Is possible to use these h/k speakers with my PowerBook?

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
themacosxflies

Is possible to use these h/k speakers with my PowerBook?

Unread postby themacosxflies » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:49 am

Actually I have on my PowerBook the speaker system that my Octane2´ll use once it arrive to my home, so I found these NICE speakers from harman/kardon, but they are aimed to home theater systems :-/ Would be possible to attach them to the speakers input on the PowerBook? They match my Al PowerBook perfectly ! :D
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:25 pm

If they take RCA you'll likely need a stereo RCA->mini jack (headphone jack) convertor, but otherwise you'll be ok. Keep in mind your laptop won't be pushing out as many watts as a stereo (or as an Octane probably) so you might not get as much quality / volume as you have now...

themacosxflies

Unread postby themacosxflies » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:25 pm

vegac wrote:If they take RCA you'll likely need a stereo RCA->mini jack (headphone jack) convertor, but otherwise you'll be ok. Keep in mind your laptop won't be pushing out as many watts as a stereo (or as an Octane probably) so you might not get as much quality / volume as you have now...

Thanks vegac, they´ll be better so far that the built in audio of my 17" PowerBook, it is not bad but the volume is so low, my Pismo beats that easily.
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

themacosxflies

Unread postby themacosxflies » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:51 pm

Oh, silly me, I did not give you a link to the speakers, here it goes:

harman/kardon HKS 3

harman/kardon reference here

shrek

Unread postby shrek » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:32 am

themacosxflies wrote:Thanks vegac, they´ll be better so far that the built in audio of my 17" PowerBook, it is not bad but the volume is so low, my Pismo beats that easily.

17" PowerBook output to low... try to listen to an iBook 12" with an Origin 200 running next to it :) No I'm happy with the increase in output of my PowerBook :D

Cory5412

Unread postby Cory5412 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:37 am

Maybe you should be looking for a small USB amplifier, I want to say that m-Audio makes one, but I'm going to do a bit of sleuthing to see what it is that I'm thinking of. It's a device that also lets you use Apple's Pro-Speakers...

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerwave/
This thang... It looks like you can take audio in and out, digital and analog with it.

It's also worth noting, if you haven't already bought your HK speakers, that
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_brows ... II&status=
SoundSticks II are still in production! Though, rather than being USB powered, these'll plug right into the audio-out port on your 'Book.

themacosxflies

Unread postby themacosxflies » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:07 am

Thanks for your input Cory, I have the USB SoundSticks attached to my B&W G3 PowerMac, maybe another cool option would be the Philips Dolby headphones.

Return to “Apple”