Apple sucks the big ten inch

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

Apple sucks the big ten inch

Unread postby hamei » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:02 pm

So a friend of a friend needed a new phone, may as well get an iPhone. Coincidentally, the i-5 just came out. Cool.

What a stupid fiasco. Why do you people up up with this horseshit ? Does anyone think that Apple has no idea how many phones they will probably sell ? They didn't have enough time to prepare ? They can't afford to stock product ? They are too fucking stupid to manage a retail operation ?

Or they are playing all you fish for fools ?

Choose one.

I wouldn't buy a doghouse from those jerks, just on general principles. Someone needs to slap those assbreaths. Hard.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Re: Apple sucks the big ten inch

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:49 am

I'm all fine n' dandy with them coming out with a new model... 20% lighter and slimmer, faster processor, slightly bigger screen, whatever. Stuff to be expected. But how on earth can they call this thing the second coming of Jesus when there isn't a single thing it does, that the old model can't do?

What a stupid fiasco. Why do you people up up with this horseshit ? Does anyone think that Apple has no idea how many phones they will probably sell ? They didn't have enough time to prepare ? They can't afford to stock product ? They are too fucking stupid to manage a retail operation ?
Apple knows exactly what they are doing, and they do it very well. This is how they end up with all the money in the world.

Although I'm starting to figure out what these .panic.plist files mean on my 4S, so hopefully I can get it to stop crashing soon (not jailbroken, but with developer profiles; for my footstrike datalogger project) Everything is pointing to skype.app, I deleted that and the phone has been working for almost 48 hours now... what a bunch of plonkers.

zmttoxics

Unread postby zmttoxics » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:09 am

Provider let me reserve one, it came in yesterday. Drove over, picked it up, no troubles. Only pain is getting everything backed up and transferred over (iTunes LOVES to delete shit on me, arg.).

First impressions? LTE coverage from Rogers in Ottawa sucks. Other than that, pretty sweet phone.
Stuff.

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:47 am

She just loves / my big ten inch / record of her favourite blues!~~ - Aerosmith

I'm done with the Apple treadmill. My Galaxy Nexus does what I need.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

dclough

Unread postby dclough » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:56 am

If you're going to hate Apple for that reason alone I also suggest that you hate Nintendo for the Wii.

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:42 am

dclough wrote:If you're going to hate Apple for that reason alone I also suggest that you hate Nintendo for the Wii.

There are couple more much bigger reasons also to hate Apple.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:52 am

dclough wrote:If you're going to hate Apple for that reason

You mean, dislike Apple for treating their customers like dirt so they can project a phony image of themselves ? Yes. This is despicable behavior. What a bunch of jerks. If I hadn't promised to buy one they could kiss my rosy red ass.

dclough

Unread postby dclough » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Apple has a track record of valuing their customers and the customer experience, a hell of a lot more than Microsoft or HP or even SGI. If you feel like you were "treated like dirt" by an Apple employee, you should tell somebody. tcook@apple.com is a good place to start. I've had a few phone calls and some corporate favors thrown my way in the past because I wrote to sjobs@apple.com to complain about something.

How did Apple treat you like dirt?

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:22 pm

False scarcity has been a recognized marketing maneuver for a while.

My big beef with Apple is that they're capricious. Almost all other manufacturers commit to supporting a product for a set amount of time, whereas for Apple it gets dropped when it isn't cool any more (and OS updates seem to stop after one year, which is well behind the accepted standards (usually 5 years)). I understand that IBM probably required royalty payments for Rosetta/QuickTransit, but why not keep it around as an extra cost option for people who need to run PPC apps? MS kept around XP mode (as an "extra cost option" so to speak).

Also - MS may be a scumbag as far as business goes, but they do have a pretty good in-kind donation program for nonprofits.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:13 am

dclough wrote:Apple has a track record of valuing their customers and the customer experience ...

If you consider it a "good customer experience" to have some twelve year old gushing at you about how sales have "exceeded expectations" rather than having a goddamned product in stock to sell then I'll agree. Otherwise, h o r s e s h i t.

How did Apple treat you like dirt?

This entire phony shortage is treating ALL their customers like dirt. It's a fucking telephone, not the keys to the Kingdom of God. They have the cash to buy stock. Put them on the shelves and quit screwing with people. "Oh la la ! It's an iPhone ! it will make your tits bigger and your dick harder ! Trust us !" What a pile of crap.

And the "just works" Apple os, with the "just works" Apple browser on the "just works" Apple website for preordering their "just works" phone, doesn't. It goes into an infinite loop.

As I said, if I hadn't made a promise, Apple could take their pretentious phony crap and jam it up their rose-filled asses.

