MB or MBP?

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
barutanseijin

MB or MBP?

Unread postby barutanseijin » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:13 am

I've got a lump of cash sitting in the bank, and i'm itching to get a new laptop. I'm pretty sure i'll stick with Apple, though i could be convinced to stray. (I used to use Thinkpads until my X30 went kaput.) I'm still using my PB12", which is my reference point. A few people i know have the MBs, and they seem OK, despite the glossy screen.

The laptop would be used mostly for writing LaTeX/TeX files with emacs, email, & general farting around via wireless. I do some sound editing, but i use my Octanes for that. I commute by foot or by train, so i prefer smaller laptops.

How is the wireless reception in the MBP?

Has anyone used the MB with 1600SW? I'm not a big fan of the glossy screens.

SAQ

Re: MB or MBP?

Unread postby SAQ » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:01 pm

barutanseijin wrote: I'm not a big fan of the glossy screens.

I HATE THEM! What idiot decided that the screen should reflect everything? Monitor makers used to boast about their non-glare coating. :evil:
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:33 pm

I'm willing to bet they're cheaper to manufacture than matte screens. So Apple gets to cut costs, and spins the glossy screens as being brighter / sharper.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:40 pm

barutanseijin wrote:I'm not a big fan of the glossy screens.

Maybe I'm the only one that is indifferent to them. I had a black MB for a couple days (no legacy usb support was a deal breaker for me, wonder if they've fixed that). Since mostly I was working with Boot Camp and installing Windows I was sitting at the couch with it and didn't notice the glossy screen at all. In the Apple Stores (with all their bright shiny lights) I barely notice the reflections of anything, I suspect because the screens are so bright these days.

Back to the main question. If you're coming from a 12" PowerBook you're going to find the 15" MBP kinda big. I had a 12" PowerBook and replaced it with a 15" MBP (Core Duo). The MB (Core 2 Duo) I mentioned was a year later and was going to be just for testing and such. I probably would sell the MBP and get a MB if they had back lit keys. I will say the light from the screen reflects off the white printing on the black keys pretty good though, had to check that there was no back light on the keys a couple times.

Sounds like your needs aren't going to press the limits of a MB, and the small size might work better for you. The white ones probably scratch like the old iBooks and I suspect the rubbery paint will mar too, but I think the plastic cases feel a little more rigid than the aluminum because of the flex in the larger machines.

If you have an Apple Store handy you might be able to return a MB and get a MBP if you can come up with a good enough story (I returned mine w/o restocking fee and built a C2D desktop for running Windows since I needed legacy keyboard support since MS hasn't bothered to update their boot loader significantly in 15 years)
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

barutanseijin

Unread postby barutanseijin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:51 pm

japes wrote:
barutanseijin wrote:I'm not a big fan of the glossy screens.

Sounds like your needs aren't going to press the limits of a MB, and the small size might work better for you. The white ones probably scratch like the old iBooks and I suspect the rubbery paint will mar too, but I think the plastic cases feel a little more rigid than the aluminum because of the flex in the larger machines.

If you have an Apple Store handy you might be able to return a MB and get a MBP if you can come up with a good enough story (I returned mine w/o restocking fee and built a C2D desktop for running Windows since I needed legacy keyboard support since MS hasn't bothered to update their boot loader significantly in 15 years)

I ordered the white 2.4ghz Macbook with the 250mb hard drive. I just couldn't make myself pay the black tax, nor could i justify the extra expense for the Pro. The white doesn't bother me. I have an old 600mhz ibook that is significantly less ratty than my pb12", with all its dents and warps.

I'm still worried about how my eyes will take to the screen. What sort of story did you use with the Apple store?

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:51 pm

SAQ wrote:
barutanseijin wrote: I'm not a big fan of the glossy screens.

I HATE THEM! What idiot decided that the screen should reflect everything? Monitor makers used to boast about their non-glare coating. :evil:

I really hated them, too, when I saw them in stores, but I found that the glossy screen didn't bother me at all when I had to use a MB for a couple of weeks for some client work. Much to my shock, since I really thought that I'd always hate the glossy screen, I now find myself to be neutral on the subject. YMMV.

D-EJ915

Unread postby D-EJ915 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:28 pm

I like matte ones better after having used them both for over a year now, but flourescent lights are horrible to colours on glossy ones, they totally wash out. So if you're going to be in a flourescent environment quite a bit avoid a glossy screen.
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

Ga53n

Unread postby Ga53n » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:23 am

I would love a MB with antiglare screen and 3G wireless.

At this moment i am sitting in the subway testin a Lenovo X300 with 3G and it is just great, never thought it would be so good.
Maybe I get to test Linux on the machine before I have to send it back.

