Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:49 am 

I did not mean to turn this into a cost analysis debate, or value.

If one is in a position in which they can afford whatever hobby they want, monetary value is irrelevant because the main value proposition for the hobby is the enjoyment it provides back to them. However, if one is strapped for cash... then sure, cost analyses regarding wether or not something is cost effective are sort of unavoidable. Reality being the cruel b*tch that it is...

My only advice, I know unsolicited, for pentium is that if this field is something that interests you... maybe you should think about turn it into your career. Seek some formal education in the subject, and complement it with maybe some of your liking for vintage HW (not the other way around). You're at a very important junction in your life, and sometimes at that age one does not have the privilege to let hobbies take over. It sucks, but as I said... reality is major raging b*tch. Don't take this stuff too seriously.

PS. Hamei, Friedman was not only a fraud but he seemed to be a supine assh*le, what that guy had to do with anything I wrote is beyond me though ;-)

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:12 am 

R-ten-K wrote:
My only advice, I know unsolicited, for pentium is that if this field is something that interests you... maybe you should think about turn it into your career. Seek some formal education in the subject, and complement it with maybe some of your liking for vintage HW (not the other way around).

Oh-oh. Pentium, you're in trouble now. I have to agree with the R10. When the two extremes ... ?

Quote:
Friedman was not only a fraud but he seemed to be a supine assh*le, what that guy had to do with anything I wrote is beyond me though ;-)

Hmm, we agree twice in one day. I better go have an exam, must be getting weak-minded :)

Wasn't exactly aimed at you but Uncle Miltie liked to reduce everything to a core value of money. I was thinking that our floating point error could gain more out of this rebuild project than he would by stocking shelves longer to buy a new Xeon :P

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:38 am 

I'm sorry for squirting off at the mouth guys. I've found a local buyer for the Tezros, and I'm instead going to use the money to fix my van up and take a holiday. I just want a Mac so bad I can taste it. Maybe I should put OSx86 on my Core 2 Duo...

Also, who's Friedman? Google fails me at this moment.

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:22 am 

iKitsune wrote:

Milton Friedman, a highly influential, Nobel winning, free market oriented economist. My views on him differ quite a bit from those of hamei and R-ten-K, but that's a subject for another day. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

iKitsune wrote:
I just want a Mac so bad I can taste it.

I have a nice, working iMac G5 looking for a home ;)

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:12 am 

nekonoko wrote:
iKitsune wrote:
I just want a Mac so bad I can taste it.

I have a nice, working iMac G5 looking for a home ;)

Unfortunately I'm out of Tezros, but I'm getting out of the o300 business... ;)

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:31 am 

iKitsune (and pentium for that matter), G5s hold a certain mystique, and I'd like one too, but dang, you can get a core duo mini for so little on ebay, and $30 of memory and $80 hard drive using a $3 putty knife and have a machine that will practically outperform a G5 in day to day use all while consuming less than 30 watts of power at idle.

pentium, here's the directions for repair: http://nysoyan.free.fr/Eaglefour/PowermacG5.html found at: http://www.hardmac.com/news/2007/11/20/ ... -of-a-pmg5

The directions are across a few pages with lots of photos that take time to load and it's very much in French. I haven't bothered to translate it (I don't have one to fix yet).

Remember it's a closed system, you don't need anything to special to keep it from evaporating or growing if you can clean it out and get it as full as you can with nice clean water. If it bothers you that much, a little glycol will keep it from freezing a LITTLE bleach would keep it from growing. (is glycol compatible with chlorine? maybe some research so you don't kill your self). Seriously it doesn't take much, like teaspoon to a gallon is more than it takes to keep it clean.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:37 pm 

I'm asking a moderator to lock this thread as I no longer own the system and it appears that we have derailed so far that we jumped the tracks and rolled down an embankment and then promptly exploded into a ball of flames.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:08 am 

josehill wrote:
iKitsune wrote:

Milton Friedman, a highly influential, Nobel winning, free market oriented economist. My views on him differ quite a bit from those of hamei and R-ten-K, but that's a subject for another day. :D

Joe Hill praising Milton Friedman, I am very nervous about your well-being ! I prescribe twenty pages of Joseph Stiglitz per day, ten at lunch (before the third martooni) and ten after dinner but before your Robber Baron cigar !

Read his history more carefully, Joe. Uncle Miltie was not a good person.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:09 pm 

pentium wrote:
I'm asking a moderator to lock this thread as I no longer own the system and it appears that we have derailed so far that we jumped the tracks and rolled down an embankment and then promptly exploded into a ball of flames.

What happened? Gave up? :\

Off topic still. I accidentally bought an iMac G5 this morning for $250. :( Basement sale at my friends college, all I got to see was it boot 10.4. I thought the ports on the back ran vertical so I picked up a 20" one with the horizontal ports. Apparently the last gen iSight G5 has the ports running horizontal too. *sigh* Just after I thought I was PPC free (gave away the g4s, sold the PMG5 and bought a new iMac 20" and new mac mini). Anyways, 2.1ghz, 2.5gb ram, 250gb disk, wifi + bluetooth, pretty loaded machine for $250 CDN. I may just use it for my arcade machine project instead of my 1U IBM x336. :roll: :oops:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:50 pm 

zmttoxics wrote:
pentium wrote:

What happened? Gave up? :\

Off topic still. I accidentally bought an iMac G5 this morning for $250. :( Basement sale at my friends college, all I got to see was it boot 10.4. I thought the ports on the back ran vertical so I picked up a 20" one with the horizontal ports. Apparently the last gen iSight G5 has the ports running horizontal too. *sigh* Just after I thought I was PPC free (gave away the g4s, sold the PMG5 and bought a new iMac 20" and new mac mini). Anyways, 2.1ghz, 2.5gb ram, 250gb disk, wifi + bluetooth, pretty loaded machine for $250 CDN. I may just use it for my arcade machine project instead of my 1U IBM x336. :roll: :oops:

No, I didn't give up. I didn't keep my fut in my mouth and now I no longer own it. It now belongs to iKitsune. He can go make his own thread to flaunt it around in.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:16 pm 

:\

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:26 pm 

Don't bring my name into this. No one is holding a gun to your head and making you give me that system. You got it booting. Enjoy it. If you need any more help with it, though, feel free to let me know.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:35 pm 

You were whining and now you got it. No if's, and's, or but's. When you drop by it will be waiting next to the door with the ram and the diagnostic cd.

MODERATORS: Close this thread.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:51 pm 

pentium wrote:
MODERATORS: Close this thread.

Pent, my man, you can't do that. Bobo always wants to get in the last bark too but oh well. You can't make a statement then expect someone else to close the thread, shut everyone else up (except you), save your arse. If you want it to die then don't contribute to keeping it alive.

Personally, I want to go back to bashing Uncle Miltie. C'mon R10, let's get in a couple of kicks while his theories are proving themselves to be pig squat and the entire country is suffering. Country heck, the entire world :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next