The Problem with Apple

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
guardian452
Donor
Donor

Re: The Problem with Apple

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:45 am

I wish Razer didn't have such serious QC and CS issues... I love mine but I'm on replacement #3 blade stealth and I don't trust them any more. At least my battery hasn't swollen up to the point of bursting the case like the larger blade pros do: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... ge.812951/

Shiunbird wrote:The super tiny motherboards that Apple produces nowadays could leave room for a boat load of batteries, in a design that would be sturdy and dongle-free.

No laptop maker is going to go over FAA’s 100wh battery limit, and Apple hit that a long time ago.

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:07 pm

guardian452 wrote:You seriously expect me to cart around a tower at work?

Wuss! :mrgreen:
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:14 am

Irinikus wrote:The "thinness madness" (which results in the application of crappy keyboards) that Apple is going through at the moment is simply due to the fact that the average person on Earth seems to have the same obsession and this is a marketing strategy that they need to follow in-order to survive.

Yep, this. Laptops did used to be too thick for many, I agree. However over the last 10 years, the drive for ever-thinner laptops has meant poorer keyboards and poorer trackpads too. Combine that with the drive for cheaper laptops and most manufacturers have also dropped the ball on screens as well (Apple being one of the few that haven't here).

In short, buy a laptop from 8 years ago and you'll likely get a better screen, a better keyboard and a better trackpad. Just crazy!
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:16 am

Huh, my razer is like 1/2” thick and it has the finest kb and trackpad I’ve used, the screen is fantastic (higher rez at 13” than the 15” mbp I’ve been using lately 3200x1800 vs. 2880x1440). Even on the new mac laptops a lot of their design aspects are the same or worse than the 2012 retina macbooks. The battery outlasts the mac despite being half the capacity (46wh vs 99wh). I only have one charger and I can leave it at the office if I take my laptop home over the weekend.

Old apple keyboards are mushy, new ones break easily. The trackpads are glass which get slimy and greasy and require cleaning all the time. The tracking isn’t as good due to lack of fine-grained speed and acceleration settings.

Just because Apple has stagnated their hardware designs doesn’t mean the whole industry has.

But nobody is buying a mac because of the outdated hardware, we buy them to run macos. In my case, if I ask IT for a computer it’s just the default option (unless you specifically want a PC in which case you get a lenovo x1). I don’t expect IT machines to be glamorous in the slightest so apple is a good fit here, especially with their boring design and perfect reliability.

I can’t imagine any IT man handing out overpriced razers that bluescreen left and right and have batteries and vrms that crap out when you least expect it (soon after the warranty term ends of course). But when they work they are so nice.

Afaict, dells like the precision 5520 strike a good blend between apple’s reliability and “sexy” hardware like razer. IF my current razer dies, the dell would be what I repaced it with. That is a big IF because it’s a newer model than the older stealths and it’s already lasted 8 months whereas the old ones crapped out long before; it’s only crashed once when I unplugged it from the core gpu while it was using it. From what I’ve heard from other kaby stealth owners they are much more reliable vs. the skylakes.

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:46 am

I like the ThinkPads W500 and W510. I prefer the 16:10 screens of the earliest, and hate 15 inch laptops with integrated numpads.
I may end up buying one someday.
ImageImage

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:04 am

I have an old w520, the screen actually has great color and is... eh, bright enough indoors, but no antireflective coating to speak of (the bad old days of just putting a matte cover over the screen so it doesn't work in the sunlight), but the resolution is quite low at only ~150ppi. In 2011 it was absolutely a top-of-the-line machine. For games and movies it's actually an advantage in my opinion but the screen door effect is still quite noticeable even if you're only reading text.

I like how the numpad is integrated into the right of the main keyboard with a nmlck key so you can have it if you need (I never use it) but without ruining the symmetry.

However it's a damn heavy and brittle plastic brick from 7 years ago with a gazillion screws and glue holding it together. Maybe I'm still bitter about having to R&R that x220 mainboard in January. That glued-down plastic wrapper over the majority of the mainboard was real fun to get off. Almost as fun as having to transfer the glued-down foil antennas to a new lid.

Also, dear lord, lenovo, seriously, just taping antenna connectors down inside the chassis so they can flop about and cause mayhem? At least panasonic gives a dummy board to plug them into on their non-cellular models.

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:24 am

*reads posts about laptop screens with nearly 6,000,000 pixels on 1280x800 ThinkPad he bought specifically because larger resolutions on laptops make everything unmanageably tiny*

*boggles*
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:53 pm

Well, there's also the people that find the sound from a $6.99 gas station bluetooth speaker to be perfectly satisfactory, or don't mind the flickering of old fluorescent lights.

I sure don't care about some stuff that would drive other people crazy. Good to have options.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:27 pm

Back on topic, is there a way to access icloud mail from a non-apple mobile browser (specifically, firefox)? FTR, I tried chrome too and it has the same message.

I switched to a different mail provider the same time I legally changed my name and only needed to get in for a "2 factor confirmation" mail on an old account. I didn't want to add my old icloud account synced to my mail client for one message. I worked around it but it's still annoying.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180401-202128.png

Return to “Apple”