WHO IS GETTING THE IPHONE...

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
josehill

Re: WHO IS GETTING THE IPHONE...

Unread postby josehill » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:11 pm

tbcpp wrote:Personally I'll be laughing my head off during the next few months whenever I see someone with a iPhone. It was meant to scream "I am cool", but to me it just looks like "I got swindled!"

Don't be so quick to laugh -- looking at the total cost of the phone plus a contract (which includes broadband) over two years, it actually works out to be a little cheaper than a Verizon smartphone with broadband and comparable calling time in my area. Granted, the AT&T broadband is slower than the Verizon broadband, but maybe it's good enough for a lot of folks...

dingofarmer

Unread postby dingofarmer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:16 am

thought about it. The price does not scare me away. Ipod 220.00, lgvx9800 300.00 = 520.00, so an all in one unit would be nice. However I will not switch over to AT&T, or sign a 2yr agreement. The voice + Data plan is well, a lot to swallow for two years on top of the 500-600 investment. Cool, but not that cool. If things change down the road, I'd love to get one.
:Indigo2: :O2000: :ChallengeL: :Indy: :PI:

SupremeCmdr

Unread postby SupremeCmdr » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:42 pm

Looks kind of interesting but:
a) it doesn't work in Aus at the moment
b) it's a bit expensive for my budget
c) the price of data transfer would kill off any fun stuff you could do.

Perhaps in a few years when they bring out the iPhone Mini.

Lastly, I'm bloody sick of hearing about this damn Phone.
I love my Apple gear but this really is ridiculous.

[EDIT] It only just dawned on me that now OSX runs on ARM as well as x86 and PPC. Thats pretty cool.
Apple Unibody MBP 2.66Ghz, 8Gb OSX 10.6
Apple MacMini 1.83Ghz, 1Gb OSX 10.5
Apple Power Mac Cube 450Mhz, 256Mb, OSX 10.3 Sweet!
Sun Ultra10 440Mhz 1Gb, SunOS 5.10

http://gothmog.homeunix.net/blog

anotheradamdickson

Unread postby anotheradamdickson » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:11 pm

regan_russell wrote:Pitty you live in a place where having a flashy device gets you mugged..

$600 for an ARM running a cut down BSD: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3026
hmm... maybe when I'm rich and fameous... there will be something cooler out in 6 months..

Regan

You mean the United States :) !!!

Sadly .... :)'ing because it's so sad

Hey lets go buy some crack of that white dude in a suit in the ghetto, can anyone say Iran-Contra (the drug part, not the guns part)

choza

Unread postby choza » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:41 pm

just found myself in front of supposed leaked images and specs on Chinese meizu m8 or minione as they call now. Looks like an iphone, and supposedly packs more stuff for the bucks.
Meizu phone
No contract!, 3G, GPS, 16gb are some supposed features. If you can wait, it may be a tempting alternative
I even like the name and match with the fact ill be starting mandarin shortly :D (Chinese engineers know what i want!)
cheers

regan_russell

Unread postby regan_russell » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:52 pm

anotheradamdickson wrote:You mean the United States :) !!!

I was hoping that people would have focused on the link to the internals to the iPhone, not the side remark :roll:

Regan
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000

BURZUM

Unread postby BURZUM » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:49 am

zizban wrote:Let's say Unix-like because neither Mac OS X or Linux is officially Unix since they haven't passed the a Unix Test, like Unix98. Apple is going to submit 10.5 to the Open Group for testing under Unix05, which would then make it official.

Okay, back to the iPhone. :D

Apple Mac OS X Server is already offical UNIX(r). http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/

Code: Select all

UNIX 03

Company Name: Apple Inc.

Product Name: Mac OS X Version 10.5 Leopard on Intel-based Macintosh computers
Environment:

Registered on: 18-May-2007
Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:36 am

NOT ME!!!

My laptop already does all that crap, and I barely use my laptop or cellphone.

Silly conspicuous consumers trying to keep up with the joneses. :lol:

TaoTeCheese

Unread postby TaoTeCheese » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:11 pm

I was overjoyed to discover that it does, in fact, BLEND

http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=iphone

Sparrowhawk

Unread postby Sparrowhawk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:34 pm

When I first looked at the interface screen shots - I thought wow, that looks cool. I might get one when they come out. Then I started paying attention to the press and realized that it was AT&T only - which means here in North Dakota, Kenya will get the damn thing before we do.

Feature wise - I think the Palm Treo's look a bit more appealing esp with the developer lock out that Apple has.

I don't get it, why make the product available for only one carrier and why lock out 3rd party apps?

Cheers,

Shawn
:4D70GT: :Octane2: :O200: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:26 am

Cool demo of electronic medical record on the iPhone...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX_6yIO2bR8

sparcdr

Unread postby sparcdr » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:03 am

Sparrowhawk: First off it's not made for developers. It's made for consumers, and they feel it has all the features consumers need, and I have to agree with that. Given the activation method (iTunes) it'd be impossible to support multiple carriers. It has a removable SIM, but it's locked out from being used with other cards and providers, and this does suck.

