Mac OS X Virus???

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
mnorton

Mac OS X Virus???

Unread postby mnorton » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:03 pm

hi,

I have a weird situation with my Finder. It works fine for a while and then applications stop working. If I select Firefox or itunes from the dock. The icons bounce and never launch. I can't see my istat to tell me if there is a CPU hog. I opened a terminal to use ps -ef and this won't respond either when the situation occurs.

I believe it is a virus. McAffee found nothing. Any ideas on what to do? This started happening recently. I think it occurred when my son downloaded minecraft. I think it was a trojan horse.

Whatever it was. What can I do to get my imac back to health? I can reboot my machine and it's useable. The slowly the applications stop responding. I can't launch anything and I can't quit any application.

Any ideas?
Image x1 Image x2

josehill

Re: Mac OS X Virus???

Unread postby josehill » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:29 pm

More likely: a failing hard drive or some other glitch. Before you do anything else, I recommend that you boot the computer from an OS X installation disk and make a full backup to an external drive using Apple's Disk Utility. At a bare minimum, copy over any important personal files, software license information, etc. Then you can try to use Disk Utility's repair routines on the internal drive. After that, you can try a utility like Onyx to clear various system caches, etc. to see if that will help.

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:37 am

Depending on the non-page memory characteristics of finder, it could also be a bad memory.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

zmttoxics

Unread postby zmttoxics » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:01 am

Techtool for the mac can do both memory and hd testing. Backing up is a good idea, then running the tests is another.
Stuff.

fu

Unread postby fu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:49 am

for a quick/easy test, the mac's restore dvd set (usually disc 1) comes w/ hardware diagnostics

insert dvd, reboot, keep "D" pressed after the start-up sound, and go for the "extended test"

Return to “Apple”