Garbage

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
guardian452
Donor
Donor

Garbage

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:29 am

I know IT gets these shitboxes for about $2 each from ATT but how the heck am I supposed to type my passcode, I need some of those letters like U and L etc.

Rebooting doesn't fix it. Several times. If I wait until the battery dies, and charge it again, it will come back to normal.

3rd time it's happened. Started doing it sometime in October. Was brand new in June. So 4 month useful life. I spend hours on the phone every day for work, my whole job revolves around talking to people ON THE MOTHERFUCKING PHONE WHICH I CANT DO.

Just ordered a 2nd Sony the same as my personal phone. At least those motherfuckers work. And they can play podcasts without crashing. And I can use real headphones again, and don't have to carry an extra charging cord when EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD uses USB-C.

Piss on it.

Rant over.
Attachments
WIN_20171128_13_20_41_Pro.jpg

GIJoe

Re: Garbage

Unread postby GIJoe » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:02 pm

i heard the sony's have a problem with their front glass touchscreen where if the phone is subjected to temperature differences, the touchscreen can crack due to expansion/compression. then the phone supposedly becomes useless. i'm very careful with mine.

would love to try apple if they weren't so expensive - i just can't stand android! it gets incredibly sluggish after only a few days of uptime on this phone with very few apps installed. hate to dig through it's labyrinth of semi-hidden preferences too. OS support from sony isn't exactly great either.

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:49 pm

coincidence?

(btw, didn't realize this forum does Twitter embedding. Is that desired?)
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:11 pm

robespierre wrote:(btw, didn't realize this forum does Twitter embedding. Is that desired?)

phpBB uses iframes for embedding tweets. We don't have a specific policy on it, but I suggest that rather than embedding a tweet, attaching a screenshot of the tweet usually would be better, since it avoids link rot. The other issue with embedding tweets is that the embedded tweet only shows up as the word "iframe" for those who use RSS feeds to read twitter. Sure, that probably is a tiny number of people, but it affects me, so it's awful!! :lol:

Apple seems to be establishing an awful pattern on the Mac with High Sierra. When High Sierra was released, it had a bug that revealed a user's password, rather than a user's password hint, when clicking the "Show Hint" button in the account management dialog. It's hard to avoid thinking that Apple has gotten particularly sloppy with the big things recently. I guess they have their best people focused on developing the coolest animated poop emojis instead.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:21 pm

GIJoe wrote:i heard the sony's have a problem with their front glass touchscreen where if the phone is subjected to temperature differences, the touchscreen can crack due to expansion/compression. then the phone supposedly becomes useless. i'm very careful with mine.

would love to try apple if they weren't so expensive - i just can't stand android! it gets incredibly sluggish after only a few days of uptime on this phone with very few apps installed. hate to dig through it's labyrinth of semi-hidden preferences too. OS support from sony isn't exactly great either.

For me the number one feature of the Sony (I have an X compact, ordering the XZ1 Compact, honestly a bit upset it doesn't come in white tho) is the camera. I haven't had that issue with my sony, and I'm definitely NOT careful with it.

The reason why I love my Sony is because it just works, there's never any bugs, I also love love love the ability to have mightytext on my computer (maybe if apple made imessage for windows, or hadn't dragged OSX to the junkyard and set it on fire....) If you think Android's preferences is bad, you should see the iOS settings app :oops: Tho I spend a lot less time mucking around in android than you have to do with ios, because of insane defaults.

Part of it is Apple's chintzy software (no A/S/M mode, etc) but the iphone camera sensor is nowhere near as good in low light.

The ONE thing I wish my sony had was the iphone's silent switch.

josehill wrote:Apple seems to be establishing an awful pattern on the Mac with High Sierra. When High Sierra was released, it had a bug that revealed a user's password, rather than a user's password hint, when clicking the "Show Hint" button in the account management dialog. It's hard to avoid thinking that Apple has gotten particularly sloppy with the big things recently. I guess they have their best people focused on developing the coolest animated poop emojis instead.
Sounds about right. Those animated poop emojis are making apple eleven billionty dollars a second, why the hell should they waste their time working on The Mac? These ARE the big things. Now being able to unlock your iphone, or having a calculator that works properly in iphone, why are they screwing that up?

Went completely to the green snake brigade. Shocking how much better quality hardware you get for around the same price. Although in three or four years when I can get all this in a thinkpad I'll probably go back to the red nubbin... Windows has gotten so much better in the last few years, too. Although part of this may be because I'm learning more about how to use it, after being a mac propeller-head since the leopard days, and finding better default apps for windows like irfanview et al.

