Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:38 am 

hi dj, forgot about writing the reply, sorry.

ok, i did just install the most recent libiconv (from nekoware). that didn't fix the problem, it's still crashing on that movie-file and i have no libquicktime on the system.
i also tried out the windows build of 0.6.0 and it's not crashing on that very moviefile nor slowing down when i step into a directory of video files at all.

on both windows and irix, scaling from PAL to 16x9 slows down the playback, gr_osview shows that one cpu is more or less maxed out/task manager gives me slightly under 30% cpu usage (on four logical CPU cores).
systems in question are a dual600 oct2 and a dual 3 ghz xeon HT.

what i noticed is that the windows build has the same performance issue with my tga sequences in 720x576, 24 bit + alpha channel (renderoutput from a 3D app), shown as rgba/u8 in djv_view. playback drops to about 1 frame per second if such a sequence is opened.

and i have only tga/tif/rgb 8bit images for testing unfortunately.

btw. something that i found in the windows build - it only shows me three drives in the directory menu in the filebrowser, even if there are more. i can still access them by typing the letter but it left me wondering.

cheers.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:07 am 

ka0s wrote:
It's faster then version 0.6.0 for sure.
I now get more then 32 frames when playing a standard tga sequence.

That's good news! Thanks.

ka0s wrote:
But it can only do 5 frames a second when I try the scale to 16x9 option on a 720x576 anamorph tga sequence.

The scaling stuff is still software based, so yeah, it's relatively slow... When I switch over to an OpenGL pipeline it should be real-time (with texture hardware).

ka0s wrote:
I hope the OpenGL will take advantage of the V10 Hardware cause that should be fast enough for sure !)

I'm getting a V8 next week, so I'll have an incentive to make it run fast on odyssey hardware :).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:29 am 

GIJoe wrote:
ok, i did just install the most recent libiconv (from nekoware). that didn't fix the problem, it's still crashing on that movie-file and i have no libquicktime on the system.

Thanks for checking that out; would it be possible to send me an example of the file that's causing the crash?

GIJoe wrote:
i also tried out the windows build of 0.6.0 and it's not crashing on that very moviefile nor slowing down when i step into a directory of video files at all.

I don't have QuickTime support for windows yet, so it's ignoring those files.

GIJoe wrote:
on both windows and irix, scaling from PAL to 16x9 slows down the playback, gr_osview shows that one cpu is more or less maxed out/task manager gives me slightly under 30% cpu usage (on four logical CPU cores).
systems in question are a dual600 oct2 and a dual 3 ghz xeon HT.

The next couple of versions I'll be implementing more features in OpenGL which will hopefully allow real-time playback when scaling. It's all software based right now.

GIJoe wrote:
what i noticed is that the windows build has the same performance issue with my tga sequences in 720x576, 24 bit + alpha channel (renderoutput from a 3D app), shown as rgba/u8 in djv_view. playback drops to about 1 frame per second if such a sequence is opened.

That's very odd; it sounds like you have some decent hardware so it should be much faster than that. Would you mind trying the latest version I just released, 0.6.1? The scaling will still be slow, but overall the I/O should be faster. Or if you could send me an example image, that would be helpful.

GIJoe wrote:
btw. something that i found in the windows build - it only shows me three drives in the directory menu in the filebrowser, even if there are more. i can still access them by typing the letter but it left me wondering.

Sorry, I'm just learning about windows, and in my rush to get a release out I hard-wired C, D, and E :). The latest version 0.6.1 fixes that.

I sure am glad I started supporting windows though; the number of downloads has been more than IRIX, Linux, and Solaris combined :shock:.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:56 pm 

phew, it has certainly been a while, hasn't it? ;)

i tried 0.6.1 windows the other day in the company and i noticed that it does not seem to handle UNC filepaths, you might want to look into that. it was slow on file sequences with alpha again tho. i can send you some example files that make the windows and irix builds choke for me. although... these are nothing special, you should be able to easily replicate by adding alpha to any PAL/HD image sequence in tga format, for example.

this time, i tested on the work box, which is an AMD 4400 X2 or so, with geforce 79something GTX and 2 gigs of RAM, running XP.

if you still want it, i can send you a mov file that's crashing the irix build here.
sorry for the late replies.

i found that this app would be quite cool to have at work, a decent player for those HD image sequences outputted from a console devkit could definitely speed up work for some departments which are now using ugly things like adobe premiere for that task. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:25 am 

GIJoe wrote:
phew, it has certainly been a while, hasn't it? ;)

No worries; I appreciate the feedback.

GIJoe wrote:
i tried 0.6.1 windows the other day in the company and i noticed that it does not seem to handle UNC filepaths, you might want to look into that.

Will do; I'm just learning Windows so bear with me. :)

GIJoe wrote:
it was slow on file sequences with alpha again tho. i can send you some example files that make the windows and irix builds choke for me. although... these are nothing special, you should be able to easily replicate by adding alpha to any PAL/HD image sequence in tga format, for example.

Example files would be really helpfull; if it's cool, just email them to me at: mailto:darbyjohnston@yahoo.com

I'm working on a new OpenGL accelerated version which I hope will be much faster; hopefully it will be out in a couple of weeks...

GIJoe wrote:
i found that this app would be quite cool to have at work, a decent player for those HD image sequences outputted from a console devkit could definitely speed up work for some departments which are now using ugly things like adobe premiere for that task. :)

And of course the price is hard to beat. :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 am 

hi there!
i'been trying to playback some sequences i rendered and i have just noticed it seems djv needs the padding to be just before the file extension to work
i.e. i have a bunch of render.00**.OCC.tif that djv fails to understand as a sequence ( render.00**.tif goes ok, of course )
will this request give you a buch of headaches?
thanks!