MB or MBP?

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
barutanseijin

Re: MB or MBP?

Unread postby barutanseijin » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Maybe i would have gotten a MB Air if work had wireless. It doesn't, so the lack of ethernet was a deal killer for me. I didn't think the rest of the machine was compelling enough to overcome that crucial lack. Yes, lighter is good. The kb lighting is good, too, and i'm all for better screens. On the other hand, the battery life isn't that great, and the hd options are limited to small and smaller and very expensive. These days, i'm often in a situation where my machine is the only one, or the only one that is functional. If i have to carry around a USB hub and an external optical drive anyway, what's the point?

On the third hand, if the MB sucks, i may end up with a 2nd gen MB air.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:10 am

barutanseijin wrote:Maybe i would have gotten a MB Air if work had wireless. It doesn't, so the lack of ethernet was a deal killer for me.

Not to beleaguer the point, but:

PICT1042.JPG
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

barutanseijin

Unread postby barutanseijin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:06 am

Finally got my hands on the MB. Here are my thoughts:

1. I like the keyboard. My typing is more accurate on this than it is on my old pb12", and i like it better than the pro keyboards.

2. I can live with the display, which is very bright. I find that half strength is plenty bright. My pb12" display was kind of dim & uneven. And yes, it is better at home than in the stores.

3. Wireless reception is very good.

4. The built-in camera is not half-bad, either.

5. For some reason, i like the ibook white better than the white on this one. The white on the exterior is OK, but the inside of the laptop -- the part of the laptop i am staring at -- is a very light grey. The blackbook & the thinkpads do look better. Oh well. I think i can deal with this horrible tragedy.

6. Now i know why my brother gave me his old laptop bag. It's nice to have the extra room for the keyboard, but you pay for it in width. I always thought the Thinkpad with the foldout keyboards was great idea.

mmendez

Unread postby mmendez » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:00 pm

I've been given a MBP by my employer and absolutely love it. It if had an ATI card instead of a proprietary Nvidia GPU it would be the perfect laptop. Absolutely fantastic.
SGI: :Indigo2IMP: :Fuel: :O2: :Octane2:
Sun: Ultra2, Ultra60, Sun Fire 4800
Apple: G3, Powermac G4 MDD, PowerMac G5, Mac Mini, iBook G4 12", MBP
Dec 3000
IBM RS/6000
AMD64 FreeBSD box

SupremeCmdr

Unread postby SupremeCmdr » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:34 pm

I'm going through a similar discussion with myself about MB or MBP?

On one hand I can just replace my PowerBook with a high spec'd MacBookPro

But if I go a MacBook, I can blow the rest on a 23' Cinema Display.

Nice decisions to have to make. :lol:

I'm leaning towards the MBP for the screen and CPU grunt.
Apple Unibody MBP 2.66Ghz, 8Gb OSX 10.6
Apple MacMini 1.83Ghz, 1Gb OSX 10.5
Apple Power Mac Cube 450Mhz, 256Mb, OSX 10.3 Sweet!
Sun Ultra10 440Mhz 1Gb, SunOS 5.10

http://gothmog.homeunix.net/blog

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:46 pm

i have the new-generation non-pro macbook hanging of a 24-inch screen. fantastic! even runs things like maya and silo (so far) trouble-free despite the onboard graphics and with very useable performance.
i am especially impressed with the seamless and so far amazingly well working multi-screen functionality. plug and play, really. sometimes i drag it over to the living room and hook it up on the LCD TV with a different rez to serve as a media player and no problem either.

speacy

Unread postby speacy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:41 am

barutanseijin wrote:The laptop would be used mostly for writing LaTeX/TeX files with emacs, email, & general farting around via wireless. I do some sound editing, but i use my Octanes for that. I commute by foot or by train, so i prefer smaller laptops.

If Emacs/LaTeX is your main application then you need a Linux box (why use ports when you can use the native software ?).

Latest Debian (release 4) is quite auto installing and has a great package management. Get any laptop able to run Debian (even a 2 years old laptop is enough) and go for a cheap and reliable solution.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:16 am

speacy wrote:If Emacs/LaTeX is your main application then you need a Linux box (why use ports when you can use the native software ?).

You are aware that Mac OS X is certified UNIX 03, right?
All Rights Reserved.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:12 pm

nekonoko wrote:
speacy wrote:If Emacs/LaTeX is your main application then you need a Linux box (why use ports when you can use the native software ?).

You are aware that Mac OS X is certified UNIX 03, right?

... and that there are plenty of LaTeX tools for OSX, heck there are even multiple emacs implementations for OSX.

I have seen it all now, LaTeX == Linux LOL.

PS. There are LaTeX and Emacs versions for windows too, if one is forced to go that route. Little if nothing about LaTeX or Emacs is unix specific (for the most part)
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:35 pm

Doesn't LaTeX predate Linux by a fair number of years?
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:46 pm

SAQ wrote:Doesn't LaTeX predate Linux by a fair number of years?

Hell, NeXTSTEP predates Linux.
All Rights Reserved.

barutanseijin

Unread postby barutanseijin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:32 pm

I've stuck with OSX for my LaTeX work (which is my main work) primarily because i like the way OSX does fonts. Linux/xorg is a lot better than it used to be when it comes to fonts, but installing new fonts and making TeX & friends aware of them still isn't as easy as it is under OSX. I also think that OSX makes the fonts look nicer on the screen. And yes, i've tried all the tweaks and knob-twiddling. Text still looks better on OSX.

Besides, if i change my mind, my Macbook does linux, too. After all, some things are a pain in OSX.

Return to “Apple”