Help me choose: Powerbook, iBook or mini even

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
makkan77

Help me choose: Powerbook, iBook or mini even

Unread postby makkan77 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:09 am

I've been wanting to buy a Mac now for almost a year, but I can't really decide which one to go for. What I would be doing with it is mainly daily usage. Such as e-mail and surfing. But I would also like to use imovie to edit the occasional home movie. Ofcourse I would want to be able to watch dvd's and preferably burn them aswell. And last I would like to be able to atleast do some minor work from home. I mainly use the Adobe CS applications at work. I'm not talking about a 8 hour workday from home, just the ability to open a document fix things if it is needed.

Money is an issue, but I'm considering these options, i.e I can afford these but I wouldn't want to spend money on something I wouldn't really use.
    Powerbook 12" or 15"
    iBook 12" or 14"
    mac mini (with extra everything)

In order of importance to me I'd like to list this aswell:
    MacOSX (that's why I'm buying one)
    Usability (the 12" might seem nice to me but if it's unusable due to the small screen I might go for a bigger one)
    Portability
    DVD-R (I rate it under portability since it can be solved with an external device)

Gaming is not interesting, I have a GameCube and a GameBoy Advance for that.

So based on this and your own experiences what would you recommend?
Behold my spermlogo, for it is I: Quick, Ambitious, creative and a tad bit sexually oriented.
----------------
[SGI Indigo2 R10K | High Impact | Indigo2 Video for IMPACT with indycam | Irix 6.5.22m]

QuicksilverG4

Unread postby QuicksilverG4 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:28 pm

Skip the mini. Go for the 12" or 15" Powerbook. I had a G3 Powerbook (Lombard) when a friend bought a 12" Powerbook about a year ago. With the 12" screen being smaller than the one on my G3, I thought it'd be tough to get used to and was pushing him to get the 15". But it really wasn't bad at all. And the Ti case looked and felt awesome :D

His was a 1.33 GHz. Web browsing and email were fine of course. I never played with video on it, but you shoudn't have any problems if not doing anything major. After all, iMovie came out with the G3 iMacs. We did have DVD buring races :lol: Ripped with MacTheRipper (great name ;) ), compressed with DVD2One and burnt with Toast. My 933 G4 tower would normally come out just ahead of the powerbook even though I could only burn at 1x vs his 2 or 4x. There wasn't much of a difference and the few minutes advantage I had is proably due to a faster hard drive.

makkan77

Unread postby makkan77 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:08 am

I was looking at the iBook today and the difference isn't that big any more.

mainly it's the ability to get superdrive in the 12" pb, the cpu speed and the line in jack.. other than that..

so is there any reason I should go for the more expensive pb unless I really need the superdrive?
Behold my spermlogo, for it is I: Quick, Ambitious, creative and a tad bit sexually oriented.

----------------

[SGI Indigo2 R10K | High Impact | Indigo2 Video for IMPACT with indycam | Irix 6.5.22m]

Cory5412

Unread postby Cory5412 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:44 am

I would go with the iBook unless screen space is really important to you, My PowerBook is a fifteen incher, and it's display runs at 1280x854. I really enjoy the extra screen space, and find myself becoming slightly frustrated when I need to run OS X at 1024x768. However, final cut and other screen-hungry applications will do that to you. :P

If you're only looking at the 12 inch PowerBook, then I'd suggest that you just nab the iBook. I haven't heard any rumors of an impending speedbump, so it sounds like right now is a good time to go ahead and make the jump.
I [heart] the Performer Town Demo

makkan77

Unread postby makkan77 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:28 am

well I've stepped into the "I will buy the 12" iBook zone" and will make the deal within a couple of days.. so unless someone really thinks I'm making a mistake I guess a 12" iBook it is :)

----------------

mainframe.ai

Unread postby mainframe.ai » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:23 pm

As a fresh owner of a 17" Powerbook, I can only state that if screen real estate while on the road is not an issue… go ahead… an get one… (ibook)
These are nice and fast computers… :-)
And at home you can dual screen that thingy… even the new ones (radeon 9550…) with a firmware hack. Actually we have right now one in the company which is extended in this way.

