"Add to backgrounds" popup menu typerule and scrip

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
cybercow

Unread postby cybercow » Tue May 08, 2007 5:53 am

Let me know the result and I'll see if I can nail the problem for you.

So...

all u described works ok

- i have the "Add to backgrounds option" on the menu when rightclicked an image file
- i checked the .backgrounds file u described and the pic IS added to the end of the file -> here i posted the file (html format) http://www.emedia.hr/sgi/.backgrounds.html the two last records are added tru your menu option

but here the story ends i NOT have the added pictures in the LIST when going to "Desktop > Customize > Background" ...
can`t track the gap :( (is maybe because i have 8 bit gr. ? or is not important)

Thnx

deBug
Donor
Donor

Unread postby deBug » Tue May 08, 2007 6:28 am

cybercow wrote:
Let me know the result and I'll see if I can nail the problem for you.

So...

all u described works ok

- i have the "Add to backgrounds option" on the menu when rightclicked an image file
- i checked the .backgrounds file u described and the pic IS added to the end of the file -> here i posted the file (html format) http://www.emedia.hr/sgi/.backgrounds.html the two last records are added tru your menu option

but here the story ends i NOT have the added pictures in the LIST when going to "Desktop > Customize > Background" ...
can`t track the gap :( (is maybe because i have 8 bit gr. ? or is not important)

Thnx

I haven't tested it on 8 bit gfx, but it might be a good test to set the gfx to 24 bit, or is that not possible with your hardware?

Anyway the script seems to do it's job as the info in your .backgrounds is correct.
The background setting dialog should take it from there, your sure you not just missed the new entry in the listing as it is sorted alphabetically? (your new entry will not be att the bottom if you already have other entries)

thorv

Extra !

Unread postby thorv » Fri May 11, 2007 4:15 am

Well, it's running very well and easily.

Thanks DeBug
FuelR14k600/V12/1GB - Octane 2xR12k@300/V8/1GB - SGI 320 (inside standard PC box) 2xP3@450/512MB W2k - Athlon 64x2 4200+/7900GS/2GB XP/OpenSuse - Sinclair ZX-81/16k ram ext.

ka0s

Unread postby ka0s » Sat May 12, 2007 4:38 am

Nice work Debug!!!!
I can feel it, my mind is going ....

DaJuice

Unread postby DaJuice » Sat May 12, 2007 12:25 pm

Thank you debug, very neat. :)

shoe

Re: "Add to backgrounds" popup menu typerule and scrip

Unread postby shoe » Wed May 23, 2007 2:59 am

Been hoping for something like this for years! Thanks a lot! :D

/shoe

deBug
Donor
Donor

Unread postby deBug » Wed May 23, 2007 10:04 am

shoe wrote:Been hoping for something like this for years! Thanks a lot! :D

/shoe

Your welcome, I glad that someone else finds it usefull :)

I have found it hard to understand why basic things like adding an icon to Icon view, adding a new menu to the toolchest, adding a background image etc, recuired the user to modify text files. Where is the GUI tools to this I always thought?
When I started to use IRIX in 1995 it was the most wonderfull media GUI around! All the little cool stuff you could do,the easy handling of files in the fileviewer, the preview of images, the cool crached chevy 57 icon of the core dumps, the sound affects, the drag and drop functions etc were just wonderfull.
And then the GUI development just halted :(

I guess they had probably fixed this if they hadn't lost focus and if Jim Clark hadn't left SGI.
So IRIX GUI is somewhat frozen in time off the mid 90.

I have wanted to fix some of these shortcomings for some time but as I'm no C developer I couldnt do it.
But when I realized that typerules could expand the built in menu system it was very easy, not more than 10 lines of scripting so I'm surprized that no one had thought about it before.

On the other hand maybe professional IRIX users actually USE their SGI boxes instead of playing around with them.
:D

I have more stuff I'm working on to simplify basic task that I will polish upp and release when I get some free time.

