new g4

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
s0ke
Donor
Donor

new g4

Unread postby s0ke » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:19 am

I just bought a new dp 1.25ghz g4. I was wondering with the X11 beta. So this allows the use of unix apps to run under osx(well apps like xmms, and gkrellm) does this change the actual look of the osx desktop. What I mean is if I install X11R6 will it change the actual window manager or will it stay the same, but I will have the option of running enlilghtenment wm if I wanted to?
hope I'm making sense.

Slide

Unread postby Slide » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:02 am

It won't affect any of the nativ Aqua apps. However, you'll need to run a windowmanager (say, enlightenment) if you plan on running X11 apps. There's one out there that mimics the Aqua look-and-feel, I forget which one it is though. Ouroboros maybe?

I don't own an OS-X capable box, so I'm probably not the most qualified to speak on the subject, but I do understand the split between the native interface and the X server.. :) FWIW, YMMV, Ask the Experts, etc. etc. ;)

Cheers!

s0ke
Donor
Donor

Unread postby s0ke » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:06 am

Thanks for the answer. I guess I just don't want to lose the look of aqua since if I want to run enlightenment I can just turn on my linux box. But it would be nice to have xmms in osx. But I understand what your saying so I can probably just edit my .xinitrc and boot with any window manager I like provided it runs under X11R6.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:27 pm

By default, Apple's X11 includes (and uses) an Aqua-like window manager that allows Aqua and X11 apps to coexist onscreen. It's pretty nice, and if you add an Aqua-GTK theme to the mix you can almost believe they are native OSX applications :)

In this shot, Apple's X11 is running FilmGIMP and XMMS alongside Aqua applications such as the Finder, Audion and Preview. I've layered the windows a bit to show how they coexist on screen seamlessly. The only thing that really gives the X11 apps away is the lack of antialiased text.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Return to “Apple”