Apple sucks the big ten inch

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
guardian452
Donor
Donor

Re: Apple sucks the big ten inch

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:46 am

I dunno, I like my iphone (zee 4s model, herr docktor), but I only use it as a phone, email, sms, music player, and some games... As an attempt to save face, I keep it in a rubberized case so nobody can actually tell what kind of phone it is. My father-in-law has a samsung and even the on-screen software looks very similar. So I don't see what makes it "fashionably" much different from other touchy-feely phones.

That being said, the iphone has this huuuuuuuge installed base of ipod "accessories" (car, hi-fi, clothes, wireless headphones, shoes, ant or zigbee transceivers, armbands and docks and boomboxes and etc) that people like me don't really want to get rid of.

But apple dumped all that anyways when they switched to the new plug so "meh". I would say I'd be happy to dump the iphone but after seeing my wife's HTC droid, a co-worker's Huawei droid, etc... I'm not so sure. The bundled PC software is crap.

So the one thing I can conclude for sure is that all this frothing-at-the-mouth rabidness to dump on a telephone handset is wasted energy. The average joe schmo like me who just wants to call his wife boss and family, and get sms messages, doesn't care about all that crap you go on about (fashion and stock market (de)valuations). Pretty much ALL cell phones here are subject to carrier lock-in so that is a non-issue. The same way it was over 10 years ago when I got my first cell phone.

Thankfully people are starting to realize this fact http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/26 ... le_status/

Samsung brought in a marketing bigwig from nike last year and rumors are speculating about making their hardware play nicely with only their other hardware, in addition to their own software and buttoned-up app store. Sounds familiar?

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:41 am

I was listening to something - a "tech" podcast I think - about how the iPhone and anything with Apple's logo prominently featured had been the darling of the fashionistas in Hong Kong and Korea for quite a while, but that the bloom was off that rose - and that as they went, much of Asia would follow. They asked somebody in Thailand about it who said, "Yeah, we pretty much do whatever Korea does."

Another point one panelist was making was that Apple is only available on something like the sixth largest mobile carrier in China - and therefore when they did complete the pending deal with China Mobile (?) there were another ~750MM potential iPhone buyers. So hamei did they release the iPhone with US-style lock-in there, or did this guy reveal a lack of knowledge about how the China mobile market works?
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:18 am

smj wrote: So hamei did they release the iPhone with US-style lock-in there, or did this guy reveal a lack of knowledge about how the China mobile market works?

I have no idea what he's trying to say. Sounds like he doesn't, either. "Available on China Mobile "? Almost any phone you buy is "available on China Mobile." (They don't have CDMA.) The "mobile market" here is just like the bread market or the sweater market or the pizza market. We go to the phone store and buy one. Nothing special about it. Stick your SIM card in it and away you go.

Oh. You guys oughta try that 'free market" thing. It's not so bad, when you actually have one :D

China Mobile will trade in your old normal SIM for the mini-SIM for a small charge, that's about the only control they have over the iPhone. They do sell them but they aren't the only ones ... but it is a limitation. Apple is stupid. If they sold through all the 2.5 million little phone stores they could sell a lot more. We have phone stores everywhere. If they'd just sell the phones like Samsung and Nokia and Motorola do, they would sell more. But noooo they have to be special. Clue for Apple guys : China Mobile is not special. China Mobile is your grandma.

I think most people do go to China Mobile for the SIM exchange since the cut-down-yourself thing is not guaranteed to work. They also have a pay-as-you-go plan like the US - I forget the name - but only a few businesses use it. There is also a not-too-ridiculous data plan that China Unicom has. The only trouble with that is China Unicom sucks.

