Discreet Flint vs Effect

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
tbcpp

Discreet Flint vs Effect

Unread postby tbcpp » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:26 am

I got my hands on a entry level Effect 7.1 O2 system (512MB RAM, 2x 9GB stones, 250Mhz R10k), and am having a blast learning the discreet work flow for the first time. However, most of the manuals seem to combine both Effect and Flint together. From what I can tell, Effect is a lower end, real-time playback from RAM (like Combustion) app, while Flint does full res real-time playback from the disks. Is this right, or am I totally off base?
:O2000: :Octane: :O2: :O2:
UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. -- Dennis Ritchie

lewis

Re: Discreet Flint vs Effect

Unread postby lewis » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:02 am

There's essentially no difference. The stuff that ran on the O2 kept switching names - up until version 5.5 it was Flint, 6 and 7 were Effect Option 3, then 8 was called Spark (sic!). They're all Flint under the hood and had all the same features as Flint on Octanes except for a few tiny things (keyer merge curves in Action aren't done in the viewport for eg).

I never managed to get realtime PAL from the disks on the two O2 systems I've used, even with a fibre array on an R12k400. I've heard that it is possible somehow.

Return to “SGI: Video”