Apple Power G5 Vs Octane2 (NOISE CHALLENGE)

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
uunix
Donor
Donor

Apple Power G5 Vs Octane2 (NOISE CHALLENGE)

Unread postby uunix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:45 pm

FFS.. I was getting one of those cheapo Power G5 macs (I got for a tenner UKP) installed at work with no joy (possibly wrong install disk who knows) and it was like a mouse, I get it home, burn an Ubuntu or rather lunbuntu disk and boot up.. FFS IT'S FSCKING LOUDER THAN MY FSCKING LOUD OCTANE!!!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: Apple Power G5 Vs Octane2 (NOISE CHALLENGE)

Unread postby uunix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:00 pm

To be honest dude, I just want to know it works, then I'll install osx 10.4 server (Once I get in the loft and dig it out). And as I type this, I have desktop appear.. woo hoo. After 30 mins! There's only One Linus in my house and that's my firewall!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Well, I have some details on my machine..
CPU[s] PPC970MP 2.3GHz - Is this dual CPU?
Memory 2GB
Display NVidia GeForce 6600
No Disks shown, yet disk 1 is SSD and 2 is SATA
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

toasty

Unread postby toasty » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:08 pm

I dabbled with linux on my Power Mac G5 when I still had it. And it also did the Apple version of fastfan! I think it's because the G5's fan control system under linux hasn't been perfected yet. It was much quieter when I threw FreeBSD on it though. Congrats on your "new" G5!
:Fuel: rhaegar :MacBook: snow

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:16 pm

ivelagacy.. NO FSCKING LINUX!!!!!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:24 pm

toasty wrote:I dabbled with linux on my Power Mac G5 when I still had it. And it also did the Apple version of fastfan! I think it's because the G5's fan control system under linux hasn't been perfected yet. It was much quieter when I threw FreeBSD on it though. Congrats on your "new" G5!

Thanks.. I've had it a few months now but it's been sat at work.
Slackware circa 1995 was the only Line-UCK I ever liked.
But it's running right now and is silent, and looks like if your were a man computer, then you'd have sex with this! So I think my manly IBM will probably begat the apple during the night and produce some aIppBleM's

Well, so much to do.. like get the drives recognized.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:24 pm

CPU PPC970MP 2.3GHz - Is this dual CPU?

Yes (more accurately it's dual core). This is the fastest air-cooled G5. The earlier dual processor 2.3 is slightly slower but has a better reliability track record, though both are solid machines.

IMHO, only the DP (and DC) 2.3 and the Quad are worth owning, the 2.3 because it's easier to maintain and less prone to problems, and the Quad because, well, it's the Quad.

I have not heard good things about Linux on the G5, mostly due to various things about the cooling system not being properly driven by the kernel. I'm sticking with Tiger on mine. If the fan is going gangbusters in it, it might just be Linux. Wouldn't hurt to refresh the thermal paste though.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:17 pm

My wife came running in, half shock/half amazement, when I played with smcfancontrol on my mac pro and turned everything up all the way. Half power drill, half jet turbine, half lawnmower.

"I thought that thing didn't have any fans in it! What did you do??!"
ivelegacy wrote:Image

MorphOS (aka Mos) is a lightweight, highly efficient and flexible desktop operating system. It includes primarily proprietary as well as open - source components. Its many features range from a modern exceptionally customizable graphical user interface, which can utilize 3D hardware acceleration, to a high-performance Just-in-Time compiler that emulates the 68k family of processors and thereby allows to transparently execute legacy applications developed for the Commodore Ax00 series of computers. You will find a selection of core components described below

I installed Mos on MDD (PowerMac 2xG4-7450@1.6Ghz): great experience, I envy my friend (the machine is not mine, he asked me to prepare a dual boot, linux/Mos).

It's a nice OS, even if it misses great applications, you "could" find it interesting. It's fast, with a decent filesystem and interface.
Your machine is supported, you only have to check the video card.

Posted just to inform you about the alternative fun :mrgreen:

No, it's not supported. :cry: Only the "old" G5s (a1047, with PCI-X and AGP slots, not PCI-E) are supported. I've been fascinated by morphos but have no reason to use it.

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:58 pm

ivelegacy wrote:Image

MorphOS (aka Mos) is a lightweight, highly efficient and flexible desktop operating system. It includes primarily proprietary as well as open - source components. Its many features range from a modern exceptionally customizable graphical user interface, which can utilize 3D hardware acceleration, to a high-performance Just-in-Time compiler that emulates the 68k family of processors and thereby allows to transparently execute legacy applications developed for the Commodore Ax00 series of computers. You will find a selection of core components described below

I installed Mos on MDD (PowerMac 2xG4-7450@1.6Ghz): great experience, I envy my friend (the machine is not mine, he asked me to prepare a dual boot, linux/Mos).

It's a nice OS, even if it misses great applications, you "could" find it interesting. It's fast, with a decent filesystem and interface.
Your machine is supported, you only have to check the video card.

Posted just to inform you about the alternative fun :mrgreen:

Isn't that the OS made by desperate mouthbreathing basement dwellers who believe that the Amiga still has a place in the market but can't actually afford the licensing fees to use the name AmigaOS?
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:03 pm

I've never gotten my hands on any AmigaOS 4 stuff. Expensive for what it is. Still waiting for an emulator for that one. :)
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:33 pm

Oh man, did they really put "REMOVE AT RISK OF DEATH" on the silkscreen? :lol:
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

chicaneuk

Unread postby chicaneuk » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:29 am

Should you decide to stick OSX on it, I do have a genuine Apple Leopard install DVD here mate which I'd be happy to loan you.
:Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200:

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Leopard is fine, but I think nowadays the best reason to own a Power Mac is all that lovely Classic-era software that won't run properly or at all on an Intel Mac, even with Sheepshaver (which is a neat hack but doesn't really work all that well, especially if you've ever tried to run things like QuarkXPress or FrameMaker in it). That means Tiger. Heck, early OS X software that wasn't universal, for that matter. There's some gems in there too.
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:01 pm

chicaneuk wrote:Should you decide to stick OSX on it, I do have a genuine Apple Leopard install DVD here mate which I'd be happy to loan you.

I do indeed, as I do have some legacy stuff (AJA control software) & that was my plan all along. I actually wanted OSX server & has a copy but it's a grey CD dedicated to a certain machine & in this case it's my Mac Mini server, so no go there.

But if you do have a black OSX cd, I'd certainly borrow it, but there really is no rush on this. Maybe next time I see you. :)
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:00 am

I actually wanted OSX server & has a copy but it's a grey CD dedicated to a certain machine & in this case it's my Mac Mini server

If that was the disc that came with your Mac mini server, then unfortunately you might have an Intel OS X disc there. No grey OS X Server CD ever shipped with a PowerPC Mac mini; that concept didn't emerge until the Intel days.
smit happens.

Return to “Apple”