Steve Jobs dead.

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
VenomousPinecone

Re: Steve Jobs dead.

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:08 pm

His talks and speeches are legendary. Only recently did I have to start using a Mac for work, and I really appreciate all the attention to industrial design; something I think all of us here have a bit of passion for.

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Oskar45 wrote:Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6 ... ata_player

He'd more achieved in his too short a life than all Nekochaners together up to now...

speak for yourself :-)
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:27 am

Umm, this won't be popular but imnsho, recently Mr Jobs has been doing a good job of representing the devil. Most everything he has been (very) successfully peddling is aimed at turning computing more into a consumption device and less into a tool. Computers aside, all the new products that have been making Apple money hand over fist are the iPod, iPad, iPhone, iTunes and the app store ... all of which are pretty much aimed at making the user into a mindless consuming zombie. The fact that they are very pretty ... well, nobody would fall for a rotten wormy old Apple, would they ?

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:40 am

I think hamei has a point, but I think that was a trend that was going to happen, with or without Jobs. For better or worse, innovation, at least the type that hobbyists can reasonably get their hands on, has been moving up the stack from hardware to ever more abstract layers of software. Implicit in a lot of what Apple has been doing is, I think, an assumption that we are heading towards Star Trek-style computing, where all the information we want to access and manipulate is in the cloud somewhere, and the specific device that we use as a portal to the data is almost arbitrary. Unless you're a chip designer or a cloud data center engineer, the action is in instant-on apps on instant-on devices, and certainly not in things like customizing start-up scripts to shave ten seconds off a boot process or modding a machine to get an extra 5% of performance out of it, like it was in the "good old days". (That's not to say that this model is perfect; it's flaws regarding points of failure, security, etc. can be pretty frightening.)

The Star Trek universe ran iOS v67 and higher.

It's the same thing with cars. I used to enjoy tearing apart my 1970 Chevy's engine in the driveway on the weekends to try to eke out a mild performance improvement or to stave off a visit to the auto repair shop. Pretty much the only maintenance I'm qualified to perform on my current vehicle is topping off the windshield washer fluid. Despite that loss, I'm almost certain to get three times the reliable miles out of the new car than the old Chevy, and the new car is powerful enough that I wouldn't even notice a 5% performance improvement in anything it does.

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:52 pm

hamei wrote: all of which are pretty much aimed at making the user into a mindless consuming zombie.

99.9999% of all technology users clearly are only capable of mindless consuming. this was the guaranteed output of the microsoft and linux generation. so, do I mind benefiting from a high quality product that targets this market, by delivering a product, that requires very little attention to operate in a superior way, rather than it's predecessors? of course not; all those so called 'features' of windows, android, and linux FOSS environments merely produce busy work for people enthralled by the 'means' rather than the 'ends'.

DECUS Member 368596

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:58 pm

hamei wrote:Umm, this won't be popular but imnsho, recently Mr Jobs has been doing a good job of representing the devil. Most everything he has been (very) successfully peddling is aimed at turning computing more into a consumption device and less into a tool.

Uh, tools are consumer devices. All of them are, at some level, objects to be purchased or acquired and then used. Yeah. I'm also not very sorry to use things which help me get stuff done, thereby supporting the devil. (But then, I'm an atheist.)

hamei wrote:Computers aside, all the new products that have been making Apple money hand over fist are the iPod, iPad, iPhone, iTunes and the app store ... all of which are pretty much aimed at making the user into a mindless consuming zombie. The fact that they are very pretty ... well, nobody would fall for a rotten wormy old Apple, would they ?

I take it you've never tried any of the painting apps available for the iPad or the iPhone, then. You should totally do that, or Google a few artists who have.

But yes, please do call us mindless consuming zombies. That will win us all over, instead of annoy us because you obviously know what we all do well enough to characterize us in negative terms which could only be formed from a political viewpoint instead of an informed one.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Geek concerns aside, dying of pancreatic cancer is a horrible fate.

In the end, Steve Jobs ended up becoming the computing big brother he warned people about with that expensive TV ad in 1984. But perhaps that matters little, some people like the products of his company, and they decide Apple gets to be the one who parts them from their hard earned money.