Pontus

Unread postby Pontus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:57 am

Say hamei, have you heard of this project: http://longnow.org/clock/

I gave me some confidence in humanity back and for whatever reason I thought of you.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :320: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

zmttoxics

Unread postby zmttoxics » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:06 pm

Seriously... I pre-ordered my phone and got it not 2 days after release. I didn't even have to wake up early for it. Maybe things are different in China?
Stuff.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:26 am

zmttoxics wrote: Maybe things are different in China?

Maybe things are different in Corte Madera. Go ahead and buy an iPhone 5. I dare you.

Oh sure, they'll hand you the indentured servant contract quicker'n mephistopheles can light a fire but buy one ? Dream on.

Went in Monday, little blue dwarf gives us the spiel about how to do it. Went home, didn't work. Apple browser, Apple website, Apple product, no dice. Looped out. Had to upgrade the operating system to get a button in a browser to function, man that is high-tech ! "It just works" yeah right. Well, he said the store gets a few extra daily to sell direct, no dice on that either. Thursday we dragged in the Macbook, found the same little misbegotten offspring of a troll and a blue ogre, asked him politely to show us how. He couldn't. "They must have changed the website."

Right.

Can we spell "imbeciles", children ? I knew we could. I was never an anti-Apple zealot but treating customers like shit doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

btw, there is a difference between a branded sheep and a customer.

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:34 am

zmttoxics wrote:Seriously... I pre-ordered my phone and got it not 2 days after release. I didn't even have to wake up early for it. Maybe things are different in China?

Same here. Mine came Tuesday.

And to celebrate my new apple product, I'm having another dumpster save-a-sale-a-thon!

http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16726979
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:09 pm

skywriter wrote:
zmttoxics wrote:Seriously... I pre-ordered my phone and got it not 2 days after release. I didn't even have to wake up early for it. Maybe things are different in China?

Same here. Mine came Tuesday.

A little update, especially since I read that Apple is "targetting China as their next big market ! Hurrah ! Hooray ! O frabjous day, tralee, tra-lay !"

The Assist, being a girl, had to have the next glorious new accessory, and she put off buying a new phone all through the iPhone 4 years, since there really wasn't much there.

So she was stuck dealing with face. Even though the wunderkids at Apple decreed the iPhone 5 would be impossible to get since with their brilliant planning and execution they didn't have enough to sell, she eventually got one in Hong Kong.

Result : the size is good, it fits a girl's hands better. The os is the same as everyone else, nothing so great about it. If all your friends also have i-whatevers, there are some apps that make playtime fun ... for a while. The Group of Three is already bored with facetime. Doing everything through iTunes sucks. No USB card for transferring photos sucks. Having to mess around with a non-standard SIM card was not fun - and pointless. The "locked to a carrier" thing is flat-out not going to fly here. Let me be blunt : you people are idiots. You pay three times what it really costs to get a "free" phone.

The bad part for Apple : the killer is going to be that the consensus of opinion in China is that the iPhone 5 is junk. It gets scratches and dings at the drop of a hat. People here actually use their phones and they are not happy when the phones look like shit through normal daily use. Less than a month old and the Assist's "new" iPhone has several dings, nicks, and scratches.

She won't buy another one.

Another stock scam. Apple tells the US stock market that they'll be "going into China in a big way !! Next big market, we'll be rich ! and famous !" Stock zoooms up, Tim Cook cashes in, Timmy et al pick up a few million, the idiot American public is five bucks each poorer.

I have to say, you guys really are morons. And then you let these dickwads put your retirement money into the stock market .. why not just take it to Monte Carlo and put it all on red ?

Back to the phone's market potential :

When the product comes out and people can't buy them, drop five points.

When the 'features" are not compelling, drop five points.

When the company is from the US with Hillary Clinton blathering on and on about how evil China is while Samsung keeps its fat fucking trap shut, drop ten points.

When the products don't hold up in a society where appearances are very important, drop ten points. Gossip is THE rule of the day here, and the iPhone is getting nothing but bad reviews from real users. The Assist won't buy another one. The Samsung she bought for her mom is functionally comparable in every way yet it is also sturdy.

I don't see them doing very well in China. Our phone market is open and free, not tethered to "providers" who control your every move. People choose the product that works well. The iPhone 5 is second-rate. There will be a surge of interest since it's New ! New ! New ! but after a while that wears off. In a truly free phone market, Apple is downscale "junk" (and that's a quote from the Assistant, who has no slashdot hi-tech axe to grind.)

In the real world, there's a lot more assistants than there are slash-dotters. They will sell some but long-term they aren't going to be much competition for real players, like Samsung.

Conclusion : buy stock now while it's cheap. Apple will soon have to make a few announcements of grand and glorious new products, market share, 600 new stores in the biggest phone market in the world, etc etc. Stock will zoom up as the marks rush to buy. Sell at that point, before reality strikes.

Repeat, repeat, and you, too, can become a smart investor ! job creator ! hi-tech knowledge worker ! Master of the Universe ! con artist, shyster, thief, crook, swindler, jerk, asshole, worthless scumbag ...

Return to “Apple”