Mac Pro 2013

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
User avatar
Irinikus
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:25 am
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:39 am

This was the very first Mac that I bought new and in my honest opinion, it's been an absolute pleasure to use!

Just so that there's no misunderstanding, I cannot speak for people in the industry, but for home use, it's been fantastic for a number of reasons:

1) It's small form factor.
2) It's dead quiet.
3) low power consumption.
4) all of the peripherals that I have personally ever needed to use with the machine have simply connected into the USB hub in my Cinema Display, thereby eliminating the need to have a whole bunch of unsightly wires connected to it. (CD-ROM and USB drives sit neatly under my monitor)
5) Unlike with the iMac, I will actually be able to use it for something else, such as a media server, for example, when it becomes obsolete. (I'm certainly not going to have an iMac sitting in my living room, connected to my TV)
6) It's a pleasure to look at.

As for processing power is concerned, I believe that this machine has more than enough of it for my purposes at least.

As far as I'm concerned, you actually have to live with something for a while (a few years) before you can correctly pass judgement on it!
I personally judge things in terms of how much they irritate me through use, and in the case of this machine, I haven't had much to be irritated about!

As far as all the whining concerning the need for a refreshed system goes, the people doing the whining probably don't own one, and are just unwittingly trying to drive consumerism!

Let me explain: If you consider what these machines cost, you would at least expect that if you bought one at the time of release, that it would last 3 to 5 years before needing to be replaced.

If you consider that most of the people who were in the market for one at the time of it's release, more than likely bought one at that time, it would make absolutely no sense for them to need to buy a new one for at least the next 3 years.

Hence it probably wouldn't have made good business sense for Apple to release an new one within this timeframe.

It looks like they are more than likely going to release a new machine sometime in the next year, and as far as I'm concerned, this is perfect timing.

Are there any other members on this site who've had experience with this machine, and if so, what are your views concerning it?
:Onyx2:Quad R14K 500MHz, IR3, DG5-8 :Tezro:Quad R16K 700MHz, 8MB, V12, DCD, DM3 :Octane2:Dual R14K 600MHz, PCI Card Cage, V12 :320:Dual 1GHz PIII
:O2:R12K 400MHz, DCD :Indigo:R4400SC 150MHz, ELAN :Indigo2:R4400SC 200MHz, Extreme :Indy:R4400SC 200MHz, XZ :Indy:R5000SC 150MHz, 24Bit XL.
SUN..................JavaStation-10 (Krups); XVR-4000.
|d|i|g|i|t|a|l|...AlphaStation 255/300MHz.
Cray..................Cray1: Memory Module; Cray2: Memory Module (complete stack of eight boards) and a power supply module; Cray3: ECL Module.
Apple................G3 Clamshell; G4 Sawtooth; G4 Quicksilver; G4 Mirror Doors; G5; Mac Pro 2013 (Trash can); 27 inch Cinema Display.
IBM..................486 DX-4 100MHz, 32Mb RAM, Creative Soundblaster 16-Bit, 1.44 Mb Disk drive, Creative 4X CD-ROM, 520Mb HDD.

Hombre71
Donor
Donor
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:10 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby Hombre71 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:38 am

Irinikus wrote:This was the very first Mac that I bought new and in my honest opinion, it's been an absolute pleasure to use!

Just so that there's no misunderstanding, I cannot speak for people in the industry, but for home use, it's been fantastic for a number of reasons:

1) It's small form factor.
2) It's dead quiet.
3) low power consumption.
4) all of the peripherals that I have personally ever needed to use with the machine have simply connected into the USB hub in my Cinema Display, thereby eliminating the need to have a whole bunch of unsightly wires connected to it. (CD-ROM and USB drives sit neatly under my monitor)
5) Unlike with the iMac, I will actually be able to use it for something else, such as a media server, for example, when it becomes obsolete. (I'm certainly not going to have an iMac sitting in my living room, connected to my TV)
6) It's a pleasure to look at.

As for processing power is concerned, I believe that this machine has more than enough of it for my purposes at least.

As far as I'm concerned, you actually have to live with something for a while (a few years) before you can correctly pass judgement on it!
I personally judge things in terms of how much they irritate me through use, and in the case of this machine, I haven't had much to be irritated about!

As far as all the whining concerning the need for a refreshed system goes, the people doing the whining probably don't own one, and are just unwittingly trying to drive consumerism!

