New laptop thoughts

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
guardian452
Donor
Donor

Re: New laptop thoughts

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:11 am

Article about 10.6 and 10.4 sticking around for a Long Time... http://lowendmac.com/roundtable/12rt/03 ... opard.html

Don't forget that you can run newer OSX virtualized even if your hardware isn't supported directly; it may not be a viable option for daily operations on a portable but it lessens the pain when your machine drops off the compatibility list.

WolvesOfTheNight

Re: New laptop thoughts

Unread postby WolvesOfTheNight » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:44 am

PymbleSoftware -

Thanks for the notes! That gives some idea. For some purposes the cloud is a good idea. However, I agree with the others in not trusting any of the mega-corps with their stuff. Actually, I also don't trust the pico-corps with it either, but they are far less likely to cause problems.

guardian452 -

Ok, that is worth reading. Thought I suspect I would have to go used to get 10.6 on a macbook pro. I wonder if the new 13in non-retina pros come with the latest version, and if I could upgrade to an older version? Probably not...

duck -

I suspect the SSD failures will depend vastly on the intelligence of the controller and how well it manages the internal RAID of the individual flash chips it is composed of. If, like any 15 year old HDD, it will say "Oh, that spot is bad, recover from parity, and I guess I won't use it anymore" then it should do well. But if it spazzes out at the first failure then it is far worse.

I don't know on HDD replacement flash drives (which I hope are better) but I have had flash RAM fail in the worst possible moment. I start hiking up the abandoned transandine railroad grade and -BAM!- the flash card in my camera dies. And that was the day I forgot the spare card. Grrrrr....
-WolvesOfTheNight

Return to “Apple”