Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:07 am 

When I send my video out (through the svideo) to an external video(ntsc) monitor, the image on the TV appears to be a lower color pallet compared to what is displayed on the monitor. For example imaging a spot light pointing directly onto a flat object, the fall off area seems to be banded/dithered similar to if you were using 256 colors. Also the image seems a little fuzzy. Is there any way to improve the output color to not create this banding from appearing around gradiants.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:46 pm 

bjames wrote:
When I send my video out (through the svideo) to an external video(ntsc) monitor, the image on the TV appears to be a lower color pallet compared to what is displayed on the monitor. For example imaging a spot light pointing directly onto a flat object, the fall off area seems to be banded/dithered similar to if you were using 256 colors. Also the image seems a little fuzzy. Is there any way to improve the output color to not create this banding from appearing around gradiants.

You could "calibrate" color video and sharpness out via video panel, but be aware that results will vary widely between television screens. Also, I wouldn't use S-Video out if you're using a modern teevee screen; modern tvs have much better comb filters in them than older S-video hardware has, though I'm not certain this will solve your problem.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:33 pm 

Although the PVO does indeed do uncompressed video capture, my recollection <from SGI marketing literature of the period> was the Octane Personal Video Option was aimed more at uses that involved the O2 camera port, such as videoconferencing and web cam uses, with light-weight video capture a secondary function.

Fairly complete IRIX installs usually include "inperson" for videoconferencing <see "man inperson">. SGI also marketed a software program, <sgimeeting> that they touted as including some compatability with Microsoft's dataconferencing product. The PVO offered a less expensive option for those that didn't need the higher-end capabilities of the Octane Digital Video and/or Octane Compression Options.

There is some info about how the PVO handles colorspace at TechPubs.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *