It's official

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:48 pm

apple stock down 46 one-hundredths for the day... not what I would call "skyrocket"

cryz

Unread postby cryz » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:21 pm

INTEL CHIPs..
(someone remember when they had to retired their processors off the market for a manofacturing flailure!??)
Not everithing its about speed... when i think in a system i want a computer in which i can trust... so neither of i386 platforms offer that to me, all of those allways suffer for a HARDWARE or a SOFTWARE failure... i can run my old g3 and never suffer a big freeezeeee... on ibm compatibles i always suffer for something (in any os that you would like to think) running propietary or GNU soft ..even over Servers..... so....
Former: :O2: R10000 | :540: | :O2: 600Mhz | :O2: R5000
Plastic City is back!!! >>> http://www.plasticcity.de

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:52 pm

As someone else has said the p4 mac is a stopgap, basically to get people porting their code from ppc-> x86. Given the time frame i bet they are going to launch with Yonah (dual core Pentium M).
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

donny

Unread postby donny » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:52 pm

Then:

Now:

:cry:
There is no spoon

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:37 pm

So, the mainstream desktop workstation market has but one processor/architecture now eh?

Man I'd love to see some coupla-gigahertz R20k's (or whatever) running through Intels' fab. Consider that Intel is hitting fab limits on it's current production at what - 3 GHz, and have segway'ed into multicore CPU's to boost processor power - while MIPS clock for clock (for applications) feels about twice as efficient as Intel. Lots of fab overhead there boyz...

But it isn't going to happen soon.

Yeah, one of them quad Tezro's would pretty much set you up for the rest of your life I'd think.

somecodemonkey

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:03 am

Well if anyone its to blame its IBM for not delivering the G5 apple wanted, a cooler less power hungry one for laptops.

Once these intel macs start appearing lets not hope that the normal intel pc look takes over as well :evil:

Definatly goin to have to get me a G5 Powermac now, and that tezro sounds good to :p

oh who else remebers this little ditty

"Do not divide intel inside"... muppets
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

roosmcd

Unread postby roosmcd » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:32 am

I still don't get. So Apple is announcing they are completely switching to Intel sometime in the future. Why would they announce that? Who is going to buy PPC machine from Apple knowing that soon they will have switched to an entire different architecture? So by announcing the switchover, they are killing their own sales for the next two years?!?
Nekochan.net -- where Linux is a four letter word.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:16 am

roosmcd wrote:I still don't get. So Apple is announcing they are completely switching to Intel sometime in the future. Why would they announce that? Who is going to buy PPC machine from Apple knowing that soon they will have switched to an entire different architecture? So by announcing the switchover, they are killing their own sales for the next two years?!?

I was seriously considering dumping my PC for a nice dual G5. Glad I didn't do it yet. Needless to say, it's not happening anymore.

Maybe it's different for busineses, they can't afford to wait 2 years.

OS-X86 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

wolflord

Unread postby wolflord » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:38 am

jan-jaap wrote:Maybe it's different for busineses, they can't afford to wait 2 years.

Yep, they'll probably just go someplace else instead of waiting.
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

Cory5412

Unread postby Cory5412 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:39 am

the stock was going up during the presentation then, I didn't actually take a look at it, mind you, This is just what I had heard from somebody on an IRC channel at the time.

As far as who will be buying a new mac desktop? So far, I think I will be buying a powerPC mac before the Mactels come... I am being told by my developer friend not to, that the 3.6 GHz Mactel machines are much faster, but "much faster" and "In June 2006" does *not* help me. ;)

Especially somebody whose newest mac is slightly older, like mine, a 1 GHz tiBook from late 2002/early 2003.
I [heart] the Performer Town Demo

edefault

Re: It's official

Unread postby edefault » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:33 am

donny wrote:A sad day, IMHO. :cry:

True! On the other hand - one has at least to try to think positive:
Eventually this opens the gates |-() for MacOS on _every_ peecee.

