Hackintosh Snow Leopard + iboot, intel dp43tf

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
guardian452
Donor
Donor

Hackintosh Snow Leopard + iboot, intel dp43tf

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:45 am

I have my beloved PC:

intel dp43tf
celeron e1400 (c2d)
4gb ddr2
geforce 9400 1gb
apple cinema display (A1081)
creative sound blaster audigy (PCI)
1TB Sata disk (Hitachi HDT721010SLA360) on slot 0
sata DVD burner on slot 3

I also have a 10.6.3 Retail DVD and iboot (both v.2 and v.3 from tonymacx86.com). I've also tried the current version of chameleon (which I used on my thinkpad x40 and 10.5.8 with fabulous success). No luck.

I have set the BIOS to ACHI mode and made sure HPET was on (all other settings are at default). I even also tried updating the bios to the latest version.

So, here is what happens: the installation works fine, everything is recognized by default (except for the sound cards, both the audigy and the onboard; I am not concerned about as I can set it up later or use a focusrite saffire for the time being). I format the disk into two partitions, first 120gb and second is the remainder of the disk (with GUID partition table). Install onto first partition. When I reboot after the installation, the iboot CD does not find the new installation. iboot legacy, iboot v.3, chameleon, all do the exact same thing. They all see the install when set to IDE mode but obviously OSX isn't going to like that.

If I set SATA mode from ACHI back to IDE, iboot sees the install. But the new install does not boot up because IDE disks are unsupported. (Yes, I've pressed f10 to re-search for things to boot from)

I can't help but get the feeling that what I'm doing wrong is something blindingly simple, because everything else works so well.

Installer system profiler (for giggles):
Puyol System Profiler.spx.xml
(601.77 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
(in the profiler it says I have ATAPI DVD drives, but I went out and got a SATA DVD drive thinking that might fix the problem... no difference in behaviour.

zmttoxics

Re: Hackintosh Snow Leopard + iboot, intel dp43tf

Unread postby zmttoxics » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:20 pm

I think what you might want to do is grab the lion or mountain lion dmg files and then the Multibeast utility and build a usb stick with what you need. Booting with the -f -v -x options usually gets you a little further too (safe graphics, force driver load, verbose).
Stuff.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:40 am

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I prefer 10.6 to Lion ("evaluated" for a few months) or ML (barely lasted a week)

I can't boot into the install to run multibeast. Everything runs perfectly swimmingly fine until step 17, here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

Which is where the whole operation falls flat on it's face: the new install doesn't show up in iboot. Can't figure out how, trying all the hotkeys and everything else. If I set AHCI (ACHI?? whatever) back to IDE mode, the install magically appears, but the install conks out after a few minutes with a kernel panic "still waiting for root device..." repeated ad infiniuum. Which is fine with me, because officially, IDE mode disks are not supported. Only AHCI.

Last nite, I had a lightbulb moment. Put the disk in a USB dock and run the chimera installer on a real mac. This didn't work either. I found out that there is a similar bootloader installer for windows, I'll try that tonight but I don't hold much faith anymore.

I'm guessing there is something messed up on the disk... maybe MBR? I deleted the second partition with diskutility to no avail. I'm halfway to getting another disk and trying that, and halfway to getting my parents a new machine so I can get my mini back. Or another mac.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:42 am

After trying another disk (Intel SSD 330 series) I can conclude it is not the disk firmware.

My hackintosh woes have been solved by ordering a mac pro. :mrgreen:

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Which model? After thinking I'd overcome my spendthrift tendencies, I spotted an early 2008 w/ no bids and only a couple hours left on eBay... :oops:
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:33 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370713949084

I was after a 2009 model but was outbid so with my luck it is best to stick with BIN... this is a 2006, a couple hundred less but still plenty sufficient for my needs. I don't mind the uprated ram (10gb) and graphics (radeon 5750). And free shipping! The airport is also a nice touch.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:27 am

If you have a 2006 Mac Pro and you want to run Mountain Lion on it, you still have to hackintosh it.

Oh, the irony :mrgreen:
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:58 am

I'm still planning to run snow leopard, however it comes with lion already installed. I don't have a problem with lion but we'll see what it ultimately ends up with.

My Snow Leopard DVD is version 10.6.3 and I'm not sure it will support the Radeon. I suppose the solution is to install and boot in safe mode (hold down shift key) to update to 10.6.8 ?

I also use Irix 6.5.22 and Windows XP, my ego does not need the latest and greatest mountain lion software to be happy. In fact, 10.8 was quite buggy on my macbook air: sleep would kill the battery <10 hours, frequent lockups and panics, lost connection to AEBS disk, even itunes stuttered when playing music, just nasty all the way around; I dropped back to 10.6.8 on my air as well.

But, point well taken, this machine has been long obsoleted. Caveat Emptor. Was even considering a powermac G5 :D

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Looks like the price only reflects the extra RAM, so nice catch with the 5750! Prices for the 2009's seem to hover around USD 1,200+ - I'd need to believe I'll do something with the machine that makes money at that point... :-|

With the 2008 I'll have an interesting time figuring out how to upgrade the 2600XT on a shoestring - mostly for the challenge, after all I've been getting by with Intel GMA3100 all this time in the MacBook. :D
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:20 am

A couple of people have been asking on irc what on earth one would do with such a "powerhouse" machine. Hopefully, despite being 6 years old, I guess that means it should be pretty quick!

