PearPC

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Shtoink

PearPC

Unread postby Shtoink » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:21 pm

Say What?!?!

This is quite a bit of change from the normal hum drum info of things you can run under windows...

It seems that there is a nice project going that has successfully managed to make OSX run under windows. You can read more about it here and on the projects mainpage

Not bad for free stuff...

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:51 am

I had tried this out on my PC a while back...
It was a 1.3ghz Duron...and it ran VERY slow

But it did run atleast...

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:31 pm

I wasn't sure if anyone else had seen it before and didn't find any mention of it here.

Slow is right!

The basic version is reported to run 400 times slower and the other version is supposed to run only 40 times slower. But the fact thaqt they are emulating and entirely different architecture that's much more difficult to emulate under x86 is definately a feat.

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:31 pm

Shtoink wrote: and the other version is supposed to run only 40 times slower.

...latest version, with the Altivec patch runs at 15 times slower... and maybe could decrease it on the future :roll:

Anyway, I've not tried by myself. I have a friend who loves these gadgets :D

gamerKarl

Unread postby gamerKarl » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:51 pm

I notice they try to compare Ativec to MMX! That seems kinda outlandish to me....... MMX is a bunch of code that's *supposed* to make multimedia faster, but doesn't mean crap if you have a 3d accelerator. Altivec is a whole new chip that bumps the data bus on the G4 up to something like 128bit, at least that's what I remember from the data sheets I read when it first was released.
Wake up, Mr. Freeman
Wake up, and smell
the ashes

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:03 am

MMX is...in theory, like AltiVec.
Or maybe it could be said that AltiVec is what MMX TRIED to be.

MMX just had tons of design flaws (like sharing registers with floating point, so you couldn't interleave MMX code and regular floating point code) where as AltiVec merely adds 32 (I think) vector registers (128 bit...4x32bit floats) and vector multiplication, adds, etc.

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:09 pm

That and MMX has been effectively replaced by "Screaming Sindy" 1,2 and 3 (Prescott New Instuctions)

i hear SSE2 (P4) is quite similar to Altivec then again it was released after altivec so that's to be expected tbh, imitation been the sincerest form of flattery after all
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

gamerKarl

Unread postby gamerKarl » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:22 pm

is Altivec still a seperate chip? I thought I remember seeing some diagrams of the G4 a while ago, and there was a seperate Altivec unit in addition to the core...
Wake up, Mr. Freeman

Wake up, and smell

the ashes

Return to “Apple”