Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:53 am 

josehill wrote:
Actually, I think you take on a lot of interesting projects, and probably a few of them are not well documented on the web.

Have you considered starting a blog where you document your exploits in a little more detail? For example, I bet that if you blogged about your projects with systematic photo shooting and note taking, you'd get a pile of hits on google. You could do something like the teardown guides at ifixit.com, only with more retro stuff, and I bet you'd build a following.

I was planning on bringing up my own website sometime on my server for pretty much exactly that however it appears my ISP has barred rural ADSL users from being able to run an FTP or even an HTTP server. It's not a problem in town but out here it won't work.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 am 

A few points:

The G5 cooling unit is a self contained one, if you messed with it, chances are you won't be able to get it back to work: how are you going to presurize the cooling circuit again?

Second, use common sense. Why would you feel entitled enough to have anyone who you don't know repair anything for free?

Thridly, careful when using distilled waster, at least make sure the circuit is properly isolated from any electronics: distilled water will pick up plenty of impurities from the pump/metal pipes and will become electrically conductive very quickly. In the case of the G5 I believe there is no direct contact with the die so you should be OK.

Regarding fluorinert, it turns out the stuff is as nasty (if not nastier) than the antifreeze (why would you need antifreeze in an application which assumes starting room temperature and high operational temps?) there are multiple grades of fluorinert depending at which point you require the phase change. The liquid cools mostly by having low phase change temperature points, unless you have a self contained circuit to properly allow for the gas to precipitate back into liquid you may end up with gaseous fluorinert which IS VERY TOXIC.

Also, coming back to the common sense point: you need to make a cost analysis of the time you waste trying to bring old stuff to work, vs. just taking a normal job and spend those hours making money to buy working modern equipment.

Have you at least tried to boot the system with a big heatsink on the G5s? It would make no sense to spend all that time debugging the cooling solution if the rest of the system is fried.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:54 am 

R-ten-K wrote:
Regarding fluorinert

Joke, R10 ! Joke ! I really doubt pentium is going to pay $250 a pint to pay with fluorinert.

Altho, looking at his record, maybe you're right to be concerned :P

Quote:
Also, coming back to the common sense point: you need to make a cost analysis of the time you waste trying to bring old stuff to work, vs. just taking a normal job and spend those hours making money to buy working modern equipment.

But you don't learn anything stocking shelves. Pentium isn't 43, looking for the quickest way to become a maggot of the universe. He's playing around with old junk and (I hope) learning a lot while having fun.

Milton Friedman is a fraud.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 am 

pentium wrote:
I was planning on bringing up my own website sometime on my server for pretty much exactly that however it appears my ISP has barred rural ADSL users from being able to run an FTP or even an HTTP server. It's not a problem in town but out here it won't work.

You might want to take a look at some of the free blog hosting services, e.g. (in no particular order) blogger, tumblr, posterous, or wordpress.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:36 pm 

R-ten-K wrote:

He also turned down my offer of an exchange for a reasonable amount of SGI hardware (2 T****o rackmount, one deskside) for this machine. Oh well.

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:44 pm 

You could just run your http on the private port 8080, same with FTP lol. Although maybe some people may be like zomg not on port 80 or have no idea what that is but w/e lol

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:47 pm 

iKitsune wrote:
R-ten-K wrote:

He also turned down my offer of an exchange for a reasonable amount of SGI hardware (2 T****o rackmount, one deskside) for this machine. Oh well.

Dude, this is my mac! ;_;
Your demands for this mac are pure blackmail. Before I even told you about the G5 you were willing to give me all that hardware regardless, now you want it in exchange for the damn thing, which I don't even know if it works.

Anyways, I found out the aluminum frame is hopelessly bent so the epoxy was no use and the screws just popped out.
On the other hand I reassembled the system, cleaned up and reassembled the better condition cooling unit and installed it and powered the box on.
Well the PSU at the least is okay. The fans spin up and then slow down and the light on the front is giving me two blinks and then a pause but I get no chime. :(
It might be because the ram I attempted to use was no good (high density DDR) or because I have no video card installed or it could be something worse...

