Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: MacIIci overhaul...
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:23 pm 

OK,

Since my 15-year old MacIIci still boots, I decided that I might as well upgrade it a little bit to turn it into a somewhat useable machine.

First things first: RAM. This thing is anemic by today's standard. I think it accepts up to 128MB RAM, who knows were I could buy that?

It'll also need a NIC and eventually some kind of processor upgrade... Any suggestions?

Also, I thought I heard that the old versions of Apple's OSes were downloadable, is this true? I really want to get A|UX running on it...

Post subject: Re: MacIIci overhaul...
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:47 pm 

unixmuseum wrote:
OK,

Since my 15-year old MacIIci still boots, I decided that I might as well upgrade it a little bit to turn it into a somewhat useable machine.

First things first: RAM. This thing is anemic by today's standard. I think it accepts up to 128MB RAM, who knows were I could buy that?

It'll also need a NIC and eventually some kind of processor upgrade... Any suggestions?

Also, I thought I heard that the old versions of Apple's OSes were downloadable, is this true? I really want to get A|UX running on it...

Those are cool old boxes, I have two of them. Some versions of MacOS are downloadable, but Apple goes around and stomps out sites as they spring up. I think 7.5 was the last freely distributed version. Other than that or as far as A/UX is concerned, Hotline or PMing someone is your best bet. Hint, Hint.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:23 pm 

Well, as for memory, this might help.

As for processor upgrades, there are some nice ones. I have a 25 MHz 68040 in my IIci which is running System 7.1 (as I recall). But if you are looking for a system to run A/UX on, then you either want to stay with the hardware as default (no processor upgrade) or find a Quadra. I don't think any processor upgrade worked with A/UX (specially as they usually required additional software just to run at all).

On the Mac software side, just keep in mind that A/UX 3.x.x used a version of System 7.0.1. I've been able to run quite a few applications I have still (including Macromind Director 2.0, Aldus Freehand 3.0 and PageMaker 4.0).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:04 pm 

RacerX wrote:
But if you are looking for a system to run A/UX on, then you either want to stay with the hardware as default (no processor upgrade) or find a Quadra.

A Quadra 700 logic board fits with minimal modification in the IIci case--the only issues I had were the rear port-holes for the audio plugs (? it's been a while).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the IIci (and IIcx) use main RAM for the on-board video?

(By which I mean, if you add a decent NuBus video card, the machine should become downright zippy.)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:08 pm 

scottE wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the IIci (and IIcx) use main RAM for the on-board video?

Yes... I upgraded to a radius card years ago, but after installing 7.x (can't remember which exact version), the thing didn't work anymore... I guess I might need a driver... It's been 5-6 years easily that I haven't touched this machine...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:05 am 

Yeah check ebay for cards I wish u would have done this 3 month ago. I would have given u 3 of the best supermac nubus cards. cost 3000 new. I sold em for 20 a piece after parting out my fully loaded 950 and my genisis MP

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:39 am 

scottE wrote:

(By which I mean, if you add a decent NuBus video card, the machine should become downright zippy.)

Yes on the IIci, no on the IIcx as it doesn't have a build in video option (that was what was so special about the IIci and IIsi, you didn't have to buy a video card to use them).

I use a SuperMac card and 19" (1024x768) color monitor on my IIci, I have an Apple 256k video card in my IIcx on a 14" (640x480) color monitor.

As it turns out, the SupperMac card doesn't work with A/UX, so I am using the on board video in my Quadra 700 with a 15" (1024x768) color PC monitor. I really wanted to have the SuperMac 19" on that system.

On my Quadra 950 (with a PowerPC 601/66 in it) I have three 21" Radius monitors on it, two running off Radius supplied cards and one off the onboard video (I up the VRAM to 2 MB). That system is running Mac OS 8.1 and is mainly used for burning CDs (I have a CD burner and Toast on that system), playing some older games and page layout in PageMaker (I still enjoy using the 5.0a version... specially on the three 21" monitors).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:04 pm 

Apple USED to have the OS 7x updates available for download, but anymore, everything is Mac OS frikkin X. I may have a copy of 7.1 lying around that I could part with.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:29 pm 

gamerKarl wrote:
Apple USED to have the OS 7x updates available for download, but anymore, everything is Mac OS frikkin X.

Here is North American System 7.0.x and here is North American System 7.5.3.

Apple has System 6, all the Mac OS 8.x and 9.x updates (though not the full versions) and even the Rhapsody 5.4 and 5.5 (Mac OS X Server 1.0.1 and 1.0.2) updates on their site still.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:34 pm 

Good work, RacerX! How'd ye find those? I looked all over Apple's website, but they seemed to have moved all the older files...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:50 pm 

Starting back around 2000 they started dividing the support section of the site into current and older software sections. It makes looking things up (tech articles) harder for people with older systems, the older downloads section is just one long list and can be found here. It is linked from the regular downloads page part way down the right column.

Some of the other stuff (Rhapsody, NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP) requires a lot more digging to find.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:43 pm 

RacerX wrote:
As it turns out, the SupperMac card doesn't work with A/UX, .

You guys are sick ! how about AIX on a PS/2 ? And there's an MCA SGI graphics card for those that you see very occasionally on eBay ......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:44 pm 

RacerX wrote:
As it turns out, the SupperMac card doesn't work with A/UX, .

You guys are sick ! how about AIX on a PS/2 ? And there's a Microchannel SGI graphics card for those that you see very occasionally on eBay ......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:56 pm 

I really like how Apple refers to the "old" software:
Apple wrote:
All software listed here is considered obsolete and may do harm if improperly installed. Please use extreme caution.

Translation: Buy a G5, so you can use OS 10.2.5, and not have to deal with our crappy legacy download section
Still, admirable that they still have ANYTHING as old as OS 6. Quite a selection, if only they'd orginize it better

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:01 pm 

I think Apple has that section more with people like me in mind than the average user. As someone who makes their living from servicing Apple Computers, it helps to have access to even the oldest software.

While I have always loved Apple's hardware and software, the quality of their stuff is hard on business. I am the lone service provider for over 80 Macs and I've been doing web design to supplement my income. Further I am going back to school to finish my education in Mathematics and I don't see it interfering with my work.

Apple has always hurt their own business with the quality of their products. In the PC world I've seen turn around rates as low as 18 months on systems while an average Mac ends up lasting three to five years for the same amount of money. This translates into low market share as only people buying a new system are ever counted. I haven't been counted in Apple market share for four years. As all my systems are running perfectly (my PowerBook just rolled past 87 days of uptime) I have no incentive right now to buy another system any time soon.

As such, I don't blame Apple for trying to make it a little harder to keep up older systems. And I understand why the newer systems are not serviceable anymore. I have a Wallstreet PowerBook (September 1998), which I have upgraded with a G4/500, 512 MB of RAM, a second hard drive and a CDRW drive. It is running perfectly and done everything I could need. Looking at the PowerBooks and iBooks Apple has put out lately, it is not worth the effort to replace even the hard drive in any of them the way they are built. Apple wants you to trade in older systems to make modest gains... which is fair enough as Apple computers hold their value.

I highly doubt that Apple is thinking any one is going from a system running System 6 to a PowerMac G5, but I did move one family from a system running 7.5.3 to an eMac running Mac OS X and still get calls thanking me for the system (as if I had made it myself).

That is remarkable. That is what I get from working with Apple. It isn't making me much money, but I'm a lot richer in heart thanks to that.

On that note, I'm sure we can keep the Apple-bashing to a minimum here, right? 8)