What Apple hardware do we have?

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: What Apple hardware do we have?

Unread postby uunix » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:16 am

ivelegacy wrote:
uunix wrote:mwahahahahaha :twisted:

I have scientific reasons to believe that next year, you will find a "OS/9 parcel" just under the xmas tree
emmm I am afraid it won't be persuaded to run on Macintosh, instead it will on 80s systems, 6809-like
according with the japanese magazine "Oh! Fm" it might run on Hitachi 6309 by hack tricks :D :D :D :D

I have the OS/9 tee-shirt.. I use it to polish monitor connected to my Dragon 32..

I also have an apple [proforma?] in the loft ready to defend your attack of the nine!
Last edited by uunix on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:22 am

Hmm. I'm starting to think it may be time to lighten the load.

The first item on the list is my SE/30 with 128 MB RAM, Micron xCeed Color Display Adapter, and ImageWriter II printer. I bought it as soon as it was introduced, and it's the first personal computer I ever owned. Fifteen years or more ago, I gave it to a friend who wanted a computer for his young son to use. When I gave it to him, it had 8 MB of RAM, a 40 GB drive, and no other upgrades. A few years ago, he returned it to me with an RGB display and adapter, and a 120 MB hard drive. :D Thanks to a generous donation from a Nekochan member, I later was able to max out the RAM. I still fire it up now and then, and I doubt I ever will part with it. Considering the time it was released and the work I did with it, I rate this as the best non-SGI computer I've ever owned.

Unless otherwise noted, all of these are alive and well:

1. The aforementioned SE/30
  2. PowerBook Duo 270c - includes interesting stuff like Aldus Pagemaker and Aldus Persuasion
  3. PowerBook Duo 2300
  4. Duo Dock II
  5. PowerBook 1400cs - Upgraded with 40 MB RAM, G3 CPU, external display adapter, Ethernet PCMCIA card, and swappable ZIP/CD-ROM drives. This was my daily driver for quite a few years.
  6. PowerBook3,1 - (G3 Firewire/Pismo) upgraded with ZIP drive.
  7. PowerBook6,8 - G4 12" 1.5 GHz - A total workhorse. After my SE/30, I consider this to be the next best computer I've ever owned.
  8. PowerBook5,7 - G4 17" 1.67 GHz
  9. iBook G4 - 1.42 GHz (PowerBook6,7) - doesn't boot; bad analog board
  10. MacBookPro2,2 - 15" Late 2006, 2.3 GHz Core 2 Duo - Until recently, when the GPU started to fail, this was my daily driver. Currently disassembled. I'm trying to decide whether to part it out or to try to repair it. It ran Snow Leopard like a champ.
Oh, yes, and a Newton MessagePad 130!

For current, daily use:

1. Macmini1,1 - 1.83 GHz Core Duo, upgraded to 500 GB drive and 2 GB RAM. Runs some databases for a local charity I'm involved with.
  2. MacBookPro7,1 - 13" Mid-2010, 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, upgraded to 16 GB RAM and 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. This is my current "personal" machine.
  3. MacBookPro9,2 - 13" Mid-2012, 2.5 GHz Core i5, upgraded to 16 GB RAM and 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. This is my current "business" machine.
  4. iPhone 4S (likely to be upgraded in a month or so, pending Apple's March product announcements)

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:27 am

I almost forgot! It's not an Apple, but I also have a Mac clone - a Power Computing PowerCenter 150. A surprisingly speedy machine!

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:58 am

Achievement unlocked: using apple pay at an apple store.

Watch 42mm sport space grey, white sport band, black link bracelet.
I was going to buy the space black steel, with the link bracelet, but the grey aluminum is actually darker and looks better, IMO. :twisted: It even does a better job of matching the black link bracelet.

My Wenger of over 15 years finally stopped ticking for the last time (it had been loosing time for months).

Neat toy. I didn't want another cheap Wenger but don't think I'm ready for a Rolex or Tag, etc. I couldn't find an e.g. Oakley, Hamilton, etc, that I actually liked, so I made my inner 13 year old happy and got the dick tracy special.

