iPad Pro on the way!

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
fu

Re: iPad Pro on the way!

Unread postby fu » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:21 am

josehill wrote:it was his "desk" use case that I thought was interesting

i agree. at that size (of the pro), the lines blur too much between handheld and desktop.

skywriter wrote:However, Apple Pen, and a drawing device - depending on the software - has more in common with Bamboo tablet's, for instance. Beyond just pointing, drawing, and clicking there is a lot of context sensitivity dependent on how you hold the pen that is advantageous.

did you try any quick+dirty tests on exporting the drawings from the pro to anywhere else?

i guess there’s the standard apple app + a gazillion more in the app store but are the export options standard formats? could you export a drawing to something which say illustrator could read/open?

i remember talking about export peculiarities regarding documents back when we were both testing the (then latest) iPad but things may have changed till then?

edit: trilingual auto spellers suck and my eyesight is getting worse

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:04 pm

Many years ago I ditched everything except Apple for all my computer networking needs - mostly, except for Networks - not counting Apple WIFI Access points- and Network Storage; I have a NETGEAR ReadyNAS 6GB RAID6 array, a Direct attached Drobo 5 disc RAID5 E-STAT Array for Final Cut projects, and Mac Pro fronted Drobo 8 disc RAID6 iSCSI array. Also a NETGEAR 24 port 1gb switch, and a NETGEAR router/firewall.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

fu

Unread postby fu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:55 am

yeah that rings a bell, i remember you looking for some configuration for a zyxel back when i had a kid in the crew that used to work for them. you might remember that a single aebs was enough for me, they’re dead silent, i hide one on my bookshelf and that’s it.

but then, there’s no such thing as a one/steady base/home for me and i have to make do with a trillion of isp/vpn/storage servers for my designs and dailies. that drives me nuts. so a whizz-kid in the crew came up with a solution for one of those tiny ugly things. as long as its small enough to fit in my pocket and does what i need, i’m fine. now i can focus on my work and go for walk later :)

back to the iPad, if the pro plays nice with the drawing part it may serve as a tool for me. if it takes a marathon of exporting+converting to a format that illustrator could open then it stays in the apple store.

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:47 am

Hey fu! Yeah, that zyxel is still sitting on the shelf. I decided to just get a better NETGEAR than the model I had. I went through two of them that eventually would randomly hang the gateway to my cable connection that everyone here. I ended up with the NETGEAR FVS318v3; a nice step up from the FVS318g :-) no problems at all with the v3! NETGEAR is the one other vendor that has done fairly well in this house, and it's the only other company I will consider other than Apple. Printers are a crap shoot though I go with HP - the devil I know.

DECUS Member 368596

fu

Unread postby fu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:01 am

hi sky! tried to ping you but something’s stuck in my profile

the devil and lernaean hydra together, i once managed to find a decent xerox then i had to hunt down toners left+right. threw it out the window and now do all of my printing @ specialized shops; same for pretty much everything, if my laptop can’t cut it i’m off to a post house to wrap things up. man, i’ve had enough, it either works or it’s out, simplicity über alles :)

if you get a chance of doodling with the iPad pro and check how it exports from itself to the rest of the planet, please post back. i see that pete might take it for a spin as well. one of my wacoms is slowly dying so it may serve as a replacement.

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:59 am

I usually stick with a laser printer w/duplexor for and an 'all-in-one' with/duplexer - the latter is most useful for kids that want 'color prints', and scanning tax documents, and run approximately three 'all-in-ones' per laser printer.

The pen is only as good as the app that supports it. I have these app that seem to support most than the 'dumb finger' pen model: Adobe Sketch, Paper, Procreate, ArtStudio, and Pixelmator. Goofing with these & Apple pen might give you a better idea than me giving it a random skribble. :-)

DECUS Member 368596

Return to “Apple”