Let me explain: If you consider what these machines cost, you would at least expect that if you bought one at the time of release, that it would last 3 to 5 years before needing to be replaced.

If you consider that most of the people who were in the market for one at the time of it's release, more than likely bought one at that time, it would make absolutely no sense for them to need to buy a new one for at least the next 3 years.

Hence it probably wouldn't have made good business sense for Apple to release an new one within this timeframe.

It looks like they are more than likely going to release a new machine sometime in the next year, and as far as I'm concerned, this is perfect timing.

Are there any other members on this site who've had experience with this machine, and if so, what are your views concerning it?


I have previously craved one of these but didn't want to spend the $$$$. I noticed lately that, probably in anticipation of the black iMac Pro
that is coming, people are starting to sell these and they can now be had here around 2K euro mark.
People have for ever asked for more user upgradeable Mac desktop boxes but that really isn't Apple's business model anymore.
That's why the MacPro's were pretty nice, you could swap pretty much everything yourself with the right skillset.
The 2nd hand asking prices for 2010 era Mac Pro's are still > 1K euro around here, so that's saying something.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :O2: :320: :1600SW:

User avatar
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor
Posts: 4881
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Wijchen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:33 am

Irinikus wrote:If you consider that most of the people who were in the market for one at the time of it's release, more than likely bought one at that time, it would make absolutely no sense for them to need to buy a new one for at least the next 3 years.

Hombre71 wrote:The 2nd hand asking prices for 2010 era Mac Pro's are still > 1K euro around here, so that's saying something.

I had an "early 2011" 13" MacBook Pro. I was happy with it, but after 6 years it was getting a little long in the tooth.

Checked out the current (2017) model in the Apple store, loved the retina screen, but positively hated the keyboard. Would have to choose between only two USB ports (one of which is taken for charging) *or* 4 of them, but having to give up actual ESC and Fn keys for a touch bar gizmo. :roll:

I ended up getting a refurbished 13" 2015 model, with 16GB RAM and 512GB flash. These things apparently had a manufacturing problem causing the screen to delaminate. It's replaced under warranty, and when they replace it, they have to replace the keyboard and the battery as well, because it's all one assembly. So what you end up is essentially a new Macbook, except the logic board is a year old.

Not only does this MacBook have a functional keyboard, it was also > €1000 cheaper than the equivalent 2017 model. It's under warranty until sometime in 2019 (Applecare). And I got €450 back for my 2011 MacBook, which means that over the 6 years I used it, it depreciated by ~ €100 a year. If this one lasts me the next 5 years or so it will cost me a similar amount per year.

I like the 13" MacBook Pro because it's easy to carry around and "just works". For the heavy lifting I have an HP Z600 workstation with dual hexacore Xeon CPUs, lots of RAM and a big screen. But it gets only a fraction of the use of the Macbook. And because it runs Windows 10 it spontaneously reboots in the middle of the night while rendering or transcoding a bunch of BluRays (Windows updates are more important than getting work done).
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

GIJoe
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:44 am
Location: Germany -> UK -> Germany...

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby GIJoe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:11 pm

i specced out the current MBP models but it's not that much faster considering all the time that has passed since i picked up my late 2011 model and i agree that the keyboards of the touch-strip models are painful and the connectivity is a joke.
so i'll invest in a makeover of my current machine's internals instead to keep it running for a few more years. i just figured that what i use a laptop for isn't worth over 3000 euros in current day apple prices with all the drawbacks of the new machine factored in and considering it would have to last longer - on a maximum of 16 GB RAM and 1 GB SSD. both of which my current machine supports easily.

as for the mac pro 2013 - would have loved to have one. small, powerful and quiet is just my scene. it always seemed to me like a low-end model for a non-existing workstation line - like apple's take on the o2 but they forgot to make an octane to cover power user's needs. perhaps if it's indeed cheap enough i'll pick one up.

have to say though that after the various mac pro model refresh dramas - not just the one for the trashcan - i would never ever consider an apple machine as my primary workhorse. they can make neat computers for sure and the OS i consider superior to billy-OS, too. but if i am left in the dark for years as to what their model refresh policy and upgrade roadmap may look like - or if there even is one - it's just not worth the trouble betting on the platform.