But:
If screen real estate is an issue… get a 15 or even better a 17" powerbook… 

Nothing beats a big screen… only a bigger screen…

Cheers,
Martin
--
Apple Macbook Pro C2D 2.33 2GB RAM
SGI Octane2 r12k 400 1.5 GB
and some other stuff… that won't count… 

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:21 pm

I currently own both a 12" powerbook (1ghz), and a mini (1.25ghz). Really the only decision between them (though I'd recommend an ibook instead of a powerbook for a 12", and use the money you save for more ram, and an external firewire DVD-R) is whether or not you care for mobility. I love having the powerbook, I use it all the time. My Mini sits at my desk and performs server duties previously served by a 110mhz SparcStation 5.

Both are good. The mini is good for most tasks, though obviously it won't be as fast as the ibook for graphics tasks as the graphics card in the ibook is much better than what the mini has these days...

makkan77

Unread postby makkan77 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:43 am

I'm starting to feel very confident in the 12" iBook. I was worried about feeling that I cheaped out buying the ibook instead of the powebook but when powerbook users tells me to spend my money more wisely it's pretty clear what I want.

Thanks alot for all your input.

----------------

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:49 am

makkan77 wrote:I'm starting to feel very confident in the 12" iBook. I was worried about feeling that I cheaped out buying the ibook instead of the powebook but when powerbook users tells me to spend my money more wisely it's pretty clear what I want.

Thanks alot for all your input.

This is how I look at this issue - if money is no object, by all means, get the PB. However, for the price of an entry level 15' inch Powerbook, you can purchase two 12' inch iBooks, or an iBook and two good 19' inch LCD panels, or an Ibook, two 17' inch LCD panels, a color iPod, and still have money left over for an Octane 2/O2. :) Considering how expensive notebooks are in general, It's always good to look for the best value for performance and portability.
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.

mainframe.ai

Unread postby mainframe.ai » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:53 am

Hehe… We only tell you to get an iBook… in order to be able to brag around with our powerbooks… you know… chicks fall for powerbooks… ;-)
(yeah, right… )

If screen real estate on the road were not an issue for me, I would be really happy with an ibook, too… :-) And would have got one…
Luckily this time my powerbook was bought for me… (and money was not an issue here… really…kinda… so I got what I wanted… )

The only thing I would like to mention… you better think about apple care.
the-set.com (<-- my site: We are currently looking into recent logic board failures of ibooks right after the garanty period is over… :-/ )
On the other side: Powerbooks are not free from flaws, too…

Best regards,
Martin
--

Apple Macbook Pro C2D 2.33 2GB RAM

SGI Octane2 r12k 400 1.5 GB

and some other stuff… that won't count… 

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:45 pm

mainframe.ai wrote:If screen real estate on the road were not an issue for me, I would be really happy with an ibook, too… :-) And would have got one…

Extra screen is always good to have. :)
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.

makkan77

Unread postby makkan77 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:11 am

semi-fly wrote:This is how I look at this issue - if money is no object, by all means, get the PB. However, for the price of an entry level 15' inch Powerbook, you can purchase two 12' inch iBooks, or an iBook and two good 19' inch LCD panels, or an Ibook, two 17' inch LCD panels, a color iPod, and still have money left over for an Octane 2/O2. :) Considering how expensive notebooks are in general, It's always good to look for the best value for performance and portability.

I'd like to think money is not an object, but it is. And as you say I'd rather spend that money on LCD screens to get atleast one of these 20" desk busting CRTs off my desk. And even further I've signed up to buy an O2 pretty soon, well when the time is right so I might aswell save my money. I don't I will miss the extra performance of the powerbook. I've been coping with a 233 Mhz old toshiba laptop running linux for surfing in livingroom. And I use my I2 as a main workstation more than I use my 2.0 Ghz PC (except for when I have to work with InDesign). So I don't think I will be disappointed.

mainframe.ai wrote:The only thing I would like to mention… you better think about apple care.

So tell me about this, because it is quite expensive here. Around 30 percent of the price of the iBook. Originally I wasn't going to buy it but I don't want to be sitting there with a broken laptop after a year. BTW in Sweden the original guarantee is 1 year. And you have customer rights to return something faulty in 2 years but after the first year the burden of proof falls on the customer.

----------------

somecodemonkey

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:08 pm

Been playing with some nice Apple gear at the Apple store today while my mini was being looked at and i was supprised how good the 12" powerbooks and ibooks displays are so you can't go far wrong with one. Me I like huge great monitor so my mini is running off a 21" crt :D
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

Return to “Apple”