My favorite at the moment X300 with Win XP, Mac OS and Debian, just to switch to whatever you need, but the 64 GB SSD is kinda small for three OS installations
---

it's a means to an end

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 am

barutanseijin wrote:I ordered the white 2.4ghz Macbook with the 250mb hard drive. I just couldn't make myself pay the black tax, nor could i justify the extra expense for the Pro. The white doesn't bother me. I have an old 600mhz ibook that is significantly less ratty than my pb12", with all its dents and warps.

I'm still worried about how my eyes will take to the screen. What sort of story did you use with the Apple store?

I kinda like the idea of having a white one that's a little rough around the edges, a few scratches, some marks. I think I'll be picking up a black one for my wife in the next month or two. I'm about to cave on a MacPro first though, which should mean they'll have a "Mac" in about 2 months.

As for story, I just told them it wouldn't do what I needed, kept to my same story. My MacBook Pro wasn't as old then either so I leaned on having a recent Mac (happened to be purchased at the same store). Eventually the manager relented. Not sure if it would work on something ordered online though, but if it really bothers you the restocking charge is nothing compared to letting it depreciate on a shelf if you don't use it.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:39 am

I had a black MacBook, but didn't really care for it much - the screen had a poor viewing angle compared to my previous 15"/12" PowerBooks and the matte black finish would quickly build up nasty looking fingerprints (they really should have gone with a finish more like the ThinkPad, never had a problem with fingerprints on those).

I gave my MacBook to my brother last month and bought a MacBook Air which to me is a vast improvement; lightweight, bright screen with an improved viewing angle, backlit keyboard and the tried and true aluminum finish. No regrets at all.

Of course a lot of that is also available on the MacBook Pro, so if the Air isn't enough for you I'd lean more that direction based on my experiences.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:11 pm

nekonoko wrote:I had a black MacBook, but didn't really care for it much - the screen had a poor viewing angle compared to my previous 15"/12" PowerBooks and the matte black finish would quickly build up nasty looking fingerprints (they really should have gone with a finish more like the ThinkPad, never had a problem with fingerprints on those).

That's unfortunate news. I noticed it had a similar feel, was hoping it might wear/act similar. I think I've already read/seen that it wears off too. I was really hoping to find something that could be an only computer for my wife and not be too big. My 15" MBP just seems too large for reading in bed, crowded coffee shop tables, etc. She wants a desktop computer, I've avoided this for about a year and a half so far.

barutanseijin

Unread postby barutanseijin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:46 pm

nekonoko wrote:I had a black MacBook, but didn't really care for it much - the screen had a poor viewing angle compared to my previous 15"/12" PowerBooks and the matte black finish would quickly build up nasty looking fingerprints (they really should have gone with a finish more like the ThinkPad, never had a problem with fingerprints on those).

I gave my MacBook to my bother last month and bought a MacBook Air which to me is a vast improvement; lightweight, bright screen with an improved viewing angle, backlit keyboard and the tried and true aluminum finish. No regrets at all.

The MB Air seems nice, but i don't like the lack of ports. I can live without the optical drive, but i'd want ethernet and something else besides USB. (preferably SCSI!!). And doesn't the MBAir have a glossy screen, too?

I had a 10th Anniversary Thinkpad X30 with a glossy, piano type finish. It picked up fingerprints, too.

I think if the MB is too horrible it goes to the girlfriend -- who will run Windows on it.

RageX
Donor
Donor

Unread postby RageX » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:19 pm

barutanseijin wrote:LaTeX/TeX files with emacs, email, & general farting around via wireless... I commute by foot or by train, so i prefer smaller laptops.

Air.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:08 pm

The MacBook Air's USB ethernet adapter works pretty well - I used it with Migration Assistant (moved my applications, settings and data over from my MacBook).

As for the lack of ports - it boils down to how many USB devices you really need when you're on the train or plane (myself; a single 3G dongle, at least on the train). Once I get it to my hotel room a small $12 4-port hub fits the bill, and it does have video out (with dongles for both VGA and DVI included in the box) as well as Bluetooth for keyboards/mice/tablets/etc. I have all the bits and bobs in my bag to make it into a capable desktop system if necessary (USB hard drive, Bluetooth graphics tablet/mouse, USB ethernet, video dongles, DVD-R, Airport Express and of course a USB hub), and if I don't need all the fluff I can leave the bag behind (neoprene sleeve for the win) ;)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

pierocks
Donor
Donor

Unread postby pierocks » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:30 pm

I'm glad at least one other person sees the benefit of the MBA. I'm so sick of reading forums where everyone is all "BUT NO USER SERVICABLE BATTERY AND ONLY ONE USB THIS IS USELESS". I just sit and think "Perhaps it's useless to you, but for some people having a small and light laptop that looks really sharp, this is the machine". I know I'll be looking at one as soon as my 6 year old TiBook finally eats it...
:O2: :O2: :O2:
They are multiplying. If you can read this, send help.

Return to “Apple”