Apple MacOS disk formats

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
porter

Apple MacOS disk formats

Unread postby porter » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:07 pm

Hi,

I am setting up my new pismo with tiger. I want to use it for MS Office, XCode and classic UNIX development. I have one partition formatted as "Extended HFS, case insensitive, journaled", and am wondering what to do with the other partition I have created for putting UNIX development stuff in. Is "Extended HFS, case sensitive, journaled" a good choice, or should I use the UNIX fs format it includes? I am thinking about things like symbolic links, but I don't want to get finder info and classic resources splattered all over the place in separate files.

Thanks.
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.

SAQ

Re: Apple MacOS disk formats

Unread postby SAQ » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:07 pm

I haven't had any problems with HFS+ and UNIX files. Apple has good support for symlinks (and very possibly hardlinks as well - I can make them and they don't show up as symlinks in "ls -l"), and the resource info doesn't clog things up.

UFS support always seems to have been the ugly stepbrother - there because it was in NeXTSTEP, but not really integrated (at least at the last time I looked).
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:09 pm

i wouldn't format anything case sensitive. i encountered more or less major problems with some apps because of that.
r-a-c.de

porter

Unread postby porter » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:14 pm

foetz wrote:i wouldn't format anything case sensitive. i encountered more or less major problems with some apps because of that.

My boot drive is case-insensitive, so MS Office will happily live there. But to do faithful UNIX development you need case-sensitivity.

So Journalled, HFS+,case-sensitive it is for the other partition. :)
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.

Return to “Apple”