Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:14 am 

With the holiday season in full swing most of us should be getting a few days off, which means extra time for anime! Here's what I've been watching lately:

Full Metal Panic? (Fumoffu) series
Bottle Fairy (Love it!)
Fullmetal Alchemist (just started watching)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am on vacation this week but I'm not at home - don't have any anime with me :(

I've been watching all sorts of odds and ends over the past weeks; for example I watched the first few episodes of Lord of Lords Ryu Knight last week - kind of neat since I'd originally watched that series off broadcast while in Japan many years ago. Other things I've watched a least an episode or two of recently include Gunslinger Girl, Cosmic Baton Girl Comet-san, Maico 2010 (I've read the manga for this as well) and Avenger. My backlog is pretty immense; I did watch a bit of Fumoffu a couple months back :)

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:36 am 

Koukaku Kidoutai Stand Alone Complex. I junked the first sixteen episodes in one go two weekends ago. ;-)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:05 pm 

Hakimoto wrote:
Koukaku Kidoutai Stand Alone Complex. I junked the first sixteen episodes in one go two weekends ago. ;-)

Hah! They're sitting on my shelve as well to be viewed.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:01 pm 

poke'mon :-) and i'm learning the card game with my son. it's still the funniest thing out there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:19 pm 

Cowboy Bebop- sad when something this good is only 26 episodes. Didn't get a chance to see the movie!!! On the lookout for it! English dubbing please ;-)

Inuyasha - yet to see over 50 episodes due to ongoing dubbing of the original 132~137 some episodes (none of movies as far as I've heard. some one tell me I'm wrong!!!!)

Trigun- again only 26..sign..well it was getting a little similiar after awhile anyway..

.hack//sign- Not many but haven't seen them all!

The whole cartoon network "adult swim" family!!!! hopefully they will keep buying the newly dubbed episodes.

Funny fanfic, the English Voices in Inuyasha are done mostly the same people who do X-Men: Evolution!

Miroku=Cyclops (Scott Summers)
Inuyasha=Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff)
Kagome= Kurt's (nightcrawler's) Girlfriend
Naraku=Juggernaut (Cain Marko)
Princess Sango =Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) H..O..T in Both series!!!

Too bad X-Men: Evolution stopped after 4 Seasons... I loved how they brough back old characters from the original animated series! But who knows? Maybe they'll come back for another season...

Post subject: Concerning Poke'mon...
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:30 pm 

By the way concerning Poke’mon...

From a literal standpoint don't you find it odd that all animals in their world ARE POKEMON. This brings up the question of, when they eat meat then wouldn't you by definition be eating a poke’mon? If poke’mon came from space and killed all the indigenous life then formed the current ecosystem then they would have to eat each other to survive! But they don't... They just seem to be intelligent enough to talk yet they're forcibly pushed to fight and get hurt and have no rights!

Like servants or slaves. They also have these very destructive powers yet they don't use them to hunt for food (may be fish) ...or to drive people way from their habitat.

So lets recap, all meat is poke’mon, they have no rights but can talk and figure things out and you force them to fight until they are so injured they cannot anymore. Is this really the world we want your kids emulating?

Ok I'm joking, I'm not serious these are just things I think about. :-)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:31 am 

OH, i almost forgot:

http://www.daftpunk.com/

DVD seems to be available now in europe.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I completely forgot to mention one of my favorite shows this season, Shinkon Gattai Godannar. I love the retro 70's style along with the modern animation and fanservice, great stuff.

http://www.godannar.com/

Sumeba Miyako no Cosmos-Sou Suttoko Taisen Dokkoida was a lot of fun as well, though that was technically last season. The fansubs just finished up not too long ago though.

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:26 am 

oi! how can i forget my real fav's (ok, i've been sick lately):
Miyazaki's:
My Neighbor Totoro
Castle in the Sky
Kiki's delivery service
Spirited Away

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:50 am 

krawitjr wrote:
Ok I'm joking, I'm not serious these are just things I think about. :-)

i think the practical matter is that this perspective is simplly immaterial to those that enjoy that show. all cartooning has a heritage of seemingly irrational juxtapositions of animal characters and food. example: the thanksgiving barnyard feast where all barnyard animals sit down to a nice turkey dinner, even a turkey is enjoys the feast!

i need to find old 'astroboy' on DVD. i remember watching that growing up, and kimba the white lion too!

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:05 pm 

Well as I said I realize that. I did post my favorites on the reply before my poke’mon one. Do you think Inuyasha is true to life? NO, it's entertainment. I thought someone would have a laugh over it… Wow. I guess the sense of humor got sucked out of the room today or something. Or maybe it just died from lack of use…

I like certain shows for the completeness of the story line. Most of the ones I listed meet those criteria. I found poke’mon to be fun but the fact that daily life was never addressed kind of bothered me. Also things like, where do the trainers get their money to eat without a poke’mon center around to get free stuff from? They do all sorts of favors but never make any money? Sometimes they get food in return… but they don’t seem to be able to survive without grabbing free stuff from poke’mon centers.

Of the shows I’ve listed, money and how to live is a concern within the show! Makes it more true to life in that regard. I take cartoons, of any sort, as another way to tell a story, naturally. But the story must me fun and fulfills all your curiosities while bringing you new adventures. Stories that don’t address anything (history of plotline, character development, setting, conflict) fully have me a little peeved. If you’re going to be presented with a story you shouldn’t just know what’s going on, you should know what has happened to lead there to that point in relation to imaging yourself making that same trek. How can a story be fully appreciated and absorbed without mapping it to your own fears, dreams, hopes, loves and doubts. When those aren’t addressed the story just can’t be appreciated, at least buy me.

-Josh K.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

skywriter wrote:
oi! how can i forget my real fav's (ok, i've been sick lately):
Miyazaki's:
My Neighbor Totoro
Castle in the Sky
Kiki's delivery service
Spirited Away

Fantastic list there, some of my all time favorites as well.

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:27 pm 

nekonoko wrote:
I completely forgot to mention one of my favorite shows this season, Shinkon Gattai Godannar. I love the retro 70's style along with the modern animation and fanservice, great stuff.

I have to agree, Godannar is a lot of fun. Nurse Witch Komugi has some good fanservice, something that they even make fun of. Lately I have been watching Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. The subject matter is a little heavier than most of the stuff I watch, but it mirrors some of the events in my life. :( Others:
Ai Aori Aoshi Enishi = a clone of Love Hina in some respects
Knights of Ramones = plenty of fanservice
Happy Lesson ... (I really have to change my avatar)
My current favorite still has to be Macross Plus. Gotta love the YF-23.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

0ctane wrote:
Nurse Witch Komugi has some good fanservice, something that they even make fun of.

komugi.nekochan.net is actually this web server (http://www.nekochan.net, an O2) while Koyori is my Octane. I went with the small = Komugi, large = Koyori scheme :D

I used to use a Koyori avatar in the forum, my character in Final Fantasy XI Online is Koyori (a Mithra), and I just had to take a picture of a Koyori cosplayer while at AX last year (http://www.nekochan.net/gallery/album37/IMG_1961). So I guess I like that title a little :D

All Rights Reserved.