Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:02 am 

I noticed there are two video options available for the O2, the Analog AV1 and the Proffessional video that was included in the "Studio Bundle" O2s. Can anyone explain what the major difference between the two are?

If I wanted to use my O2 as a video rig, would it be worth the $$ to upgrade to the proffessional version?

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:42 am 

I think you're referring to the 601 digital video option:

http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/o2/1570.pdf

As far as I know it only supports standard definition (NTSC and PAL):

http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/ ... ptions.pdf

So the question is whether you want to build a video capture/editing machine that's an SGI or a machine that's fits a certain criteria. If it has to be an SGI you're better off with an Octane, I wouldn't bother with the digital board for an O2 unless you find one cheap.

Apples are good mainly for pie.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:19 am 

bjames wrote:
I noticed there are two video options available for the O2, the Analog AV1 and the Proffessional video that was included in the "Studio Bundle" O2s. Can anyone explain what the major difference between the two are?

The AV1 has analog S-video and composite inputs, as well as a parallel digital interface for the O2cam.

The AV2 (Professional Video Option) does not have analog video inputs, only SDI (serial digital interface). Unless you are using high end video gear that has SDI (Digital Betacam, etc.) , the AV2 would be of little use to you.

Miranda used to make the VIVO, an adaptor/dongle that would connect to the digital port on the AV1 and provide SDI input and output.

SGI also sold the DVLink solution, an IEEE1394 (Firewire) PCI card bundled with cables and the DVLink software utility for capture and export. It was pretty much a joke.

There's very little reason to spend significant money on video options for the O2 these days. Standard off-the-shelf Macs or PCs can run circles around the O2 in terms of processing power, and video hardware and software options for them are both plentiful and inexpensive.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:26 am 

Thanks for the info... very informative. I was more courious on the performace/video quality diff between the two cards. I stick with the AV1 as I dont have an SDI device.