It's official

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
User avatar
donny
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:42 am
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Contact:

It's official

Unread postby donny » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:55 am

There is no spoon

User avatar
zafunk
Posts: 1060
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Unread postby zafunk » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:20 am

Think Different indeed.....

User avatar
themacosxflies
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:53 am
Location: great empire in the distant past
Contact:

Unread postby themacosxflies » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:21 am

time to read this book:

Image

I AM SHOCKED, seriously.
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

User avatar
Cory5412
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Unread postby Cory5412 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:24 am

I certainly envy those who are getting that $999 developer kit for tiger on "MacTel".
Really though, the one thing that did separate macs from PCs was a few things in hardware design, and the Mac OS, and the processor. Now there is just one less thing, but I hope that we still get openfirmware and other nice things like that.

Some of the stuff sounds interesting... I just can't wait to actually SEE the keynote....ahwell.

i think it's time for me to buy a last-gen G5, and a tezro, and go to live under a rock.
I [heart] the Performer Town Demo

User avatar
cryz
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:03 am
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Anybody of us are GOING TO SPEND A DIME IN I386 APPLE or SGI

Unread postby cryz » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:44 am

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html
and looking ahead Intel has the strongest processor roadmap by far,” said Steve Jobs


ok. could sombody here borrow an octane 2 to mr jobs PLEASE!!!

i think it's time for me to buy a last-gen G5, and a tezro, and go to live under a rock.


cory i agree with you!. I'm seriuslly thinking on doing that.

I also what to make a question...
Anybody of us (who uses mac or silicon) are GOING TO SPEND A DIME IN A NEWW? I386 APPLE or SGI???
Because i never did, and certanly isn in my future plans.
Former: :O2: R10000 | :540: | :O2: 600Mhz | :O2: R5000
Plastic City is back!!! >>> http://www.plasticcity.de

unixmuseum
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Unread postby unixmuseum » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:53 am

Cory5412 wrote:i think it's time for me to buy a last-gen G5, and a tezro, and go to live under a rock.

Here you go:

Silicon Graphics® Tezro®
Remarketed Tezro Visual Workstation, tower configuration, 4x700MHz MIPS® RISC processors with 4MB L2 cache, VPro™ V12 graphics, 1GB memory, 73GB disk.:$18,495

Time to break the piggy bank :lol:

User avatar
nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8145
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:31 am
Location: Pleasanton, California
Contact:

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:00 pm

Cory5412 wrote:I certainly envy those who are getting that $999 developer kit for tiger on "MacTel".
Really though, the one thing that did separate macs from PCs was a few things in hardware design, and the Mac OS, and the processor. Now there is just one less thing, but I hope that we still get openfirmware and other nice things like that.

Some of the stuff sounds interesting... I just can't wait to actually SEE the keynote....ahwell.

i think it's time for me to buy a last-gen G5, and a tezro, and go to live under a rock.


I think there's strong possibility that this going to kill Apple hardware sales - now that the processor architecture is x86 across the board (Windows/Mac) the VMware folks just need to emulate a couple small bits and you've got Mac OS X running on commodity hardware.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

User avatar
themacosxflies
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:53 am
Location: great empire in the distant past
Contact:

Unread postby themacosxflies » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:23 pm

nekonoko wrote:I think there's strong possibility that this going to kill Apple hardware sales - now that the processor architecture is x86 across the board (Windows/Mac) the VMware folks just need to emulate a couple small bits and you've got Mac OS X running on commodity hardware.


Was confirmed at WWDC that the intel chips are going to be i86 family?, could be another kind of CPU? :?:
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

User avatar
Dubhthach
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:16 am
Location: Bláth Cliath, Éire

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:23 pm

nekonoko wrote:
Cory5412 wrote:I certainly envy those who are getting that $999 developer kit for tiger on "MacTel".
Really though, the one thing that did separate macs from PCs was a few things in hardware design, and the Mac OS, and the processor. Now there is just one less thing, but I hope that we still get openfirmware and other nice things like that.

Some of the stuff sounds interesting... I just can't wait to actually SEE the keynote....ahwell.

i think it's time for me to buy a last-gen G5, and a tezro, and go to live under a rock.


I think there's strong possibility that this going to kill Apple hardware sales - now that the processor architecture is x86 across the board (Windows/Mac) the VMware folks just need to emulate a couple small bits and you've got Mac OS X running on commodity hardware.


Unless they put something like a patent on the firmware which basically threatens to sue ass off anyone who tries to clone it. We are in interesting days that's for sure
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

User avatar
nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8145
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:31 am
Location: Pleasanton, California
Contact:

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:29 pm

Dubhthach wrote:Unless they put something like a patent on the firmware which basically threatens to sue ass off anyone who tries to clone it. We are in interesting days that's for sure


Hasn't stopped the PearPC folks.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

User avatar
themacosxflies
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:53 am
Location: great empire in the distant past
Contact:

Unread postby themacosxflies » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:33 pm

themacosxflies wrote:Was confirmed at WWDC that the intel chips are going to be i86 family?, could be another kind of CPU? :?:


Oh well, looks like the entire WWDC 2005 keynote was running on a 3.6GHz Pentium 4 system running OS X 10.4. :shock:
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

User avatar
rob
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:56 am
Location: London, England
Contact:

Unread postby rob » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:37 pm

If there's some virtually-naitive-speeds binary emulation of some of the more complex PPC apps, then there may be quite a few hardware tricks under the hood.

Then again, it may be time to resurrect the old "Apple will be dead in five years" argument.

nekonoko wrote:Hasn't stopped the PearPC folks.


Apple may have seen it as futile, and it is rather, given hindsight.

unixmuseum
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Unread postby unixmuseum » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:43 pm

The real question now: which one is going to close shop first? Apple or sgi?

User avatar
Tech^salvager
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:48 pm
Location: Leesburg, GA
Contact:

Unread postby Tech^salvager » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:05 pm

I came out right on this. ok zizban I win the bet.

User avatar
Cory5412
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Unread postby Cory5412 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:34 pm

unixmuseum wrote:The real question now: which one is going to close shop first? Apple or sgi?


Since Apple still looked healthy before 10:30am this morning, and since their stock practically skyrocked as soon as sJobs said "intel" (from what I heard), SGI will be going bottom-up first.
I [heart] the Performer Town Demo


Return to “Apple”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 1 guest