Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:52 pm 

This is why I always like to work with older hardware and never upgrade to better systems. Crap always refuses to work.
In this case, I got a Powermac 9600 that was "Avid Ready" (had an Avid video I/O and compression board installed) and after I moved most of my hardware from my 8600 (cards, drives and ram), I tried to upgrade the system. Of course, that has so became a day of fun.

1) I bought an untested Sonnet Crescendo G3 400/512 card for me to put in it but when I do install it I get no chime or anything. The card warms up and yes I have tried both the CUDA switch and a PRAM reset but still nothing happens. I have a suspicion the card itself is dead or there is something elsewhere on the board (the ram?) that's causing the issue but I don't know what it is.
Also, did this model come with a circular screw-on heatsink or should it have the purple one that most other Sonnet cards have?

2) I have an OrangePCi 540 card that worked flawlessly in my 8600. I was expecting it to do the same in my 9600 but nope. So long as the card is in the box I get no video signal and the system does not even try to boot blind.

3) I prepared a Radeon 7000 for use in this box but that problem is being discussed in another thread.

What's so special about the 9600? I see there is an empty ROM slot in the board but would that help much and what would it do?

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:11 am 

I have a G3 upgrade card in my 9600 and as I recall there was a jumper that had to be set specifically for use in the 9600. My 9600 is tucked away in a cabinet at work, I'll try to get it out sometime this week. You should see if you can find the docs for the upgrade card. I don't remember if mine is a sonnet or newertech card.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:10 am 

Well there's obviously no jumper on the Sonnet card and I didn't recall seeing any sort of jumper on the 9600 board so... :?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:16 pm 

I have a Newer Technology MAXpowr G3 I400/200. It has a 4 position dip switch block. I can't find the docs online anymore, but I remember having to change the switches to make it work. I wish I'd saved the docs. I also wonder where my 604ev/350 MHz board went off to.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:47 pm 

Is it Kansas or pre-Kansas? That might be your issue- Kansas (Mach 5 PPC CPU) doesn't have on-board cache RAM since the cache is inline (running at 2x bus frequency), whereas pre-Kansas models have an soldered-in cache (512K I think).

You're board probably needs to know which version you have.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:23 pm 

Are you talking about the processor card or the system board?

EDIT: Found out what was up with the Orange PCi card. It seems that when I move the USB/firewire card that I have in the slot next to the board another slot over the system will boot fine. Well that was odd. :/

EDIT: Don't know if this means much but I also tried an XLR8 slot to ZIF 333mhz G3 adapter and it too would not let either system chime. I don't know if it was because I don't have the dip switches properly set on this card but there is an led on it that just seems to blink when the system is on.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:29 pm 

They're made as a pair - the Kansas mainboard only supports Kansas processor cards with inline cache. They're the later PM9600 machines, definitely 300 and 350's (the same design was used on the later model 8600s as well).

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:45 pm 

I'm going to offer the advice that even if the G3 card won't work in the 9600, if it's a 300, or especially if it's a 350 you won't notice the speed much and you shouldn't sweat it.

I don't know what your plans are for the machine, but I can't tell the difference for the things I pull the 9600 out to do (it was a 350 before I put the G3/400 card in).