China Mobile is not the first choice for buying an iPhone. They are about $100 cheaper in Hong Kong. You also have to be careful if you buy from unknown suppliers - could be anything inside that patented plastic rectangle with the round corners :)

design_patent.jpg
design_patent.jpg (14.69 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

One of the Assist's friends was convinced anyone could get an iPhone for $200 by going to Best Buy and saying the secret password to 'the Chinese guy." Oh-kaaaay. Kind of odd ... I can't think of anyone I know who has bought one at the Apple store. Must be somebody but ... probably they don't have any in stock. When they didn't have any to sell in the US it was because "Sales are so high we can't keep them on hand !" now that the stock has crashed $200/share, it's because "sales were disappointing." It would be really nice if these people would get their lies straight. Assist is doubly pissed now, she bought something from iStore, paid for it, then when she went to download got a message "This is not available in your country." Nice work, dickwads. Couldn't bother to mention that upfront, eh ?

It does appear that the experience of owning an iPhone is something that could limit their sales here. Chinese people gossip. A lot. Easy to scratch and rob me of $15 bucks and honey, you got youself a potential enemy. iPhone is not that great. Take away the lockin and they're going to have a rough time competing with Samsung.

Does no one else think the stock market is a total fraud when the "value" of a company can change by 800 billion dollars in three days ? This is one of the stupidest things I ever heard of. Why do people listen to that shit ? The "financial news" is about as relevant to reality as stories about Janet Jackson's tits falling out. It appears that the US has jumped the shark.

Service-wise, you have China Mobile which is the big good one - decent coverage, good quality, locations everywhere, okay prices (costs me about $15 a month). China Unicom has CDMA and a reasonable wireless data plan and maybe has coverage in a few places that China Mobile doesn't go, but no one likes them. You do China Unicom if you have no other choice. I was stuck with them when I had a Linux powered patent-infringing (round corners) Samsung i519. Our office connection was a smaller company, pretty good, and then China Unicom bought them and two days later it was shit. They are kind of like China Eastern - if it's a choice between walking and China Eastern and you only have three days, you take China Eastern. Otherwise, for distances less than 1,000 km, walk

Oh, I see the confusion. China Mobile is a service provider and they sell phones. They may provide a phone if you buy a service plan but I have never heard of anyone doing that. We ain't stupid enough for that schtick. People use them as a pre-paid service provider. You can buy a $15 card within 100 yards of almost anywhere. Scratch off the number, punch it in and you're set for another month. It's totally easy. C Mobile aren't big in retail phone sales. So equating the number of users with the number of phone sales is total ignorance.

I read that you are going to put people in prison for unlocking their own phones now. Good work ! US isn't owned by corporations, oh no ! :shock:

Girls like Korea stuff but they also like Japan stuff. And France stuff. Juicy was hot a while ago and before that Abercrummy and Footch. I would not say that Chinese people flock after anything in particular. They flock after whatever is stylish at the moment but Korea doesn't own the definition.

Did I ramble enough yet ? can try harder if it's necessary. Not sure what's wrong with my brain today, maybe the start of fireworks season :P

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:45 am

hamei wrote:Did I ramble enough yet ? can try harder if it's necessary.

Heh - you're doing fine, thanks. Confirmed what I thought might be the case, that the guy was assuming too many parallels between mobile service/companies in North America and China.

They didn't say it, but I assumed HK might set the trend for the mainland, while Korea would influence the rest of the Rim -- with a weird interference pattern sitting over Japan such that one wave from Korea they embrace, the next they skip - rinse, repeat. But I'm probably just revealing my own unfounded speculation there. ;)

Thanks again!
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:44 am

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:04 pm

guardian452 wrote:http://www.anorak.co.uk/347702/money/is-microsofts-excel-the-most-dangerous-software-in-the-world.html/

Kind of funny :D

But I don't believe for a minute that JP Morgan makes multi-billion dollar decisions based on Excel. That stinks of "plausible excuse to tell the ignorant masses."

I also have to wonder how many real Englishmen don't know the expression "stuffed shirt " ? Do they outsource that website to China ?