I spend a lot of time in aperture, and with my new camera and the fact that I'm taking more shots than ever before, it is rather sluggish on the little mac air. In addition, I have been spending a lot of time processing video in imovie lately, would like to get fcpx running properly as well but I've decided it's too heavy for the little guy. The mac air is still a famously fabulous little netbook, but at the end of the day it is still a netbook, unlike the more fully-featured thinkpad x-series it replaced, which was wickedly fast in it's day despite similar size (with a price tag to match :shock: ). In the air's defence, it runs rings around my desktop.

I would also like to consolidate my nas (aebs) and handfull of other external USB disks into a single box, which was the reason for choosing an older mac pro over a newer mac mini.

Perhaps understanding why I chose the machine I did will help with your own purchase. Unless you've already bought yours, in which case this is just a mindless dick-waving contest :P

Even with a workload like this, the air remains snappy and responsive; but this job will take almost 2 hours to finish. Snow Leopard has never crashed with heavy work even on this knocked-about portable. Thumbs-up in my book. Reminds me of my good old Octane <3 :Octane: I think having swap on a wicked-fast SSD makes up for the limited RAM.
Screen shot 2012-12-22 at 10.09.26 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-12-22 at 10.09.13 AM.png

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:40 am

Oh Boy! It just showed up! And it's MUCH BETTER than I was expecting!

*The graphics is actually a Radeon 5770 1gb, not 5750. It is an official apple graphic card.
*The memory spec consists of 4x2gb and 2x1gb, and it is all official apple parts.
*The outside of the case looks very nice except for one small dent and some residue from an asset tag on the front.
*There are two disks installed, 250gb+160gb.
*The keyboard and mouse included is a white apple wireless keyboard (white/clear plastic, feels quite nice), and mighty mouse. I was expecting bargain-basement crap that would be thrown out with the box.
Snow Leopard installed and updated without a hitch. Might try out a newer OSX in virtualbox for the "lulz".
It is *quiet*. Our central heating doesn't make much noise but I still can't hear this machine over it.

I guess somebody at that ebay reseller was feeling generous this christmas :D

So... merry christmas everybody!

fu

Unread postby fu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:16 am

x-mas boon, congrats!

now you can let that horse do the dirty job while you're out swinging with your girl :)

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:02 am

guardian452 wrote:Oh Boy! It just showed up! And it's MUCH BETTER than I was expecting!

Result!

Yeah, uhm, I was confessing to having won that auction I mentioned seeing... :oops: My MacPro arrived late Friday - cloned the MacBook's disk overnight, then pushed stuff around in the office to make room for the tower. Heading out of town for a few days, so not much more than a first impression until next week.

Mine came exactly as described. :( (just kidding) Fortunately most of the marks on the case in the auction photos are streaks from poor cleaning and tape/sticker residue. The machine is stupidly quiet when running - certainly can't hear it over the PC next to it, even with the side panel off. Delightfully solid object.

I have a few Woodcrest -> Harpertown systems, and they still pack a pretty good punch for the money. Unless you need the 800MHz parts, the FB-DIMMs are priced pretty reasonably. ISTR recondas was looking at swapping the heat sinks from official Apple DIMMs to 3rd party parts - I spotted these add-on heat sinks for $20/pair in case it comes up.

If you find you want to speed things up even more, look around for some X5355 quad core CPUs @ $40-50. Same clock speed as you've got now but twice the cores, might be worth the effort involved... Worked a treat in an HP DL140. There are some games you can play with BSEL mods using parts sold for the 1066MHz bus, but at this point the difference in cost probably isn't worth the hassle.

fu

Unread postby fu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:23 am

congrats smj, it's raining MPs

this thread reminds me of sky's mac path in reverse, he was so happy with his hack he bought real macs

smj wrote:look around for some X5355 quad core CPUs @ $40-50. Same clock speed as you've got now but twice the cores, might be worth the effort involved...

i think i've read about this before, is it a matter of swapping cpus? or does it involve soldering irons and further software hacks?

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:46 am

fu wrote:this thread reminds me of sky's mac path in reverse, he was so happy with his hack he bought real macs
Well my path with modern (post-68k) Macs began with inheriting a friend's "Lombard" Powerbook G3 upon his death in 2004. That led to a G4 Cube that got upgraded with a 1.8GHz CPU and reflashed Radeon 9800, then a couple TiBooks, and finally a black Penryn MacBook...

fu wrote:i think i've read about this before, is it a matter of swapping cpus? or does it involve soldering irons and further software hacks?
I believe there would be no software mods, let alone soldering irons - though physically removing heatsink assemblies may be challenging, some gripes about some screws on the memory cages being tough to remove. People report successful swaps on their MacPro 1,1 without a firmware update where the CPUs were not properly labeled in About This Mac, but there's a thread on putting 2,1 firmware on 1,1 machines that should cause them to be properly recognized/reported.

It's Apple, so of course you need a very long screwdriver. :lol: Looks like the SLAEG / G0 stepping X5355's feature 50% less power/heat at idle, so might be worth looking for those specific CPUs - otherwise people reported having to raise their base fan speeds to keep the temps at the same level as pre-upgrade.

Linkage:
Upgrade thread on Apple support forums
Upgrade trade-offs reviewed, e.g. quad-core CPU vs. SSD, etc
A photog's tale of upgrade
Discussion of CPU steppings and idle power draw
Upgrade procedure via static pages, circa 2007
Check this reference for proper thermal compound application

Video of procedure, part 1
Video of procedure, part 2

Return to “Apple”