Quote:
You could just run your http on the private port 8080, same with FTP lol. Although maybe some people may be like zomg not on port 80 or have no idea what that is but w/e lol

The common ports like 21 and 80 and 8080 are blocked by default.
Listen, if I have been trying unsuccessfully for almost two years now to gust connect to my FTP server, U'm not going to be able to connect to it until I move.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:01 pm 

pentium wrote:
Well the PSU at the least is okay. The fans spin up and then slow down and the light on the front is giving me two blinks and then a pause but I get no chime. :(

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2652?viewlocale=en_US

"No memory (RAM) is installed."

And it was a trade, all right, just for something less tangible.

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:34 pm 

pentium wrote:
Your demands for this mac are pure blackmail.

Were we all this short-sighted when we were young ? Pentium, don't be such a self-centered idiot. Within two posts you've smeared two of the more helpful people on this site. Not so good.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:36 pm 

hamei wrote:
pentium wrote:
Your demands for this mac are pure blackmail.

Were we all this short-sighted when we were young ? Pentium, don't be such a self-centered idiot. Within two posts you've smeared two of the more helpful people on this site. Not so good.

Also consider he could buy a known-good one and Applecare for what he could sell ONE of the Tezros for.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:49 pm 

Okay, I'm just going to stop interacting with people now. I appears that now I seem to do when I start threads in almost any forum I'm in I just start a fight and look more like a douche.
Maybe I am dull. Maybe I am short sighted. I'm sorry, I'm just very inquisitive but I really hate getting nice and newer stuff, only to hand it off almost immediately to somebody else.
Sorry but it's all past experience. I'm aware I lack the social skills of most here but oh well.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:59 pm 

pentium wrote:
Okay, I'm just going to stop interacting with people now. I appears that now I seem to do when I start threads in almost any forum I'm in I just start a fight and look more like a douche.
Maybe I am dull. Maybe I am short sighted. I'm sorry, I'm just very inquisitive but I really hate getting nice and newer stuff, only to hand it off almost immediately to somebody else.
Sorry but it's all past experience. I'm aware I lack the social skills of most here but oh well.

The idea was you could sell two of the Tezros and turn that into a lot of nice and newer stuff. I really hold no attachment to them, but a G5 is my dream computer, and I don't have the resources you do (like Freegeek) to find these things. Technology Recycling Center is nice, but they mainly get refuse from Boeing and Colsa, which tends not to be G5s, it tends more toward Sun and SGI. Trust me, I wouldn't be frothing at the mouth like this if I could get them as easily as I get SGIs and Suns.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:16 pm 

Just shut up and take the damn thing!
It seems that it's now obvious I'm not allowed to have nice stuff.
Okay then. Fine. You can go play with your shiny G5 and I'll keep trying to get google to not crash Mozilla on my Powermac 9600.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:07 pm 

Value is in the eye of the beholder. No one should feel forced to do a deal or a trade, no matter what the terms of the deal might be.

If it hasn't already crossed over the line, this thread is veering pretty close to personal attacks, ad hominems, etc.

To all involved, please try to dial it back a notch, and please try to keep the focus on the technical side of things.

While the economics of this project are interesting, the bottom line is that an individual is pursuing a project because he wants to pursue the project. If it were strictly a matter of counting pennies, then probably very few of us would have good reasons to be hanging out in forums devoted to vintage/EOL'd computers.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

josehill wrote:
If it were strictly a matter of counting pennies, then probably very few of us would have good reasons to be hanging out in forums devoted to vintage/EOL'd computers.

Yep - happens to me too. Just a couple weeks ago I posted on "The Vintage Computer Forums" asking for a recommendation on parts to fabricate a new keyboard encoder cable for an Apple II+. Of course a responder or two assumed I was incapable of using Google and came across as rather condescending.

My goal wasn't to have others do the research for me, but to hopefully get pointers from those who have already performed a similar repair. Before posting, I did locate a few places via Google that sold the parts, but they had large minimum order fees and even larger shipping costs. In the end, I e-mailed Vince Briel directly as he sells replacement Apple II encoder boards, and he was quite helpful in pointing me toward an inexpensive source of prefab cables, including an assembly number. I then posted the assembly number and price to the thread as a follow up for others.

The key is not to lose your cool even when others come across as insulting - use lots of smilies and just let the negative comments roll off. This stuff is supposed to be fun - you're always going to run into people who think your hobbies are a colossal waste of time, no matter what they happen to be :)

All Rights Reserved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next