they have its own.

Maybe that was the reason why i cant get a special software to work on the o2k a long time ago. At the end i run it on a workstation. Question of the day is now how a o3xx(x) system looks like which based on collected parts or when a foreign Cbrick was added.

IIRC i got maya running on my o2000. So the multible hostid's arent a general problem.

Btw, with "Any Lics" you havent such a problem right?

regards
Joerg

_________________
http://www.irixworld.net
ImageImage


Last edited by joerg on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Sydney, Australia
joerg wrote:
regan_russell wrote:
The 600MHz is now the IRIX version the Single System image is booting from. But I have lost my Compiler and Maya Licenses.


Does that mean you delete your license.dat file or just that the licenses dont work anymore because of the changed hostid?


The machine has "changed"..

Code:
 2:36:03 (sgifd) Wrong hostid on SERVER line for license file:
 2:36:03 (sgifd)        /var/flexlm/license_minnie.dat
 2:36:03 (sgifd) SERVER line says d2003713, hostid is "d2001411 d2001411"
 2:36:03 (sgifd) Invalid hostid on SERVER line
 2:36:03 (sgifd) Disabling 1 license from feature WorkShop(AD55C62135CB6C920C29)
 2:36:03 (sgifd) Disabling 1 license from feature cc(2D3546918F30BDB71C0D)
 2:36:03 (sgifd) Disabling 1 license from feature cpp(7D9576310CE3EAAC1588)
 2:36:03 (sgifd) Disabling 1 license from feature f77(0D053681B0953E3C148B)
 2:36:03 (sgifd) Disabling 1 license from feature f90(DD6546D1CE7EA578DDE9)


Code:
lmhostid
lmhostid - Copyright (c) 1989-2003 by Macrovision Corporation. All rights reserved.
The FLEXlm host ID of this machine is ""d2001411 d2001411""
Only use ONE from the list of hostids.
bash-3.1#  2:40:03 (sgifd) No valid hostids, exiting
 2:40:03 (lmgrd) Please correct problem and restart daemons




joerg wrote:
Quote:
And I have very few compiler licenses left and I don't know if I am covered for more than 4 CPUs.
I guess adding more CPUs changes your LM host ID.

Regan


My single 300 only shows one ID. What looks interessting is that on the o3xxx series all modules have the same ID and in the older o2k they have its own.

Maybe that was the reason why i cant get a special software to work on the o2k a long time ago. At the end i run it on a workstation. Question of the day is now how a o3xx(x) system looks like which based on collected parts or when a foreign Cbrick was added.



joerg wrote:
Btw, with "Any Lics" you havent such a problem right?

regards
Joerg


I am trying to stay with my original licenses issued to me by SGI, I will attempt to get some new ones. If that fails I will go for Any as a last stand.

Thanks,

Regan

_________________
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Sydney, Australia
Key-o-matic issued me new compiler licenses so I am happy again.
Now, I should get around to flashing PROMs and compiling code.

Regan

_________________
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group