Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:28 pm 

Dennis Nedry wrote:
IMHO; I would bypass anything PowerPC at this point. It's just not worth it. Noise, power consumption, performance. None of it is impressive in the least compared to the Intel machines. And if that Quad ever springs a leak, it usually lands up inside the PSU where something is going to get fried, or corrode away. Those drip pads on the top of the PSU never did anything in my experience, since the LCS modules tended to fail in rather spectacular ways, or slowly enough for corrosion to kick in until the machine finally died.

-DN

For limited reasons I can see PPC: If you need to run something for Classic then you need it, as the emulators really aren't there yet (and if you get a G4 you can run System 9 natively), or if you need something that demands top PPC performance (maybe something AltiVec optimized).

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:38 am 

I have little to do with video editing but I like to use mathematica. You can see how even the lowly mac air (1.4ghz) will beat the pants off of any G5 here:
http://pohl.ececs.uc.edu/~mark/air_MathematicaMark8.pdf

I bet the slowest mini of the current generation will beat the fastest quad G5 for anything. Next generation's i-series mini (and probably thunderbolt as well), even more so. an imac will run rings around it. You'll get modern software (with proper support for your sony handycam and it's avchd, aj) and a warranty, and an up-to-date os.

Of course, a powermac is more intimidating/beautiful/bigger than a mini would be sitting on the desk, and it "isn't intel". I also like my bizzare architectures...

Time the systems running the software you want with video from your camera and see which one works out faster. Then decide if the coolness of the G5 is worth the tradeoff in speed and support of a new mini at about the same price. Or an imac.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:35 pm 

My dual 1.8 served me very well when I didn't have a desktop PC. I loved it to bits, especially since it was the only RISC workstation I had that was practical as a desktop, and it helped me a lot with my MATLAB homework. But once I had a PC, the dual 1.8 simply wasn't worth more than getting good framerates in Crysis/CoD/any modern game really. So I sold it off to buy a GTX470. Surprisingly (to myself, because I was really into running non-x86 stuff at the time) I don't regret it, and what's more, I don't miss it, because now I never have to search for PPC only versions of software on the net. Nor will I ever have to now that I'm on x86 again.

And whenever I think back about my wonderful experience with the dual G5 I just think of an Intel Mac mini and Minecraft - and Minecraft tips the scales. Of course the Mac mini is much more expensive... less exotic... and doesn't come with a side window... but I've found that even I don't think those are very important features, which is the surprising part.

Like somebody at AMD said about a decade ago: Benchmarking is like sex. Everybody brags about it, everybody loves doing it and nobody can agree on performance.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:23 am 

My application is a fixed set of programs I don't need to upgrade or search for. I just bought a cheap dual 2.3 gig to serve as a file front end for a iSCSI RAID, logic 8 virtual instrument work horse. The rest of my macs are recent intel vintage so I don't feel short changed :)

DECUS Member 368596