WWDC, Lion (Mac OS X 10.7), etc.

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
SAQ

Re: WWDC, Lion (Mac OS X 10.7), etc.

Unread postby SAQ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:28 pm

sybrfreq wrote:
sybrfreq wrote:I got bit by the sony atrac monster back in the stone ages.

And that's why I'm a bit leery of being too cloud dependent. Between bankruptcy, buy and bury, and just plain old "we're tired of doing that/it's not making enough so we're stopping" things could get a bit ... irritating. Especially if you're depending on their middleware.

I think AAC/MP4 is probably pretty safe. It's been standardized, so once the patents run out it should be at least as common as MP3. My suspicion for the lack of use is licensing fees - everyone knows MP3, and what good would an "MP3" player be without MP3 support. MP4/AAC is another set of licenses that poeple aren't as likely to insist on.

The one that I don't understand is the minimal support of Ogg/Vorbis and FLAC outside the FOSS community. They're absolutely free standards and pretty good from what I've heard. I know MS and Apple have an interest in keeping things more proprietary, but there are a bunch of other player makers out there.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:40 pm

It's the chicken egg problem (I never like this metaphor as eggs were around in the dinosaur eras...)

Why should I buy a portable/computer/car/hifi music player that can play ogg/aac/atrac/adat if I don't have any music in that format? Why should I buy/encode/steal music in that format if I don't have any machine to play it with?

melchez

Unread postby melchez » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:48 pm

The full screen feature is pretty nice.
It not what most folks think it is like. It don't take over your current desktop or workspace but creates a new workspace when it goes full screen. Mail and Safari fits well in full screen, nothing like just expanding the window to take the whole space. A multi finger swipe on the trackpad and boom you back to your other or original workspace.
5/11/11 12:58:19 AM gfxCardStatus[268] AMD Radeon HD 6750M in use. Bummer! Less battery life for you.
5/11/11 12:58:20 AM gfxCardStatus[268] Intel HD Graphics 3000 in use. Sweet deal! More battery life.
MacBook Pro 17inch 2011
Mac Mini 2010

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:12 pm

sybrfreq wrote:It's the chicken egg problem (I never like this metaphor as eggs were around in the dinosaur eras...)

Why should I buy a portable/computer/car/hifi music player that can play ogg/aac/atrac/adat if I don't have any music in that format? Why should I buy/encode/steal music in that format if I don't have any machine to play it with?

I assume you have a DVD player...
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:13 am

Yes, for commercial films, and I record my "stories" on SVHS. I prefer it for recording, it is much more convenient w.r.t. lack of copy protection and usability (jog control, frame-by-frame, etc, is much smoother than dvd) and there are no asinine menus. I have a few boxes of tapes from years past I want to put on the computer at some point. but I have an ads pyro that is really good at dropping frames :mad:

This has nothing to do with lion. so let's move on :D

Return to “Apple”