Imagine what could have happened with IRIX ported to Intel i386 back in
(when was it exactly that SGI decided to swallow the WinNT frog?)...

Walther

zafunk

Re: It's official

Unread postby zafunk » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:56 am

edefault wrote:Eventually this opens the gates |-() for MacOS on _every_ peecee.

Which would probably put Apple out of business very quickly IMO. Apple is a hardware as well as a software company.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:23 am

cryz wrote:INTEL CHIPs..
(someone remember when they had to retired their processors off the market for a manofacturing flailure!??)
Not everithing its about speed... when i think in a system i want a computer in which i can trust... so neither of i386 platforms offer that to me, all of those allways suffer for a HARDWARE or a SOFTWARE failure... i can run my old g3 and never suffer a big freeezeeee... on ibm compatibles i always suffer for something (in any os that you would like to think) running propietary or GNU soft ..even over Servers..... so....

Oh, yes... because only intel has had bugs in their processors. Geez, even apple has had major hardware recalls, sometimes because the darn machine would actually catch fire.

Sure you never suffered a big freeze on your G3 under OS9 and below, riiiiiiiiiight! Whatever.

Unfortunatedly it is all economy of scale, it is simply not good business for IBM to make G5s anymore. Ergo Apple had to look somewhere else. Sad but true.....

cryz

Unread postby cryz » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:46 pm

R-ten-K wrote:
Oh, yes... because only intel has had bugs in their processors. Geez, even apple has had major hardware recalls, sometimes because the darn machine would actually catch fire.

Dont be so naif dude.... I well known alllll the apple hard failures (special in their portatiles)... I'm talking about the quality of the Proscessor's construciton .. intel doesnt have a good a reputation at all.
Any person who has worked with semiconductors ; (eg:motorola sigma six Q. The former microprocessor provider); should really apreciate this, when their are designing some electronic device... not every microchip is used on a computer !.......

R-ten-K wrote:
Sure you never suffered a big freeze on your G3 under OS9 and below, riiiiiiiiiight! Whatever.

In the way that Linuzzz or Windows didt at that time no NEVER!. Remeber how pcz worked arround 98-99???.
For me were almost impposible to work on one of them runinng photosghop or any graphic application without a mayor freeze.... that's was my reason to get into the mac-world (besides, nice magazine).

R-ten-K wrote:
Unfortunatedly it is all economy of scale, it is simply not good business for IBM to make G5s anymore. Ergo Apple had to look somewhere else. Sad but true.....

I Completly agree with you man. IBM's semicon profits are commig from video gaming consoles industries, and the new develeps with SONY are very good bussines for them....
Maybe someone built a good Workstation from the base of that chips!
Former: :O2: R10000 | :540: | :O2: 600Mhz | :O2: R5000
Plastic City is back!!! >>> http://www.plasticcity.de

cmstar

Unread postby cmstar » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:26 pm

I became physically ill when I heard the news yesterday. This was a huge blow to me.

There are all sorts of techical reasons why I think this is bad. There are also marketing reasons.

And my god, how long till someone makes Mac-on-linux-x86 edition? Then you'll have OS X on commodity hardware which will ruin the Mac Hardware Margins which are spent improving the OS and making new stuff....so the whole thing will go down the toilet.

I personally think this is the WORST mistake Steve has ever made. Funny, I used to think that about the Newton - axing. But that is not even in the same league.

And while this may sound like an elitist asshole... this will also introduce culture shock like you will not believe. The average pc user will be more inclined to buy Mac. And while that is good on the one hand, increasing marketshare and all that. It also means that Apple will have to comply more to the average pc user's demands... and that is just fucked up.

As has been said by others. I will wait, buy the very last PowerPC Mac produced....and NEVER buy Apple hardware again (as long as it contains intel). I'll use it till it's unsupported. Then I'll throw GNUstep on it. Then I'll run it till it dies.

--Cory, disgruntled lifelong Mac user...
Get a Free Mac Mini --> Here, Here, and Here.

Return to “Apple”