Adobe Illustrator fonts

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
User avatar
geo
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:07 am
Location: Nagano-ken, Shiojiri-shi, Japan

Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby geo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi!

Maybe a stupid question. i got a AI file made from a Mac using AI CS5. My PC only have AI 10. Then i ask the maker to save it for AI 10 so that i can open it with no issues.

When opening, some warnings about fonts not found and the outcome is not as expected. He provided me the fonts from his Mac but is it possible to use it on my PC?

My question then is, what should i do on my PC to be able to open the AI created under a Mac with no warning and errors?
Also, anyone here using Eurostile Extended #2? is it possible to download a free OTF or TTF for this?
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein

User avatar
fu
Posts: 1119
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:39 am
Location: constant traveler [nyc/london/berlin]
Contact:

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby fu » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 am

oh no geo, i've had a whole thread discussing illustrator weirdness with hamei and a few other nekochanners a while ago :P

if the fonts are truetype/opentype, then you just install them on your pc. i've done this a couple of times but can't recall the exact location on a windows machine (there should be a "fonts" folder somewhere). go back to illy, re-open the file and you should be good to go (check for import options when opening, iirc you get a dialog box when opening files from different versions of illustrator).

User avatar
ItsMeOnly
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:56 pm
Location: Warszawa, Poland
Contact:

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby ItsMeOnly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:30 pm

fu wrote:there should be a "fonts" folder somewhere). go back to illy, re-open the file and you should be good to go (check for import options when opening

%windir%\fonts

Usually when you copy the fonts to that dir with Windows Explorer they'll be automatically registered, if you use any other program however, you may need to force rebuilding the font cache.
:Indy: :O2:
Sun IPX, Mac 630, G4 Digital Audio, Amiga 1200T, HP Envizex a, A180, B132L.

Stoo
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:13 am

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby Stoo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:03 pm

I think CS5 re-scans the font directory if you add a new font - I know CS6 does on windows at work. As fu mentioned, if it's opentype/truetype they'll work fine, I can't remember if type 1 fonts need converting or not though.
:Octane2: Octane2 Dual R14K 600Mhz, 4GB RAM, VPro V12, DCD, PCI Card Cage, GBit Ethernet
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2 R10K 195MHz, 1GB RAM, Maximum Impact, I2V
The boxen are breeding... help!

Stoo
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:13 am

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby Stoo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:04 pm

:Octane2: Octane2 Dual R14K 600Mhz, 4GB RAM, VPro V12, DCD, PCI Card Cage, GBit Ethernet
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2 R10K 195MHz, 1GB RAM, Maximum Impact, I2V
The boxen are breeding... help!

User avatar
geo
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:07 am
Location: Nagano-ken, Shiojiri-shi, Japan

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby geo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:50 pm

morning guys!

fu wrote:oh no geo, i've had a whole thread discussing illustrator weirdness with hamei and a few other nekochanners a while ago :P
oh! hehe tried to find that yesterday but haven't found it but its ok :)

fu wrote:if the fonts are truetype/opentype, then you just install them on your pc. i've done this a couple of times but can't recall the exact location on a windows machine (there should be a "fonts" folder somewhere). go back to illy, re-open the file and you should be good to go (check for import options when opening, iirc you get a dialog box when opening files from different versions of illustrator).
hmm actually i asked him for that type of fonts, but what he send was a zip containing some folders (_MACOSX, ..) and files under Eurostile are ._Eurostile2, .EurostileExtTwo... i'm not sure how he pulled this off from his Mac, but is it possible to export those fonts to OTF or TTF?


Stoo wrote:%windir%\fonts

Usually when you copy the fonts to that dir with Windows Explorer they'll be automatically registered, if you use any other program however, you may need to force rebuilding the font cache.
thanks IMO! but still need to find the OTF or TTF file for this

Stoo wrote:I think CS5 re-scans the font directory if you add a new font - I know CS6 does on windows at work. As fu mentioned, if it's opentype/truetype they'll work fine, I can't remember if type 1 fonts need converting or not though.
hi stoo! ok thanks, will try that as soon as i can get the OTF/TTF file for this font

Stoo wrote:Or you could just download it..

http://www.fontpalace.com/font-download ... nded+%232/
wow! thanks stoo!! i almost jump for joy but geez cannot open this site here in my side :( shows link is broken but i guess great wall doesn't like this link, can you help me download this for me and post it here? really will be life saver :)
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein

User avatar
fu
Posts: 1119
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:39 am
Location: constant traveler [nyc/london/berlin]
Contact:

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby fu » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 pm

morning geo

funny, looks like the guy used some old mac zipper that gave you the _blues. iirc 7zip on windows can deal with this kind of muckup.

grab it, and you might also like a font manager for windows.

