Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:48 am 

I've was working on our in-house scene graph library last week. We weren't getting very good surface reflection up close with Cube maps, so I justed added a planar reflection render-to-texture (FBO) option. So far so good, but I'm still wrestling with reflecting all the light sources (and shadowmaps!). Still kinda cool. Runs real-time (2 lights, 2 reflection surfaces updated each frame) at around 30 fps with fragment lighting and 5x5 PCF shadows in a pixel shader (Quadro FX 5600). Gonna take a bit of wrangling to get it working on the Onxy.

Attachments:
mirrors.png
mirrors.png [ 119.4 KiB | Viewed 875 times ]

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice work! Will be interesting to see how it does on the Onyx :)

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:26 am 

squeen wrote:
so I justed added a planar reflection render-to-texture (FBO) option.

Cool; I just started learning about FBOs last week and was nicely surprised how much easier they are to use than p-buffers. I don't suppose IRIX has any support for them?

squeen wrote:
Gonna take a bit of wrangling to get it working on the Onxy.

Wasn't the traditional OpenGL method to use the stencil buffer and draw the scene and reflection separately?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:06 am 

squeen wrote:
I've was working on our in-house scene graph library last week. We weren't getting very good surface reflection up close with Cube maps, so I justed added a planar reflection render-to-texture (FBO) option. So far so good, but I'm still wrestling with reflecting all the light sources (and shadowmaps!).

No idea whether you could use it - but take a look at http://www.radiance-online.org/ anyhow - might just be the thing you are after.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:08 pm 

The Onyx will only have pbuffers and will suffer the hit of reading back (copying) to texture. Fortunately, IR is still very fast with pixel read. We'll see!

I've looked at Radiance a bunch of times, but we are going for hardware accelerated (real-time). Also, I have an obsession for writing my own applications as part of the learning process.

It's been a crappy month at work. Thanks for letting me share one of the lighter moments.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

squeen wrote:
It's been a crappy month at work. Thanks for letting me share one of the lighter moments.

And thank you for sharing - I enjoy these peeks at your various graphics projects.

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:32 pm 

squeen wrote:
I've looked at Radiance a bunch of times, but we are going for hardware accelerated (real-time). Also, I have an obsession for writing my own applications as part of the learning process.

Taken. But does that mean you did alot of Radiance scripting before?

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:23 am 

Hey, that looks really nice. If you can limit your scenario so it fits, it will be a good solution.

For all others only realtime raytracing will be the solution. But the requirements to code it yourself are completely different:

- SIMD coding (adieu readability)
- acceleration structures (balance between updatebility, memory usage and speed)
- fast materials (phong is easy, texture filtering sucks)
- reading and understanding all newest papers on the net (raytracing is still a very hot research topic)
- performant multithreading
- dealing with jerky compilers (all of them suck, each one has his special areas where it sucks most)
- clustering (8 cores is simply not enough for a typical 1280x1024 resolution)

Matthias

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:25 am 

nekonoko wrote:
Nice work! Will be interesting to see how it does on the Onyx :)

indeed, looking forward to see this as well :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:19 pm 

Since there's nothing in the sample pic which couldn't be done with Radiance, I'd like to learn why you dismissed Radiance for your job.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:35 pm 

Oskar45 wrote:
Since there's nothing in the sample pic which couldn't be done with Radiance, I'd like to learn why you dismissed Radiance for your job.

I think he answered that - he didn't think Radiance would work real-time. After my quick glance at the site I didn't think it was really aimed at that either. But if you know someone running it at 30fps, that might be interesting to a lot of people. I didn't really see that in my look at their archives, but didn't try too hard either.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:07 pm 

dc_v01 wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:
But if you know someone running it at 30fps, that might be interesting to a lot of people.

I myself can't answer that. The best way to find out about it would be to simply post to their mailing list. Greg Ward - the author of Radiance - is a quite helpful guy [I correspond with him occasionally since the first draft of his book], and I'm sure he would be more than willing to answer all concerns in this regard and supply hints for speeding up...

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:09 am 

I thought about talking to Greg Ward regarding getting real physics based lighting modeling into our system.
Yes, my scene graph uses OpenGL so it's hardware rendering. Radiance (I think) is pure CPU software which would be many times slower. With the advent of shaders, GPU radiosity is becoming a reality. Brombear, alludes to all the sticky areas in his post above (but radiosity != ray trace as I understand the terms).

When I started I wanted real-time interaction (which we have). With the pressure to produce more physically accurate lighting results (i.e. exactly what will a digital video camera see in a given environment), its hard to keep the frame rate up. But that struggle is the essential fun and challenge of it all, right?

Part of my aversion to Radiance is not it's capabilities. I have a pathological need to write my own software as a means of learning (and controlling) the intricacies of a problem.

Sometimes, something new and exciting pops out. Other times I just reinvent the wheel. Que Sera Sera. :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:36 am 

You might be able to use Radiance to pre-compute the global illumination and make a bunch of ambient-light texture maps for your OpenGL render. Many video games use this technique; I think they call it "texture baking". The lighting is static but it looks quite realistic since you get bounce and more detailed shading.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:29 am 

In GPU Gems 2 this is called "ambient occlusion" and though it's really a hack (i.e. ambient is a fake out for real radiosity) it's next on the list. If I did as you suggest, it would be better--use a true radiosity application for precomputed true diffuse.

Here's another screenshot from the real-time app. This scene runs at only at 6 fps. (Does not have the new planar reflection maps in it yet, just bump maps, dynamic cube maps and shadow maps)

Attachment:
File comment: real-time sim visualization
hst.jpg
hst.jpg [ 737.84 KiB | Viewed 890 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next