What's the best way to handle external disks?

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
RageX
Donor
Donor

What's the best way to handle external disks?

Unread postby RageX » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:27 am

I've got a Macbook Pro with a 200GB hard disk and 2 1TB WD MyBook Studio dealies. One is for time machine, the other is for music/movies/pictures/downloads/etc.

My question is, what is the most graceful way to hook up my various home folders (music/movies/documents/etc.) to their corresponding folders on the external disk?

I could just sym link them but then what happens when I take the laptop on the road?

The best solution would allow me to use the disks as my home folder at home, but then revert to the folders on the laptop hard disk when I'm on the road, and then (here's the tricky part) sync any files I create on the local disk back to the external disk next time I connect back up.

Any such solutions? I've googled but I'm not sure of the correct search terms.

barutanseijin

Re: What's the best way to handle external disks?

Unread postby barutanseijin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:41 am

I would use rsync. I think it would be simpler just to use the laptop disk as the main disk and rsync/backup as necessary.

RageX
Donor
Donor

Unread postby RageX » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:31 pm

barutanseijin wrote:I would use rsync. I think it would be simpler just to use the laptop disk as the main disk and rsync/backup as necessary.

I'll look into setting up rsync.

I can't use the laptop disk, it's only 200GB, not even enough to hold my music collection ;)

Plus I have 2 external disks, one is for time machine so I've got backups covered.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:44 pm

RageX wrote:I can't use the laptop disk, it's only 200GB, not even enough to hold my music collection ;)

For iTunes/iPhoto - holding down the Option key upon launch allows you to choose an alternate library. For instance, you could have a subset of your music collection on the internal drive and an extended library on the external and then simply toggle between them at launch. Not sure if that's what you're looking for exactly, but it's pretty handy.

Another possibility would be to create multiple user accounts - one for home (external drive) and one for the road (internal drive) - and log in to whichever the situation calls for. You could sync them up with rsync or Unison.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

badapple

Unread postby badapple » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:29 am

And don't mix Time Machine and encrypted home volumes - you won't be happy.
hardware/software agnostic sadmin

WDZaphod

Unread postby WDZaphod » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 am

You could also image the MBP-Disk via Carbon Copy Cloner to your external HDD (hopefully Firewire?) and boot from this on. My Macbook acts like beeing on steroids running from an externel 3.5" FW-Disk :D

Return to “Apple”