User avatar
guardian452
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3429
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:31 am

jan-jaap wrote:I ended up getting a refurbished 13" 2015 model, with 16GB RAM and 512GB flash. These things apparently had a manufacturing problem causing the screen to delaminate. It's replaced under warranty, and when they replace it, they have to replace the keyboard and the battery as well, because it's all one assembly. So what you end up is essentially a new Macbook, except the logic board is a year old.


I missed my 2014 model after selling it so much I bought another one- this one with i7 and 16gb ram. My replacement model also had the screen lamination issue repaired, tho I never had a problem with the original. Over 90% of the time I use it in clamshell mode so that probably helps. Upgraded to 1tb disk because I couldn't find one whole that was fully "maxed out".

I really wish apple would incorporate the touchpad and keyboard from my razer blade- the tracking, texture, and overall feel are all superior.

The battery is a seperate service item - $179 including R&R. Not sure about the screen. However, if you need to replace the keyboard you are quite literally SOL. About 50 pop rivets hold it to the bottom case.

I used one of those touch-strip thingies on a thinkpad x1 and not only did it put me off thinkpads for life, it's put me off even considering a new mbp. Which is a shame, I have a tb3 egpu I use on pc and would like to play with on mac. Perhaps with enough dongles and cables I can connect it to my 2014.

My next computer will probably be the 10.5" ipad (gold), miss my 9.7 ipad pro

Hombre71
Donor
Donor
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:10 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby Hombre71 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:38 am

I used one of those touch-strip thingies on a thinkpad x1 and not only did it put me off thinkpads for life, it's put me off even considering a new mbp. Which is a shame, I have a tb3 egpu I use on pc and would like to play with on mac. Perhaps with enough dongles and cables I can connect it to my 2014.

My next computer will probably be the 10.5" ipad (gold), miss my 9.7 ipad pro


Sonnet has a new eGpu box out that also works with Thunderbolt 2 supposedly.
At any rate for official eGPU support you need to run MacOs HighSierra that's out shortly.

https://egpu.io/

https://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe/2017-19 ... 16016.html
:Tezro: :Fuel: :O2: :320: :1600SW:

GIJoe
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:44 am
Location: Germany -> UK -> Germany...

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby GIJoe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:14 am

if the eGPU stuff works with any mac with the appropriate ports then it may be actually be quite interesting for professional users of the trashcan. those dual AMD chips were never really all that fast as far as i know but connect an nvidia 1080 or titan and it should extend the machine's useful life span quite a bit.

User avatar
Irinikus
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:25 am
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:19 am

I've seen it done and it does work well.
:Onyx2:Quad R14K 500MHz, IR3, DG5-8 :Tezro:Quad R16K 700MHz, 8MB, V12, DCD, DM3 :Octane2:Dual R14K 600MHz, PCI Card Cage, V12 :320:Dual 1GHz PIII
:O2:R12K 400MHz, DCD :Indigo:R4400SC 150MHz, ELAN :Indigo2:R4400SC 200MHz, Extreme :Indy:R4400SC 200MHz, XZ :Indy:R5000SC 150MHz, 24Bit XL.
SUN..................JavaStation-10 (Krups); XVR-4000.
|d|i|g|i|t|a|l|...AlphaStation 255/300MHz.
Cray..................Cray1: Memory Module; Cray2: Memory Module (complete stack of eight boards) and a power supply module; Cray3: ECL Module.
Apple................G3 Clamshell; G4 Sawtooth; G4 Quicksilver; G4 Mirror Doors; G5; Mac Pro 2013 (Trash can); 27 inch Cinema Display.
IBM..................486 DX-4 100MHz, 32Mb RAM, Creative Soundblaster 16-Bit, 1.44 Mb Disk drive, Creative 4X CD-ROM, 520Mb HDD.

GIJoe
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:44 am
Location: Germany -> UK -> Germany...

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby GIJoe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:58 am

Irinikus: off topic - from what you posted elsewhere on this forum it appears your octane 2 is a green new logo model. just wondering where you got it from? i sold a green dual-600 like that to cape town a few years back, hence the question. :)

User avatar
Irinikus
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:25 am
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:35 am

Confirm you live in Germany?

If so, then I probably bought it from you back in 2014.

