awesome: Mac mini

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
sunverilog

Unread postby sunverilog » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:23 am

sincil wrote:I just went with a USB Bluetooth dongle, bought on eBay for 6quid. I use an old iMac keyboard, so it has 2 ports on the keyboard and the dongle works great - no drivers needed or nothing. So unless you are really desperate to have it inside, I'd do that.

That's what I have been doing usign a Belkin BT module + Netgear WLAN to Ethernet adapter, I was going to move it into the living room so having the internal WLAN would be a big bonus.
Oh well, for the price I need to pay, I think I will live with the extra cabling.

sunverilog

Unread postby sunverilog » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:43 am

themacosxflies wrote:That happened to me last year, firstly I had to send a 17" PowerBook to repair under AppleCare and DHL (?) collected it at my home with no expenses… two weeks later I had to send it again and this time I had to pay the shipment. Asked AppleCare about it they just told me they were no longer collecting at no cost… 'great' :roll:

How do they get away with all these, I just don't get it! today is no free delivery, tomorrow they can push the envelope to no free parts or labours.

Does this new policy only affect UK customers or does it apply to all Apple customers world wide?

themacosxflies

Unread postby themacosxflies » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:20 am

sunverilog wrote:How do they get away with all these, I just don't get it! today is no free delivery, tomorrow they can push the envelope to no free parts or labours.

Does this new policy only affect UK customers or does it apply to all Apple customers world wide?

That was in Spain, so maybe is an 'euro-thing'. Don't want to think if one must to pay the typical PowerBook shipment to Holland…
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:02 pm

sunverilog wrote:Oh yes, and one of the CPU in the G5 faild just now.

Same here - trucked the G5 into the Apple Store this afternoon. The problem's intermittent though (maybe thermal) - hopefully they actually fix it instead of calling it good.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:15 pm

This conversation isn't very encouraging. I just ordered a Mini for my mother in the hopes that it would be more reliable than the 7600 she currently has. :(

I was rather pissed with Apple when after a year my iBook battery would only hold a one hour charge. The iBook was under an extended Applecare warranty, but the battery wasn't covered. It's a consumable says Apple. At $150- I was hoping the damn things would last more than a year. The replacement battery doesn't seem to be doing much better :?

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:32 pm

Well my old dualie G4 still works - good thing I hung on to it :)
All Rights Reserved.

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:33 pm

So, to fill in more sadness...

My Mini died
AGAIN!!!

I've had it back from the last repairs for maybe 1-2 months? MAYBE?
(I bought it the week before Tiger shipped, how long again was that? May?)

So this is the second time it's down, with the same problem - no HD showing up. Indeed, no ide controller at all showing up if I boot from firewire. Last time they said it was a faulty harddrive and replaced that. I'm wondering now if it's another bad harddrive, or if say, the IDE controller is messed up and somehow breaking the harddrives or what.

Just pissed, don't mind me :)

And to be fair, despite this, I still love the little thing. I'm thinking of dropping it from server duties (put that back on my SS5 maybe) and using it as a media box in the living room, not sure...

sunverilog

Unread postby sunverilog » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:25 am

m...we all seems to be mesmerized by Apple's design, if those problematic machines we have were PC, how many of us will still keept them?
I know mine will be broken into pieces by now.
Well, at least after a 15 minutes phone call today, Apple finally agrees to send the replacement CPU to me instead of me caryying the G5 into the Apple store.

nekonoko,
My 1st Gen G5 had it's CPU fans, hard drive thermal censor and PSU replaced because it was giving me kernel panic message or frozen screen from time to time, since then, everything went ok until yesterday's CPU failure, I guess if you haven't pay for the "Apple-DON'T-Care", you could end up paying much more for the future repair.

vegac, try asking for a new replacement.
viewtopic.php?p=29439
althought Apple didn't fix the problem and the replacement still suffer from the same problem.
I have 2 mini here and one is running 24/7 and are both still live and kicking since 9th of March, so your problem should be an one off, unlerss I got the pre-production minis just like what I have been told with my Made in Taiwan 15" 1.33GHz AL PB.

somecodemonkey

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:23 pm

Well it seems the harddrives they use are shorting out the logic boards, i had oth replaced in my mini :roll:
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:33 pm

nekonoko wrote:Well my old dualie G4 still works - good thing I hung on to it :)

I've been tempted to upgrade my G4 but it still does everything I need.
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:38 pm

zafunk wrote:I was rather pissed with Apple when after a year my iBook battery would only hold a one hour charge. :?

From what I understand, that's normal for iBook batteries - did you re-calibrate the replacement battery?

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:45 am

semi-fly wrote:From what I understand, that's normal for iBook batteries - did you re-calibrate the replacement battery?

I think so... I remember doing quite a bit of reading on the subject before deciding to get a new one and before installing the replacement. $150- every year or so is a steep price to pay.

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:05 am

zafunk wrote:
semi-fly wrote:From what I understand, that's normal for iBook batteries - did you re-calibrate the replacement battery?

I think so... I remember doing quite a bit of reading on the subject before deciding to get a new one and before installing the replacement. $150- every year or so is a steep price to pay.

I get 2.0/2.5 hours on my 12' inch under heavy use - that's surfing, browsing, iTunes, copying files accross the network, etc. under normal conditions, like typing, doing homework, or just browsing, I'll get 3.5-4.0. I purchased an aftermarket from OWC: http://www.macsales.com.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:51 pm

Well they returned the G5 to me without doing anything to it. Still kernel panics and locks up randomly. So back it went this morning. This time they told me they'll replace the logic board and/or the CPUs.
All Rights Reserved.

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:56 am

nekonoko wrote:Well they returned the G5 to me without doing anything to it. Still kernel panics and locks up randomly. So back it went this morning. This time they told me they'll replace the logic board and/or the CPUs.

That's strange - I was under the impression that Apple has worked out the kinks in the G5's - also kind of makes glad I haven't invested in one yet.

Is your model the dual 2.0 ghz or 2.5 ghz?

Return to “Apple”