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:32 pm

I still have a whole lot of spare "Ready for PowerPC upgrade" stickers I need to deface the local Apple Store with.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

fu

Unread postby fu » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:37 pm

i have probably used every mac model for one reason or the other and i’ve owned lots of them throughout the years. since jose made a list:

josehill wrote:[*]PowerBook Duo 270c - includes interesting stuff like Aldus Pagemaker and Aldus Persuasion

was this the one that used to come /w a pimped dock (including a screen) that turned it to a full desktop back then? a good friend of mine used to design+publish a whole magazine on it (w/ pagemaker) for years

josehill wrote:[*]PowerBook3,1 - (G3 Firewire/Pismo) upgraded with ZIP drive.

pound for pound & inch by inch this is the best laptop i’ve owned and used by far. a truly professional laptop (no matter what each ones profession was), repairable/upgradable in 30 seconds and all of the expansion ports were on the rear. hello apple!? not on the bloody left/right sides of the machine. did everything i could to keep it as my main driver (maxed out everything, upgraded the cpu to a G4) but the early versions of OS X were an experiment of hardware specs and software transitions.

from the classic era, my favourite was the quadra 840av, great “home” desktop with video capabilities way beyond its time. can’t recall the specifics but it included a bunch of extra DSP chips that did handle audio/video properly. it also required a customised version of MacOS due to its special hardware.

josehill wrote:Oh, yes, and a Newton MessagePad 130!

dang! don't know how i got that lucky back then, my handwriting is probably the worst on the planet but i've owned the last newton 2000 or 2200 something and its handwriting recognition would work great for me. due to its looong size, i have fond memories where friends would ask me why do i carry a flatbed scanner :lol:

today, after a few experiments with some macbook air models (and their fixed ram) this “old” macbook7,1 cuts everything i do (16GB ram / SSD) and what cannot be done on it gets done in the studio not at home.

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:38 am

fu wrote:
josehill wrote:[*]PowerBook Duo 270c - includes interesting stuff like Aldus Pagemaker and Aldus Persuasion

was this the one that used to come /w a pimped dock (including a screen) that turned it to a full desktop back then? a good friend of mine used to design+publish a whole magazine on it (w/ pagemaker) for years

Yep. I have the fully pimped Dock and a ginormous external 14" RGB display, too.

fu wrote:
josehill wrote:[*]PowerBook3,1 - (G3 Firewire/Pismo) upgraded with ZIP drive.

pound for pound & inch by inch this is the best laptop i’ve owned and used by far. a truly professional laptop (no matter what each ones profession was), repairable/upgradable in 30 seconds and all of the expansion ports were on the rear. hello apple!? not on the bloody left/right sides of the machine. did everything i could to keep it as my main driver (maxed out everything, upgraded the cpu to a G4) but the early versions of OS X were an experiment of hardware specs and software transitions.

Yes, the Pismo is a terrific machine. The points you raise are a big reason why Apple continues to sell a pile of mid-2012 non-Retina MacBookPros! My Pismo was a freebie I got from a digital prepress guy when he switched all the systems in his shop to x86. It's nicely tricked out with Panther, Quark, Adobe CS, and a huge number of professional fonts -- no crappy fonts from those "1000 Fonts for $20!" blowouts.

fu wrote:
josehill wrote:Oh, yes, and a Newton MessagePad 130!

dang! don't know how i got that lucky back then, my handwriting is probably the worst on the planet but i've owned the last newton 2000 or 2200 something and its handwriting recognition would work great for me. due to its looong size, i have fond memories where friends would ask me why do i carry a flatbed scanner :lol:

It's too bad that the later Newtons were so badly tarnished by the flaws of the early models. By the time the 130 came out, it really was a solid platform. The iPad could learn a few tricks from it!

fu wrote:today, after a few experiments with some macbook air models (and their fixed ram) this “old” macbook7,1 cuts everything i do (16GB ram / SSD) and what cannot be done on it gets done in the studio not at home.

Great machine. I'm really not looking forward to the day when the only options left are iThingys with everything soldered in.