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:52 pm

hamei wrote:
guardian452 wrote:http://www.anorak.co.uk/347702/money/is-microsofts-excel-the-most-dangerous-software-in-the-world.html/

Kind of funny :D

But I don't believe for a minute that JP Morgan makes multi-billion dollar decisions based on Excel. That stinks of "plausible excuse to tell the ignorant masses."

I also have to wonder how many real Englishmen don't know the expression "stuffed shirt " ? Do they outsource that website to China ?

If you read through it what they're saying is "somebody got the math wrong". They then go on to claim somehow that if the bank didn't have Excel they might possibly have not made the mistake, perhaps, maybe.

Come to think of it, on second reduction they really didn't say anything. The hard facts are obvious and have been known for a long time - in that story it's "check your math and check your subordinate's math" Nothing new there. The rest is taking an example and blowing it out of proportion.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:15 am

SAQ wrote:Come to think of it, on second reduction they really didn't say anything. The hard facts are obvious and have been known for a long time - in that story it's "check your math and check your subordinate's math"

I took the story as being a bit tongue-in-cheek but maybe not.

About 'check the math', I don't believe that for a minute. They put a couple billion on red and it came up black. When they got busted they needed a cover story. Wall Street is way too far into the world of fantasy for mathematics to apply.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Well can't expect much good out of a system that's built on equal parts greed and paranoia... :cry:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:04 pm

smj wrote: Confirmed what I thought might be the case, that the guy was assuming too many parallels between mobile service/companies in North America and China.

Short story, the guy is an idiot. Or what's worse, and far too common here, making a living selling schtick to the dumb foreigners back home.

Anyhoo, here's what I did : off in the countryside for a few days. Hit Maidanglao for lunch (it is not possible to get a drink with ice in it at any Chinese establishment in winter). Walking back home, took cameraphone photos of the various telephone stores. (Many of them are closed for the holiday but normally they are open until ten. That's also why there are not 40,000 people in every photo.) Pulled the photos out of the phone with the built-in mini-SD card which the iPhone does not have, panorama-ed them. (Sorry for the size but the details might be interesting to some people ?)

China Telecom gone make Apple rich beyond belief ! You decide.

pano_1.jpg

pano_2.jpg

pano_3.jpg

pano_4.jpg

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:41 am

hamei wrote:But I don't believe for a minute that JP Morgan makes multi-billion dollar decisions based on Excel. That stinks of "plausible excuse to tell the ignorant masses."

Uhm yes, they most certainly do. Though I have no idea whether or what role any spreadsheet may have played in any specific deal in the news.

Remember that 1) a few billion isn't necessarily that big a deal for these guys, price- or position-wise; 2) they aren't using the same kind of Excel spreadsheet you or I would use to manage the household budget. There are plenty of people at VLFIs* who need 64-bit Excel on 64-bit Windows, and have for years. If they think they can make money pricing something on an absurdly large/complex spreadsheet, they'll do it. If it means they can act independently instead of being reliant on some programmers to make changes that take days/weeks/months to code/test/deploy, they won't even waste a nanosecond thinking about it.

* Very Large Financial Institutions

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:47 pm

smj wrote:Uhm yes, they most certainly do. Though I have no idea whether or what role any spreadsheet may have played...

Thanks so much, sm. Another myth down the drain. I thought that the stinking thieving banksters at least had sophisticated tools to accomplish their dirty work.

Somehow it's even worse knowing that, for instance, JP Morgan robs the middle class blind with all the profits coming from government subsidies, aka taxpayer theft, by using chicken-shit tools anyone can buy for a buck at the corner software stand ... this has got to be the biggest con game in history.

... If they think they can make money ...

They don't make money. They are all broke, insolvent, penniless. They conned / scared the US government into paying for all their gambling losses when their retarded Ponzi scheme and the FDIC frauds blew up. They are nothing but criminals. Every single penny of "profit" they make is actually a penny stolen from the middle class, rerouted into their vaults in the Bahamas.

And they have not been stopped. Next time will be even worse : bankers are thieves. Watch and see.

What do you think will happen if the 99% ever wake up ?

Return to “Apple”