The integration is what makes it only on one network at the moment. I find it horrific that it's 5 years with a slow network, and big bad monopoly provider. Expensive? Not really. The IMAP/POP3 support, full browser capability, multitouch, zooming, e-mail to phone integration, iPod functionality, contact synchronizing, and wifi make it almost worth the money. If only the 2 year contract subsidized the cost, most people would be willing to switch to AT&T. The thing killing the smartphone (It's not just a phone, mind) is the network. Going with the biggest provider isn't the best thing, just look at the Windows platform. Apple is making 50% profit on each unit, which is indeed a lot, and I think it should be down at 30-35% personally. Anyways, I'd buy it if the 8gb was $400 unlocked. Go with a Nokia N93/N95 if you can pay $250 more, you'll get access to SymbianOS S60 SDK, a browser based on the same code (WebKit), 5 megapixel camera, wifi, and HDSPA (3G) support, plus you can use any GSM carrier with it, which is unfortunately just T-Mobile and AT&T in US at the moment. If you are simple and don't care about open access to the device, go with a Helio Ocean if you want a 3G device with some of the cool features at half the price. If the N93/N95's weren't so much more expensive, I'd go with them, although I do find the integration and elegance of the iPhone inticing, although only partially convincing.

I'm an early adopter of the MacBook Pro's, which had many problems as they were the first mass production of Intel Macs, and I can say that stripped down ported OSX on ARM is bound to have megaloads of bugs. Currently, WebKit and Google Maps bugs are the ones most notable on the iPhone, although one may argue that the equally but less closed proprietary Nokia system has plenty of bugs too, especially given the extensibility of their devices. I'd wait for 2nd generation 16GB iPhones before I bought one, and I might even forgive the contract and non-subsidized cost as long as the overall cost is reduced. The network is unlimited data and the second generation iPhone has a strong possibility of using 3G HDSPA, although I believe HDSPA is highly inferior to Sprint's 3G PCS network at the moment, as you can only get HDSPA in New York and San Francisco, while 3G EVDO Rev. A was available for over a year even in the small town I lived in for 15 years. Sprint's acceptable use policy is far less restrictive anyways, just take a look at Verizon and Cingular acceptable use for their Mobile Broadband. This is the main reason I will not take it you know where from AT&T unless the eyecandy of the iPhone somehow remaps my brain just right.

As for the Treo, sorry, too buggy. I have enough experience with Palm's OS, although their devices are pretty good quality. My old iBook was reliable, and my friend's Powerbook has ran constantly for 4 years and still works, so I still have faith in Apple as far as quality goes more than Palm. My 3rd gen MacBook Pro holds up much better than the first gen, although we'll see how good it is after a year. Anyways, iPod's aside from battery issues seem to hold up, so wait for the second gen, then reconsider, but until then just ignore it.

zahal

Unread postby zahal » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:20 am

josehill wrote:
tbcpp wrote:Personally I'll be laughing my head off during the next few months whenever I see someone with a iPhone. It was meant to scream "I am cool", but to me it just looks like "I got swindled!"

Don't be so quick to laugh -- looking at the total cost of the phone plus a contract (which includes broadband) over two years, it actually works out to be a little cheaper than a Verizon smartphone with broadband and comparable calling time in my area. Granted, the AT&T broadband is slower than the Verizon broadband, but maybe it's good enough for a lot of folks...

The only one laughing his head off is Mr. Jobs, he pulled another one off, a recent survey indicates that one in three americans will get the iPhone, and that figure is likely to be higher in Japan and Europe:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cf ... wsID=18539

AAPL is on a roll, and you can expect it to keep climbing as iPhone sales sweep across the globe.
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 600MHz PIII - HP Alphaserver DS15 - Digital DECstation5000/133 - Dell T3500 - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6100/66 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6500/G3@500MHz - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh LC475 (OC Full 040 33MHz) - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Full 040 40Mhz Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - EBOX 3300A-JSK - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Compaq Armada 4120 - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP OmniBook 425 - HP 200LX - Crossbeam C12

mmendez

Unread postby mmendez » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:01 am

Steve Jobs' Reality distortion field notwithstanding, I think the iPhone is a pretty good product and will probably get one if Vodafone gets the distribution exclusive and/or it can be bought unlocked in Spain. I currently have a Nokia N70 and would really love to have an all-in-one PDA/browser/mp3 player with a big screen and wi-fi. The N95 is nice but expensive.

If a way to develop homebrew apps is found I'm sold. The Symbian SDK is horrible and I won't touch Windows Mobile with 10 ft pole.
SGI: :Indigo2IMP: :Fuel: :O2: :Octane2:
Sun: Ultra2, Ultra60, Sun Fire 4800
Apple: G3, Powermac G4 MDD, PowerMac G5, Mac Mini, iBook G4 12", MBP
Dec 3000
IBM RS/6000
AMD64 FreeBSD box

Barkas

Unread postby Barkas » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:17 am

The iphone is very nice, but I think I'll be going with a Nokia E65 soon.

Because the iphone is closed and you'll have to use whatever apple is prepared to give.
For S60 you can literally get everything.

Return to “Apple”