SPSDOD
Donor
Donor

Unread postby SPSDOD » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:46 am

f10d4 wrote:What Apple hardware do we have?

Mac Classic with 4MB of RAM, external 100Mb hard drive, and Apple 600e CD-ROM drive. I use it as a terminal for my IRIS systems (serial connection) if they're broken. It runs OS 7.5.3

B&W PowerMac G3 with 1.5GB of RAM and a couple of 20GB hard disks. It dual boots Mac OS X 10.3 and Mac OS 9.2.2. I find myself partial to the case design and color. On the 9.2.2. side it has a lot of old Mac games. 10.3 runs well on it. I also consider 10.3 the first version of OS X that was responsive enough for serious work to be done.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage :Indigo2: :ChallengeL: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Octane:

fu

Unread postby fu » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:29 am

josehill wrote:Yes, the Pismo is a terrific machine... My Pismo was a freebie I got from a digital prepress guy...

if you have some space, treasure it jo :)

i’ve done loads of projects on it and i miss its functional glory every single day. pete once helped me with shipping a “portable” firewire array from cali to hampstead theatre where i used the pismo to do lots of straight-to-disk recording via firewire. the pre-press guy’s setup is still capable of doing lots of damage, i’designed 2 pop-up books on the pismo while it was on its MacOS 9 days. dtp-wise, you can still do anything you like and pass it on to the press in pure .ai/.eps format.

josehill wrote:I'm really not looking forward to the day when the only options left are iThingys with everything soldered in.

i understand that some engineering/industial design cases will introduce certain changes over time. what i cannot get (and is what pissed me the most after using apple machines ever since they came out) is the psychosis of “no user-replaceable parts” in the “professional” line-up. for the work i do, most interesting locations won’t have an apple store round the corner; how come i cannot change the bloody battery? i should be able to ring a reseller and have a damn battery fedexed over not the other way round (fedex the whole laptop in order to replace its battery). you all have similar points coming from your work’s pov.

SPSDOD wrote:I also consider 10.3 the first version of OS X that was responsive enough for serious work to be done.

i’m terrible with model numbers (some times i remember the cat’s name, other times the numeric version) but iirc, yes 10.3 was getting up to comparable (MacOS 9) responsiveness and it also brought back the colo(u)r labels, something we used to tag our projects ever since, what was it guys? MacOS 6 or something.

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:33 pm

10.3 was Panther. I think 10.4 was the peak for PowerPC (still had Classic, good performance, classic Mac gamma).

I like the Pismo, but my Wally does well with Rhapsody, which is primarily what I use it for now.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:22 am

fu wrote:
josehill wrote:I'm really not looking forward to the day when the only options left are iThingys with everything soldered in.

i understand that some engineering/industial design cases will introduce certain changes over time. what i cannot get (and is what pissed me the most after using apple machines ever since they came out) is the psychosis of “no user-replaceable parts” in the “professional” line-up. for the work i do, most interesting locations won’t have an apple store round the corner; how come i cannot change the bloody battery? i should be able to ring a reseller and have a damn battery fedexed over not the other way round (fedex the whole laptop in order to replace its battery). you all have similar points coming from your work’s pov.

As somebody who has run their "all-day battery life" mac's battery from full to flat in a bit over an hour because it wasn't plugged in, I can relate.

But:

- batteries last for thousands of cycles now.
- batteries, for the average user (not if you are doing AV stuff, derp) really do last all day now.
- built in batteries can be made much larger than snap-ins, and the machine's fan can cool the battery, eliminating overheating.
- if you need extra battery life, buy an auxiliary battery pack which can be had starting around $0.50 / Wh. Some have a built in mains inverter. The one I have can also jump-start a car. There is even a good chance the thing will not blow off your eyebrows when you least expect it. Some fit in your pocket, etc.
- if your built-in battery does need to be replaced, apple's built in batteries are far cheaper than external packs from lenovo or dell. The battery service for my MBP costs $120. The comparable thinkpad's battery from lenovo is $174, and Panasonic's is $145 for much less capacity.
- lastly, if you are really opposed to losing the ability to completely strip your laptop in less than 30 seconds rifle-style, there are a gazillion other machines out there that let you do just that. It's kind of like complaining BMW doesn't make pick up trucks. I tend toward panasonic for field machines, but the HP probook series is also very well built, if you don't like lenovo for some reason.

fu

Unread postby fu » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:12 pm

@syb, kinda sorta, not every real-use case is identical

-i’m happy with how batteries perform nowadays. they’ve come a long way (i was one of those that carried laptop batteries when they used to weigh as much as a laptop) and as long as you’re close to a mains source things are controllable.

