Apple and Imagination love affair over...

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
spiroyster
Donor
Donor

Apple and Imagination love affair over...

Unread postby spiroyster » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:57 am

It might get nasty...

https://www.imgtec.com/news/press-relea ... agreement/

My monies (not literally, or I would buy shares in imgtec o.0) is on Imagination begin owned by Apple in the next 2/3 years. They have already been poaching staff for the last few years and its widely know they are working on their own GPU.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/ ... onnel-away

Imagination own everybody's favourite architecture around here. MIPS!

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Re: Apple and Imagination love affair over...

Unread postby Geoman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Ah those days with PowerVR on the PC :-)
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Re: Apple and Imagination love affair over...

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Sounds like they are bluffing with regards to patent holdings. They have no idea what apple is cooking up and looks like they have overplayed their cards already. It is not up to Apple to prove to imgtec that they (Apple) are not infringing until brought to court? IANAL but surely it is the patent holder's burden to show evidence of infringement?

Say what you will about Apple, I would not underestimate the amount of resources they have available to throw at a problem. Especially since they have the cash on hand to literally buy both AMD and Nvidia outright (not that they would, but they could).

If I was Imgtec I would have kept my damn mouth shut, at least for the time being.

spiroyster wrote:Imagination begin owned by Apple in the next 2/3 years. They have already been poaching staff for the last few years and its widely know they are working on their own GPU.

This makes no sense. If they are already working on their own GPU what do they need Imagination's help for? If Apple needed to buy them for their patents, they would have already. Sounds like Apple did the right thing and let one of their suppliers know that they will be discontinuing their purchasing years in advance as was probably in their contract. If Imgtec wants to put out a press release ASAP saying they are going to be losing their best customer, then they deserve exactly what happens to them. **aaaannnnddd** I am going out on a limb here, but I'm going to assume that if they throw a tantrum and fling shit at apple, it probably won't make their other remaining customers feel too good, either.

Apple has not presented any evidence to substantiate its assertion that it will no longer require Imagination’s technology, without violating Imagination’s patents, intellectual property and confidential information. This evidence has been requested by Imagination but Apple has declined to provide it.

Well, no shit. They are busy working on their new hotness, why should they tell a potential competitor about it?

Return to “Apple”