Apple Replaced My Broken iMac!

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
QuicksilverG4

Apple Replaced My Broken iMac!

Unread postby QuicksilverG4 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:07 pm

I just got back from the Apple store and have to happily report that they will be replacing my 2008 24" 3.06 GHz Core2 Duo iMac with a new 27" 2.93 GHz i7!!! :D

I thought I'd share my experience in case anyone has a similar issue or wants to know what its like dealing with Apple. I'm glad they replaced it but my situation was really ridiculous so I don't consider it amazing customer service though they could have fixed it again and let my Apple Care expire and told me tough shit.

My problem started in 2009 and counting today the iMac had been to the Apple store 5 times for the same issue. After being on for 30 mins to 2+ hours it would develop screen burn-in on the left side of the LCD. My iChat window, the left edge of my brower window and other things that didn't move were still visible after I moved them. That side of the iMac always seemed too hot and I always thought the problem was the graphics card.

Every time it went to the store they wasted at least a week calling me and saying they couldn't replicate the problem. The first time I eventually took it back without them doing anything. The second time it got a new LCD. The third time it got a new graphics card and logicboard. The fourth time it went back because somebody forgot to plug a fan connector into the logic board and all the fans were on high.

I had Apple Care until the end of this month and had actually sold the iMac after the fan issue was fixed. I planned on buying a new 27" once they were updated which is expected to be this month or next. After I finished backing up my files and was ready to wipe the drive and install the OS I saw the screen problem again. I called Apple support and was immediately kicked up to a senior advisor. I spent about 30 mins on the phone mostly due to the fact that he had to review all the notes from the repairs. Finally he asked me to take it back to the store for one more repair and said I'd have a warranty for 90 days past the repair date. If the problem returned he'd replace the iMac.

I said that wasn't acceptable and he was a bit irritated and told me he could not offer me a replacement at this point. He told me to call Apple's main number and talk to Customer Relations. Interestingly he 1) told me not to mention that he recommended that (I'm mentioning it here but not his name) and 2) said that I could call him back if I did not work it out with them but that I would have to leave a voicemail as its Apple policy that outside calls to direct lines are not answered.

I talked to someone at Customer Relations, explained the situation and asked for a replacement which I said the advisor I talked to was not able to offer me. She did ask why I was calling Customer Relations and I believe even asked me if the advisor told me to. Since I didn't want to cause trouble for him I said that I'd had a friend who got his Mac Book Pro replaced several years ago after calling Customer Relations. She explained that there were different things they did in different circumstances and that I would not necessarily get the same outcome. She asked that I take the iMac back into the store so that they could verify the problem had returned and give her some information. She scheduled an Genius Bar appointment for me.

I took it in today and explained the problem. They "Genius" turned on the iMac and as usual the problem was not visible as it takes awhile to show up. I expected to have to leave it and once again put up with calls about not being able to see the issue. And I'd wondered if they were going to just repair it without telling them then call me to pick it up - essentially what the support advisor I'd talked to wanted. But he looked over the past repair notes and asked me to wait while he went to talk with someone. He came back about 5 minutes later and said that given the repair history the manager wanted to replace the system.

He offered me a 27" i5 which is the top stock model. I had thought that if they replaced it they'd offer me an 27" i3 since that was still better than my old 2008 model. Though I did buy the top iMac in 2008. I asked if I could pay the $200 to upgrade it to an i7 and that was no problem. I also asked if I could get Apple Care. I expected him to say no since this was a replacement of my current iMac and not a new purchase; that my original Apple Care would transfer and last until the end of this month. But that was also no problem. They don't stock the i7s so it had to be ordered. I bought the first iMac in DE and didn't pay any sales tax. Because this one was being ordered and I was getting it in PA I had to pay 6%. That was irritating, but for about $500 I was getting a new top of the line iMac so I was happy.

The only thing that would have made it better would be if the new ones which are expected to have the new Thunderbolt interface had already been released and I got one of those. But, since this iMac has a bigger screen (and is LED unlike the original), 2x the hard drive space, 2x the RAM, and probably 2x the speed I was satisfied.

So, that's my Apple story. I sure hope there's no issues with this new iMac!

skywriter

Re: Apple Replaced My Broken iMac!

Unread postby skywriter » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:33 pm

exceptionally nice outcome! i had my iphone 3g replaced 3 times for various issues. i would have bought the i7 last time around, but the gige was gimped at that time; dont know if they addressed this.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

zmttoxics

Unread postby zmttoxics » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:03 pm

That is exactly how I got my 2010 MacBook Pro. They failed to repair my 2007 MB too many times so they had to replace it. Only the 13" pro had fw so I had to move to a pro, and paid $500 to upgrade to the 15" pro. :)
Stuff.

fu

Unread postby fu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:50 am

yep, i buy applecare for all my mac laptops too

it has never let me down, even in places w/ no applestore (but a couple of AASPs)

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:47 am

Seems like if you don't splurge for it, you're SOL. I have a MBP (version 1,1) that suffered from the model-typical overheating issues that the local apple repair people a) did not fix and b) charged me an arm and a leg for it (nb: back then, the only apple repair facility was 300km away in the capital, but still over 80 euros to ship it down and do nothing to it? They also could not speak swedish (my mother tongue and one of finland's two official languages) at all, nor as I recall, any english).
In hindsight I should not have let it slide, but I was a lot less self-confident a ducky back then. I have also two broken (and out of warranty of course) ipods, an apple wireless keyboard whose battery cover is loose enough to disconnect the batteries and have thus lost any respect for the compay I might mistakenly have harbored. What's this about apple quality? *mutter* *grouse*
:Octane: halo, octane Image knightrider, d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond, soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:13 am

Swedish is still minority language in Finland, and I guess many people are like me. I can understand it to some extent, but am not comfortable at speaking it.

Very hard language, if you ask me.... ( Or better, ask from the teachers, who spent many years trying to teach me the basics and failed.)

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:46 am

Of course it is a minority language, and I certainly don't expect just anyone to be able to respond in swedish, but the one certified apple repair place in the country (be it that they are just some outsourced repair shop)?

[many tries to formulate thoughts of languages and whatnot deleted]
:Octane: halo, octane Image knightrider, d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond, soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.

fu

Unread postby fu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:54 pm

duck wrote:...but I was a lot less self-confident a ducky back then...

duck 'n' roll fella :)

apple's support tends to be either legendary or outright ridiculous in some places. not sure if it's a matter of linguistics

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:19 pm

fu wrote:duck 'n' roll fella :)

Duck and cover :P

DECUS Member 368596

fu

Unread postby fu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:21 pm

bwahahaha

quack!

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:10 pm

fu wrote:bwahahaha

quack!

My fav; Duck dodgers in the 24 and 1/2 century!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B_rx_tFjL4

DECUS Member 368596

QuicksilverG4

Unread postby QuicksilverG4 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:02 pm

The Apple Store called today - they got a shipment of i7s in. I just got back from picking it up and am now downloading software updates. It's AMAZING!!!

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:17 pm

try the ethernet, what do you get for bandwidth?

DECUS Member 368596

QuicksilverG4

Unread postby QuicksilverG4 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 pm

I haven't had a chance to check the ethernet yet but the optical drive is seems super slow, the SD card slot doesn't recognize my card, and there's now a 3" line of green pixels running down the center of the screen whenever anything black is in that area..... Waiting for a call from Apple now. :( And no there's nothing wrong with the iMacs (previous and this one) location or environment.

Return to “Apple”