- batteries are sensitive to environmental conditions no matter if they’re called lipo or peepoh now, take a battery somewhere that its either really cold or really hot and its expected cycle will behave funny.

- no problem with the pricing per se. again, most interesting places won’t have an apple store next door. having to fedex the whole laptop w/ all of the work boiling inside it just to have the battery replaced is outrageous, period.

i usually have a whole container dealing with batteries for equipment when on location, last thing i need to worry about is if my laptop needs to be fedexed because of its battery.

the macbook i’m using today is one of the last ones that take just 4-5 screws to get to the innards. it’s battery is technically not-user-replaceable but it’s a pop-out/pop-in flair, that is one important reason why i picked this one.

- no real alternatives for me.

windows? no comment, best thing that happened to it was the hackintosh jailbreak

lunix mount /dev/sr0 and all the funky commands you taught me when i had the o2? that’s either a hobby or a studio setup where i sit down with my editor or colourist. the door next to the console leads to the room where the tech guys are (or used to be), they are responsible for the funky commands that keep the machines running and i’m responsible for what comes up on the screen.

this ain’t about pushing buttons, bitching about the latest specs and shooting your mates getting drunk for youtube. it’s about getting work done; my work feeds lots of families, it’s not a one-man-show in his corner playing with one app every second.

people like me, art-schools and the associated showbiz industry kept apple on their feet when they were circling the drain every fiscal quarter or so. apple can build decent professional machines but they’ve apparently gone euphoric with the consumer line (that was supposed to help them keep the pro line decent).

but then of course, the work you do leaves you more room for choice betwixt machines and OSs :)

guardian452 wrote:The one I have can also jump-start a car. There is even a good chance the thing will not blow off your eyebrows when you least expect it. Some fit in your pocket, etc.

linky please? sounds like i’ve missed that.

ClassicHasClass wrote:my Wally does well with Rhapsody, which is primarily what I use it for now.

you’ve got homer narrating on your laptop or is this the codename of some exotic NeXTStep version that was supposed to run on Macs?

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:43 pm

fu wrote:
ClassicHasClass wrote:my Wally does well with Rhapsody, which is primarily what I use it for now.

you’ve got homer narrating on your laptop or is this the codename of some exotic NeXTStep version that was supposed to run on Macs?

Rhapsody was the early incarnation of OSX, back when it looked like OS9 and NeXTStep had a baby and only ran classic Mac software in a separate emulator.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:33 am

fu wrote:
guardian452 wrote:The one I have can also jump-start a car. There is even a good chance the thing will not blow off your eyebrows when you least expect it. Some fit in your pocket, etc.

linky please? sounds like i’ve missed that.

If you want to run a macbook you would need something like
or
and

The one I have is but it can't put out the voltage required for a macbook. It will easily start a 6.7L cummins.

Added:
Apparently we are not allowed to post product links anymore? (to amazon) Well, google "Anker Astro Pro2". You will have to buy a magsafe plug separately. I have one called a Powerall but it can't charge most laptops, jump-start and USB chargers only.
Last edited by guardian452 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigD

Unread postby bigD » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:50 am

I have some Apple iHardware, mainly because the woman in my life has Apple stuff, and the integration makes life easier. So I have an iPhone 6s, an iPad Air 2 (provided by my employer), a MacBook Air, and a late model Apple TV.

Of vintage hardware, I own a Quadra 700, a Macintosh TV, a Macintosh 512K, and a Powerbook 180c.
:Onyx2: :Indigo2: :O3x0:

Return to “Apple”