//deBug
Mein Führer, I can walk!

dc_v01

Unread postby dc_v01 » Wed May 23, 2007 1:10 pm

deBug wrote:On the other hand maybe professional IRIX users actually USE their SGI boxes instead of playing around with them.
:D

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that most SGI boxes were used to run only a single app, and pretty much dedicated to it. So having lots of fancy icons wasn't a real big concern, given the number of programs they actually used...

dir_marillion

Unread postby dir_marillion » Thu May 24, 2007 3:00 pm

Hi, I have installed the package (both times) as a root, from the README instructions. I have added some new pictures into my backgrounds file (with the right click of my mouse).

I use Irix 6.5.22 (mips3 R4400 250, Indigo2 - Solid Impact 1280*1024 24 bit).

I can select (APPLY) a picture from the desktop->customize->background but I cannot see this to my background. I still can only see IRIX default backgrounds.

Do you have a solution for that ?

deBug
Donor
Donor

Unread postby deBug » Thu May 24, 2007 3:18 pm

dir_marillion wrote:Hi, I have installed the package (both times) as a root, from the README instructions. I have added some new pictures into my backgrounds file (with the right click of my mouse).

I use Irix 6.5.22 (mips3 R4400 250, Indigo2 - Solid Impact 1280*1024 24 bit).

I can select (APPLY) a picture from the desktop->customize->background but I cannot see this to my background. I still can only see IRIX default backgrounds.

Do you have a solution for that ?

Sorry, No idea.
It seems the script is doing its job if it shows up in the background dialog. Why Irix wont display it is a mystery.
Have you tried with a couple different images, perhaps with different formats - jpg, tiff etc?

//deBug
Mein Führer, I can walk!

dir_marillion

Unread postby dir_marillion » Sun May 27, 2007 2:08 pm

No, I have only Jpeg pictures in my indigo2 (and I am wating for the Next Releases of Neko, for mips3).

All other people here use tiff or gif pictures for their backgrounds ? ... because they say, they liked the script

I have to report that my other SGI O2 that runs Irix 6.5.29 has the same problem !! :cry:

deBug
Donor
Donor

Unread postby deBug » Sun May 27, 2007 8:32 pm

dir_marillion wrote:No, I have only Jpeg pictures in my indigo2 (and I am wating for the Next Releases of Neko, for mips3).

All other people here use tiff or gif pictures for their backgrounds ? ... because they say, they liked the script

I have to report that my other SGI O2 that runs Irix 6.5.29 has the same problem !! :cry:

As I said the script is doing it's job.
You have to figure out why you IRIX boxes dont display your Images, thats why I sugested trying other images (smaller ones, maybe different format)
Mein Führer, I can walk!

dir_marillion

Unread postby dir_marillion » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:00 am

Sorry, but the script still is not running here. I have Indigo2 (Solid Impact) with 6.5.22 and an O2 with 6.5.29 24bit desktop enabled in both machines, I have a lot of different pictures in different formats. The right click works, the picture goes to the backgrounds, but it is not working as a wallpaper.
The other Irix's backgrounds have no problem.

Please let me know If you have any idea what is happening.

Thanks

fvador59

Unread postby fvador59 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:59 am

Yessssss ! thanks for this fabulous script Debug ;)
Waiting for other good ideas.
'bravo'
Octane2 Irix 6.5.28f.
PC_Linux Redhat.
Smoke Artist.

deBug
Donor
Donor

Unread postby deBug » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:40 pm

dir_marillion wrote:Sorry, but the script still is not running here. I have Indigo2 (Solid Impact) with 6.5.22 and an O2 with 6.5.29 24bit desktop enabled in both machines, I have a lot of different pictures in different formats. The right click works, the picture goes to the backgrounds, but it is not working as a wallpaper.
The other Irix's backgrounds have no problem.

Please let me know If you have any idea what is happening.

Thanks

Hi mariillion
I think I know why it is not working on your computer.
Happened to me on a newly installed box today.
The problem was a dot in the path to the image.
So make sure there are no dots or spaces in folder or file names and it should work for you.

Ill see if can get this fixed and wrap it up in a tardist.

//deBug
Mein Führer, I can walk!

Return to “IRIX and Software”