Video acceleration on Power Macs / QuickTime / FCP

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
GIJoe

Re: Video acceleration on Power Macs / QuickTime / FCP

Unread postby GIJoe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:17 am

"AMD Graphics"

there's your reason for the fan noise. :) mine is intel iGPU only.
i also have an MBP with both intel and AMD GPU. when i disable the AMD GPU the computer stays perfectly quiet unless i really push it (i lose my video-out though). else when the AMD is active even running a youtube video in a browser or scrolling through cover flow in finder can make the fans rev up.

the encode times might be related to some kind of GPU acceleration not being available when several displays are connected and the GPU then running out of resources? just a guess.

while you are checking out resolve you might as well grab fusion from their site. it's another compositor, not unlike shake. shake has gotten a little long in the tooth i'm afraid. but still a decent choice if all you are after is layering of passes. it's not exactly a package well suited to do effects/filters in (tends to end up very technical).

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:33 am

GIJoe wrote:the encode times might be related to some kind of GPU acceleration not being available when several displays are connected and the GPU then running out of resources? just a guess.

I guess the same thing. The whole computer becomes in general very unusable when I'm exporting from iMovie with two screens. But the experience is not very different from my G5 if I'm exporting from Motion. If I have two screens, I can barely use the computer. The screen refresh rate drops to 5Hz or less.

Maybe that's why all trashcan Mac Pros have 2 GPUs. Probably the GPU is so overtaxed doing OpenGL wizardry that the desktop composer (also using OpenGL) gets no processing time.

GIJoe wrote:while you are checking out resolve you might as well grab fusion from their site. it's another compositor, not unlike shake. shake has gotten a little long in the tooth i'm afraid. but still a decent choice if all you are after is layering of passes. it's not exactly a package well suited to do effects/filters in (tends to end up very technical).

I will surely have a look. But for the moment I tend to stick to things that run on my G5. You are in Nekochan after all, and the deal is to get work (or fun) done with legacy hardware.
ImageImage

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:13 pm

just saying it might not be the best choice to spruce up a video, it's pipeline-oriented for the more specialized/batch tasks. it's certainly no after effects.

Return to “Apple”