It's a great machine! :D

Edit: I just checked your profile and saw that you indeed bo live in Germany.
Last edited by Irinikus on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Onyx2:Quad R14K 500MHz, IR3, DG5-8 :Tezro:Quad R16K 700MHz, 8MB, V12, DCD, DM3 :Octane2:Dual R14K 600MHz, PCI Card Cage, V12 :320:Dual 1GHz PIII
:O2:R12K 400MHz, DCD :Indigo:R4400SC 150MHz, ELAN :Indigo2:R4400SC 200MHz, Extreme :Indy:R4400SC 200MHz, XZ :Indy:R5000SC 150MHz, 24Bit XL.
SUN..................JavaStation-10 (Krups); XVR-4000.
|d|i|g|i|t|a|l|...AlphaStation 255/300MHz.
Cray..................Cray1: Memory Module; Cray2: Memory Module (complete stack of eight boards) and a power supply module; Cray3: ECL Module.
Apple................G3 Clamshell; G4 Sawtooth; G4 Quicksilver; G4 Mirror Doors; G5; Mac Pro 2013 (Trash can); 27 inch Cinema Display.
IBM..................486 DX-4 100MHz, 32Mb RAM, Creative Soundblaster 16-Bit, 1.44 Mb Disk drive, Creative 4X CD-ROM, 520Mb HDD.

GIJoe
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:44 am
Location: Germany -> UK -> Germany...

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby GIJoe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:43 am

yeah if you got yours from frankfurt in '14 and it came with a PCI cage with dual-scsi and a hacked 3com then it must be my former one. always been a very reliable box. if that checks out i am glad to hear it's still kicking! :)

User avatar
Irinikus
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:25 am
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:52 am

It's definitely your box then!

I'm extremely happy to have it in my collection! :D

Just so that you know, it's extremely well looked after, so it should keep on going as long as I'm alive as I won't sell it.

BTW, it's great to see that you're also into fine time pieces! :D
:Onyx2:Quad R14K 500MHz, IR3, DG5-8 :Tezro:Quad R16K 700MHz, 8MB, V12, DCD, DM3 :Octane2:Dual R14K 600MHz, PCI Card Cage, V12 :320:Dual 1GHz PIII
:O2:R12K 400MHz, DCD :Indigo:R4400SC 150MHz, ELAN :Indigo2:R4400SC 200MHz, Extreme :Indy:R4400SC 200MHz, XZ :Indy:R5000SC 150MHz, 24Bit XL.
SUN..................JavaStation-10 (Krups); XVR-4000.
|d|i|g|i|t|a|l|...AlphaStation 255/300MHz.
Cray..................Cray1: Memory Module; Cray2: Memory Module (complete stack of eight boards) and a power supply module; Cray3: ECL Module.
Apple................G3 Clamshell; G4 Sawtooth; G4 Quicksilver; G4 Mirror Doors; G5; Mac Pro 2013 (Trash can); 27 inch Cinema Display.
IBM..................486 DX-4 100MHz, 32Mb RAM, Creative Soundblaster 16-Bit, 1.44 Mb Disk drive, Creative 4X CD-ROM, 520Mb HDD.

User avatar
guardian452
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3429
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:29 am

Hombre71 wrote:Sonnet has a new eGpu box out that also works with Thunderbolt 2 supposedly.

I have a Razer Core and GTX1070 - works fine on windows for games but... other than getting 60hz dual 4k out of my MBP (right now I'm stuck at 30hz) I would have no use for it on mac. The intel iris is sufficient.

Those sonnet boxes looks really chintzy by comparison: twice the footprint, no USB or ethernet ports. Looks like it's made from thin sheet metal. The Razer may not be hewn from a solid block of granite - like an old Octane - but it at least puts Apple's build quality to shame.

The unknown is compatibility... I know it works in windows and have heard it works in linux. No idea if it is supported in MacOS (did I do that right?) or not. I use a Mamba 16k and Blackwidow X TE on mac... Synapse on mac sucks, but it works. I have not tried the new Synapse 3.0 yet.

I understand Razer designed the Core to be a dumb box, all of the plumbing is standards-compliant and the lights are just a USB device. But reality is sometimes different.

GIJoe
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:44 am
Location: Germany -> UK -> Germany...

Re: Mac Pro 2013

Unread postby GIJoe » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 am

Irinikus wrote:It's definitely your box then!

I'm extremely happy to have it in my collection! :D

Just so that you know, it's extremely well looked after, so it should keep on going as long as I'm alive as I won't sell it.

BTW, it's great to see that you're also into fine time pieces! :D


great to hear that it still serves a purpose and makes you happy. small world, too! :)


Return to “Apple”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest