awesome: Mac mini

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:16 am

sincil wrote:or swap out the internal drive for a 7200rpm 2.5" drive.

Before doing something like this I would recommend to check the heat emission of the old and the new drive. When building so small computers there are some limitations and I wouldn't want to loose the data on my harddisk when temperatures reach limits during summer.

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

somecodemonkey

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:24 am

I am happy with ther standard 80gig jobby atm. Just got to wait till next pay day to stick a gig of ram in it and take the risk of running WoW on it. Is the faster processor but the 9200 might be the limiting factor. Oh well if it doesn;t work I will just sell it to my bro to run on his athlon 64 since the mac and pc version come on the same disc
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:16 am

somecodemonkey wrote:Is the faster processor but the 9200 might be the limiting factor. Oh well if it doesn;t work I will just sell it to my bro to run on his athlon 64 since the mac and pc version come on the same disc

AFAIK WoW does not have that much requirements for one of the latest graphics card. My neighbour was playing it on my old nvidia ti4200 without a problem (it was looking good). I didn't notice any difference after he upgraded to fx5700

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

somecodemonkey

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:30 pm

ha your just giving me more reasons to play it :p. Going to start one night and be found a few years later after being declared legally dead due to being a missing person so long :shock:
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

gamerKarl

Unread postby gamerKarl » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:21 pm

Brombear wrote:
somecodemonkey wrote:Is the faster processor but the 9200 might be the limiting factor. Oh well if it doesn;t work I will just sell it to my bro to run on his athlon 64 since the mac and pc version come on the same disc

AFAIK WoW does not have that much requirements for one of the latest graphics card. My neighbour was playing it on my old nvidia ti4200 without a problem (it was looking good). I didn't notice any difference after he upgraded to fx5700

Matthias

I'll second that. My friend's brother played it successfully on a system with a Geforce 2. It wasn't pretty, but it got the job done.
Wake up, Mr. Freeman
Wake up, and smell
the ashes

somecodemonkey

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:05 pm

Well after 3 months running like a beaut my mini is dead... and with the apple store in London for a new mobo :shock:

Seems a couple of other people are having issues with the ata bus failing leaving no bootable volumes and basically a £400 paperweight.

So macless for 2 weeks while they fix it and a something for anyone thinking of buying one.

Oh and been playing WoW to much and started attempts to kill Onyxia with my lvl 60 Tauren Warrior... addicted is not the word :roll:

themacosxflies

Unread postby themacosxflies » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:23 am

somecodemonkey wrote:So macless for 2 weeks while they fix it and a something for anyone thinking of buying one.

Sorry to hear about that… BTW Apple has an online offer to test drive a Mac mini.

Link, hope this doesn't time out
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

somecodemonkey

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:02 pm

ah well shit happens, at least it was while it was still under warrenty. Cost about £300 otherwise which is about the same I paid for it!

themacosxflies

Unread postby themacosxflies » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:15 am

Oh well… the 30 day free Mac mini offer is no more available, it lasted one day. :shock:
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

somecodemonkey

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:19 am

Doesn't matter as I just got a call that my mini is ready to pick up.

Seems the HDD was causing the "logicboard" to short out killing both of them so needed both to be replaced... ho hum busy weekend for me :roll:

sunverilog

Unread postby sunverilog » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:43 am

Just went to Cancom asking how much it's going to cost to add wireless LAN and Bluetooth option into my Mac mini,
69 pounds diagnostic fee + 49 pounds per hour for labour + what ever Apple wants for parts, and they will not sell the parts on their own!!!

Really kicking myself right now for not adding the wireless options when I ordered it, I already bought it before Apple annouce the 10.4 and paid the penalty of buying the family pack upgrade for both Tiger and iLife, few weeks after I bought the monitors, Apple announced the price drop.
Oh yes, and one of the CPU in the G5 faild just now.

Sigh... this pretty much sums up my luck with Apple.

somecodemonkey

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:13 am

Cancom are a bunch of rip off artists anyway. I expect apple themselves would do the upgrade cheaper!

Well see if ihave the energy to struggle into London to pick it up later and reinstall all my apps and music and errr everything :/ at least Warcraft was on my external disk so i haven;t lost all my mods :D

sunverilog

Unread postby sunverilog » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:36 am

I always make a disk to disk copy using Disk Utility before I send the machines off for repairs.

I just contacted Apple for the G5 repair and have been told it is going to take more than 2 weeks until I can get it back, I also have to take it into an Apple repair center myself, GOD DAMN IT!!! what is the point for spending £170 extra on AppleCare if I have to carry it into central London myself!!! and when the hell did they change the policy not collecting from customers anymore?

themacosxflies

Unread postby themacosxflies » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:37 am

sunverilog wrote:I also have to take it into an Apple repair center myself, GOD DAMN IT!!! what is the point for spending £170 extra on AppleCare if I have to carry it into central London myself!!! and when the hell did they change the policy not collecting from customers anymore?

That happened to me last year, firstly I had to send a 17" PowerBook to repair under AppleCare and DHL (?) collected it at my home with no expenses… two weeks later I had to send it again and this time I had to pay the shipment. Asked AppleCare about it they just told me they were no longer collecting at no cost… 'great' :roll:

sincil

Unread postby sincil » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:48 am

sunverilog wrote:Just went to Cancom asking how much it's going to cost to add wireless LAN and Bluetooth option into my Mac mini,
69 pounds diagnostic fee + 49 pounds per hour for labour + what ever Apple wants for parts, and they will not sell the parts on their own!!!

I just went with a USB Bluetooth dongle, bought on eBay for 6quid. I use an old iMac keyboard, so it has 2 ports on the keyboard and the dongle works great - no drivers needed or nothing. So unless you are really desperate to have it inside, I'd do that.

Return to “Apple”