As I said somewhere else, don't hate the player, hate the game... etc, etc.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:25 pm

apple gets my money since i get my valuable time back from the shoddy, overly complicated, rapidly changing pretzel logic of their competitors. i am more than equitably compensated.

and Steve gets my well earned thanks. their products were not always like this, but for now; they are the best.

DECUS Member 368596

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:17 am

R-ten-K wrote:[...] some people like the products of his company, and they decide Apple gets to be the one who parts them from their hard earned money.
And what alternatives do you recommend?
Everyone loves a lover. Romeo loves Juliet. Therefore, Trump loves Putin.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:34 am

Oskar45 wrote:
R-ten-K wrote:[...] some people like the products of his company, and they decide Apple gets to be the one who parts them from their hard earned money.
And what alternatives do you recommend?

For pretty much every product apple sells there are alternatives. So I don't know what to recommend, since I have no clue what your requirements are.

I personally am not a big fan of walled gardens, but my wife loves her iOS devices. For tastes, there are colors...
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:26 am

R-ten-K wrote:For pretty much every product apple sells there are alternatives.
Ok, what alternatives would you specifically recommend instead of any MacBook[Pro|Air]? I haven't bought anything yet but the learned opinion of a guru like you is most welcome to help me save money [and later troubles as well].
Everyone loves a lover. Romeo loves Juliet. Therefore, Trump loves Putin.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:46 am

There is a huge matrix of products and options in the marketplace. Just the MacBoo Pro vs Air are two very different product categories, for example.

It all depends on what you're looking for performance-wise, your own personal tastes to aesthetics/ergonomics, price range, battery options, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I have both a Macbook Air and a Thinkpad, neither of them are perfect, but they both get the job/tasks I need them for done.

andyjpb

Unread postby andyjpb » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:45 am

Hi,

R-ten-K wrote:I have both a Macbook Air and a Thinkpad, neither of them are perfect, but they both get the job/tasks I need them for done.

I've been pleased with both my Thinkpad X200 and PowerBook G4 12" before it.

My requirements center around small, light and keyboard quality.

Regards,
@ndy

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:58 am

I agree. Computer-driven devices have lost the "fringe" niche they once owned. They are like a toaster or VCR. Easy to use. Good an doing certain tasks, but less programmable without specialized tools---not really for "computing" in the sense of number crunching for most folks.

For a short while (1990-2010?), everybody wanted/needed faster processors/graphics and engineers and scientists benefited from the consumer-driven demand. It may be that CPU's are getting close to "fast enough" for the casual consumer (i.e. real-time video rates) although there probably is some more room for "smaller" and "prettier".

Unfortunately as number crunchers, CPUs/GPUs are still at least two-three orders of magnitude below for what is needed engineering simulation. If scientific vs. consumer demands go off in different directions, it will be high-performance computing users that will be left hurting for funds.

Ironically, whatever small HPC market that remains could use probably a company like what SGI once was.

Back on topic. I think we all owe Steve Jobs a big thank you for helping making computers sexier, more powerful, smaller and easier to use. He was the enabler that got the new technologies into all our hands. Forget the iPhone, think about:
- the 1st personal computer (Apple ][)
- the 1st mouse on a PC
- the 1st GUI on a PC
- the 1st laser printer on a PC
- the 1st MS Office (Word for Mac in 1984, six years before Windows)
- the 1st compositing desktop (OS X)
- the 1st on-line music store

Not to mention a zealous love of miniaturization and elegance of design.

I don't know if we all realize how much we will miss his relentless drive in the market, even if us "purist of computing" feel as though something special and secret was lost when Jobs brought the screaming masses to geek-sheik. Oh well, you can't have it both ways.

I also loved him as the counter-point to the heavy-handed, drab, and clumsy Microsoft-monopoly.

Now the small-minded and greedy can see how long it takes them to gnaw away at the empire Jobs built.

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:03 am

squeen wrote:- the 1st MS Office (Word for Mac in 1984, six years before Windows)

...and the same with Excel in '85 and PowerPoint in '87, though the latter was an acquisition. I was in college at the time, and it seemed like there was a cool, innovative, new software title for the mac coming out every week back then.

Return to “Apple”