Maybe Federighi should have skipped the pot jokes when introducing High Sierra last WWDC. Now we know where the bugs are coming from. 8-)

robespierre wrote:coincidence?
Sounds like it's functioning as intended (High Sierra, that is, not twittler)

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:51 pm

guardian452 wrote:having a calculator that works properly in iphone, why are they screwing that up?

Seriously! The calculator issue was a horrible regression. I keep a freebie flip phone as a backup phone, and when the calculator you get on a no-name flip phone outperforms the latest iOS calculator, it should be an embarrassment to Apple, but I fear that it is not. (FWIW, I now use the venerable PCalc calculator on iOS. It was an excellent calculator all the way back in MacOS 7 days, and it still is terrific today.)

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:19 pm

what's the deal with the new iOS calculator? I'm behind, the wife-unit upgraded and complains of poor battery life so I keep telling my phone to wait until later. The only iOS calculator problem I know of is the stupid key-click in the calculator doesn't have an option to disable, doesn't take the system setting for key click....what a bunch of sloppy product designers. Also how hard is it to test battery life on a 18 month old phone. Apple needs to untether their internal testers and make them use the thing on a current-1 or current-2 handset for their daily use.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:55 am

Sony Xperia afficionado here. Very decent hardware. But caveat emptor: root it, kick out 85 % of the software it comes with, harden, then use. That has been working fine for me over several iterations of hardware by now. Latest I'm using is the XA dual. Never noticed any issues with the screens (from the time of the Xperia M until now), but maybe this is model-specific?
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:52 am

japes wrote:what's the deal with the new iOS calculator?

The iOS 11 calculator can't keep up with moderate typing speed because it apparently is too busy playing with stupid visual effects, leading to accidental math errors. For example, if you try to type 1+2+3, there is a higher chance that you'll come up with "15" (12+3) or "24" (1+23) or something else besides "6". It's basically unusable for a lot of people.

It's a pretty stupid issue considering that Apple likes to tout the benchmarked speed of its iPhone hardware.

Supposedly, the problem is fixed in the upcoming iOS 11.2, but that means that it has survived several incremental releases as it was present in 11.0, and 11.1.2 is current.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:26 am

I just added 1 to itself 20 times (1+1+1.....) and got the number 101, crazy ha!

Visual effects, what visual effects?
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image... Image AlphaStation 255/300MHz.
Image................Image 486 DX4 100MHz. (My first Computer)
Image.........................Image Image JavaStation-10(Krups); Sun Fire V880z.
A snapshot of what I've got:.......................................................................:arrow:

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:59 pm

Apple's quality control these days is abysmal. That latest "root password" crap just means I'm waiting another release or two before I even think about High Sierra. A buggy filesystem migration and now junior league security fails? Puh-leeze.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:04 pm

I thought I was tripping with the calculator at first. I always use it to keep a running total when at the grocery store and I was one-handed pushing buttons while pushing the shopping trolley with my other hand, hardly fast typing.

Irinikus wrote:Visual effects, what visual effects?
It does seem very apple-like to break a simple calculator app in order to make it look more pretty. I bet the PCalc guys are over the moon with this.

Hakimoto wrote:Sony Xperia afficionado here. Very decent hardware. But caveat emptor: root it, kick out 85 % of the software it comes with, harden, then use. That has been working fine for me over several iterations of hardware by now. Latest I'm using is the XA dual. Never noticed any issues with the screens (from the time of the Xperia M until now), but maybe this is model-specific?
I never rooted my X compact but I did install the UK firmware to get the fingerprint sensor and waterproofing features (i.e. rain/glove mode, of course the hardware is the same worldwide). I hope I can do the same with the XZ1 compact when it shows up.

Of course, with the iphone 7's help, I was able to convince my wife to NOT buy the iphone X after years of HTCs and Samsungs. Between bugs in the calculator, unlocking screen, now playing widget, and of course the phone itself...

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:56 am

Hakimoto wrote:Never noticed any issues with the screens (from the time of the Xperia M until now), but maybe this is model-specific?

not sure what their model generations are called but this was a big issue in the sony forums and all over the (german-) mobile-review sites around the time of the Z Ultra and Z3 with the Z4 still being affected. sony's refusal to repair on warranty just added to the Xperience. :)

the display/touchscreen is supposed to develop hairline fractures and become inoperable. sensitive like: taking the warmed up phone on a hot summer day into an air conditioned car.

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:29 am

I see. Well, nothing like that with either the M dual or the XA dual. And I've been to some temperature extremes with them...
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:09 pm