Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:45 pm 

skywriter wrote:
sgi suppport is always appreciated. there is only one of us able to commit to compiling the code and donate to the blender foundation or create a nekochan version at any one time (if that). if you can help thank you from everyone here.

a generic method of adapting spaceballs and dials + buttons would be the best. such input applicable to whatever is available to program. in the past it was whatever python could get to, which i believe is significantly enhanced over what daniel had available through the X-window protocol. i believe a simple spaceball implementation is best for object manipulation - but let the imagination fly.

I think that was the idea behind the ndof-branch, to provide a generic API for input devices and have a simple plugin that deals with the hardware specific branch (at least that's how I see it). IIRC 3Dconnexion was the driving force behind the current implementation, so right now it's geared towards their USB devices. The plugin I wrote is just a proof of concept that it can be done without their software, which didn't support my SpaceBall 2003 anyway. Dials'n'Buttons support would be great, though I must admit that I have no idea what it could be used for.

skywriter wrote:
i'm am very impressed with the progress with the progress the blender development team, and the open movie projects have produced. i only wish, if a bit bitterly, that more of it came back to the SGI community for the percentage donated to free the code (by me).

i maintain both windows and linux interests, but SGI is my platform of choice because of the large investment in digital audio i have.

In a way I can understand your bitterness. Currently I only do the builds for Linux on PowerPC (probably an even smaller niche than IRIX) and sometimes wonder why I'm bothering.

skywriter wrote:
any help is certainly appreciated. what machine did you get, what version of IRIX do you have? most importantly did you get a set of 6.5 base CD's? what spaceball model did you get? have you tried to a MIPS/GCC build? it used to be possible.

It's an Octane2 running IRIX 6.5.30 (i forgot the specs, but i think it's an R12K @400 MHz with Vpro8). I didn't get any CD's with it.
I once tried compiling blender with gcc, but it failed at the linking stage. Maybe I should try again...
At the moment I probably only can help by asking if the libsball code is of any use on IRIX and try to solve any issues it has.

greetings,
sgefant

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:59 pm 

squeen wrote:
The libsball link is niffty. I use the Spaceball 5000 and I'm hoping it's supported.

With the 5000 at least, the drivers provided by the manufacturer are X11 drivers. So, you start their app and then any other app change get spaceball input via Xevents sent to it's application window. I added the code to our scene graph library in order to use the spaceball, and it works on Linux and/or IRIX 'cause it's just X events.

What is neat about libsball is that I might be able to by-pass (manually) starting their xdriver application and just have our scene graph app talk to the serial port directly.

Now the USB 5000's are probably another story...

libsball directly talks to the serial port, so there's no need for the X11 drivers. It probably doesn't support the USB devices, as they seem to use a different protocol. http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/ might be an alternative, as it doesn't depend on X11 (though I've never used it).

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:27 pm 

Hi all,

I finally managed to compile blender using gcc.
You can get a test build of blender with support for spaceballs from http://www.quitch.net/~stefanga/blender ... rix.tar.gz

It uses some stuff from nekoware (libdb-4.4, libiconv, libz, and python). Other than that, the tarball should contain everything needed.
In order to get it to work, I had to remove the spaceball from System Manager (what does it do apart from setting up symlinks in /dev , btw?).
The path to the serial device is hardcoded to /dev/ttyd2, so the spaceball needs to be connected to the 2nd serial port.

Any feedback welcome (except for telling me to go back to #blenderchat :))

greetings,
sgefant

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:20 pm 

sgefant wrote:
Any feedback welcome (except for telling me to go back to #blenderchat :)

dude 'REPRESENT SGI THERE'!

actually #blenderchat is/was too stupid silly. every other line was LOL. i shouldn't wish that on anyone.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:28 pm 

skywriter wrote:
dude 'REPRESENT SGI THERE'!

actually #blenderchat is/was too stupid silly. every other line was LOL. i shouldn't wish that on anyone.

I gave up going there a long time ago.

Any remarks on the build? I'm wondering if it runs/works on other systems at all.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:50 pm 

Hello,

Thank you very much for your work! I am going to try your Blender build with my Magellan SpaceMouse.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:10 pm 

Quote:
It probably doesn't support the USB devices, as they seem to use a different protocol. http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/ might be an alternative, as it doesn't depend on X11 (though I've never used it).

Hi, I'm the author of the free spacenav driver.
Just stumbled upon this thread by accident, and thought I should add that spacenavd won't work with IRIX at this point. I'd like to support all UNIXes, but unfortunately I don't have USB ports on my SGI (I have an Octane2).
If any programmer who has a USB-capable SGI workstation would like to help in adding that feature, I'd love to work with you, please contact me: nuclear (at) member.fsf.org

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:38 am 

Pardon me for zombifying a thread here, but does anyone have a mirror of http://www.quitch.net/~stefanga/blender ... rix.tar.gz up? I'd be overjoyed to be able to use my spacemouse with Blender, any Blender, even an old one!