(zip of the ttf font. all free, we're not breaking anything)
Attachments
EuExt#2.zip
(32.4 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

User avatar
geo
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:07 am
Location: Nagano-ken, Shiojiri-shi, Japan

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby geo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 pm

fu wrote:funny, looks like the guy used some old mac zipper that gave you the _blues. iirc 7zip on windows can deal with this kind of muckup.
ah i see, ok now downloading the 7-zip and see if some changes, thanks fu!!

fu wrote:grab it, and you might also like a font manager for windows.
ok will check this out later thanks!

fu wrote:(zip of the ttf font. all free, we're not breaking anything)
waaah!! thanks fu!! you save my day!! ok will try this out and report soon, really 2x thanks! :)
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein

User avatar
geo
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:07 am
Location: Nagano-ken, Shiojiri-shi, Japan

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby geo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:10 am

update:

7-zip: still did extract the same way as winrar did, its ok ;)

ttf font file: copied to c:\\windows\fonts\
then
eureka.PNG


it works!! thanks so much again fu! and everyone here :) geez what can i do without nekochan.. :)
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein

User avatar
theinonen
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Finland

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby theinonen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:46 am

Why not just convert the text to shapes and no need to go hunting down any fonts?

User avatar
geo
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:07 am
Location: Nagano-ken, Shiojiri-shi, Japan

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby geo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:12 am

theinonen wrote:Why not just convert the text to shapes and no need to go hunting down any fonts?
hi theinonen! hmm sorry actually i'm not a good AI user and i only use AI if i make the Operation Flow for our customer. not sure what you mean by text to shape but does it sound time consuming? you mean ill manually draw using vectors those fonts? hehe i think it will take me months to do that hehe but anyway it will be a good add on skill for me :) but unfortunately i still don't have the luxury of time to learn this :( na ja maybe someday will do ;)

i wonder if vector drawing is possible on embedded systems?
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein

User avatar
fu
Posts: 1119
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:39 am
Location: constant traveler [nyc/london/berlin]
Contact:

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby fu » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:08 am

it's no big deal to convert text to shape(s) but it's something that gets done when all design/layout is finished and it's heading for print. and as thein said it saves the headache of missing fonts.

i guess that one guy designed something and sent the file to geo for edit/checks. anyway, glad you sorted it out geo

User avatar
theinonen
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Finland

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby theinonen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 am

I have never used Illustrator myself, but would it also be possible to save the file as PDF and embed the fonts in the file. PDF could be opened with many different programs, so is good format for interoperability.


I am drawing with Artworks 2 / ProCAD+ on RISC OS, and is it works with so little resources it almost qualifies drawing vectors with embedded system.

User avatar
hamei
Posts: 10435
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: over the rainbow

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby hamei » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:04 am

theinonen wrote:I have never used Illustrator myself, but would it also be possible to save the file as PDF and embed the fonts in the file. PDF could be opened with many different programs, so is good format for interoperability.

Fonts are a bear, at least for us. Many (most ?) people in the west don't have chinese-japanese-korean fonts installed. If you embed them in the pdf then the pdf grows to monumental size, not so good for email. Same thing if you use some abnormal fonts for artistic purposes.

We've taken to saving the document as a tif, then converting that to pdf. It's not as small that way as if the other person has the fonts but it's way smaller than embedding the font in the pdf. And you can be pretty certain that the recipient won't open their pdf to see a row of little empty boxes :D

User avatar
geo
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:07 am
Location: Nagano-ken, Shiojiri-shi, Japan

Re: Adobe Illustrator fonts

Unread postby geo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:12 pm

fu wrote:glad you sorted it out geo
thanks fu!!

theinonen wrote:I am drawing with Artworks 2 / ProCAD+ on RISC OS, and is it works with so little resources it almost qualifies drawing vectors with embedded system.
hmmm i see.. so do you think its possible to draw fonts using vectors on smaller systems like ARM MCU's? or lets say MSP430? or worst is 8bit MCU's? if so, this will be a great help on saving ROM space esp with fonts with different sizes. but i think algo for printing fonts is very CPU intensive for the MCU right?
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein


Return to “Apple”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest