WHO IS GETTING THE IPHONE...

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
dark_knight

WHO IS GETTING THE IPHONE...

Unread postby dark_knight » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:38 pm

SUBJECT SAYS IT ALL....
only phone to run UNIX (WELL FREE BSD :)
Powerbook 1.5 Ghz 10.5.2
PowerMac 1.8 Ghz 10.5.2
O2 Irix 6.5.30m
O2 Irix 6.5.30m
Octane Irix 6.5.30m
Octane 2 Irix 6.5.30m
FreeNAS Server 1.8 TB FreeBSD

R-ten-K

Re: WHO IS GETTING THE IPHONE...

Unread postby R-ten-K » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:54 pm

Tsssss, don't tell Motorola... they have used Linux in a bunch of their phones for years now. :roll:

I saw one live yesterday, a friend works for Apple; Neat-o device if you are American, not so impressive if you have been exposed to the rest of the world and what they get from their mobile devices. The interface is qwel though, that is a bout it. Ah, you need to have the high en plans it seems in order to access the iPod functionality. I am trying to decide if the iPhone is a testament to Apple's wonderous marketing powers or the sad state of wireless communications in this country :-) All in all, I dunno if the cool interface is worth the $500 premium....
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:44 pm

Let's say Unix-like because neither Mac OS X or Linux is officially Unix since they haven't passed the a Unix Test, like Unix98. Apple is going to submit 10.5 to the Open Group for testing under Unix05, which would then make it official.

Okay, back to the iPhone. :D

dark_knight

Unread postby dark_knight » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:06 pm

Sorry to hijack my own thread... but I thought OS 10.4 had to be submitted for testing to CLAIM the BSD LOGO in the about this MAC section...

DK
Powerbook 1.5 Ghz 10.5.2
PowerMac 1.8 Ghz 10.5.2
O2 Irix 6.5.30m
O2 Irix 6.5.30m
Octane Irix 6.5.30m
Octane 2 Irix 6.5.30m
FreeNAS Server 1.8 TB FreeBSD

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:43 pm

I thought that the whole UL lawsuit in the late 80s it ended with BSD != Unix :-) Plus I assume that the iPhone is running a bastardized version of OSX ala Apple TV.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

yuckymucky

Unread postby yuckymucky » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:09 pm

I just can't see spending $600 for a phone, even if it supposedly does all that it does.

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:42 pm

By the way, it's meant to compete with high end "smart phone" type devices like the Blackberry. Price and feature wise it's not meant to go up against the common phone.

Remember that when doing price comparisons. It's not a $500 premium unless all you want is the most basic device.

Plus I assume that the iPhone is running a bastardized version of OSX ala Apple TV.

They're not allowing 3rd party applications which makes the fact that it technically has OSX pretty boring.

I can see why, and that's fine for them and for their customers, I just don't see why the OS matters on any level except for name recognition.
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:57 pm

R-ten-K wrote:I assume that the iPhone is running a bastardized version of OSX ala Apple TV.

Yep. It runs OS X with the Safari web browser.

choza

Unread postby choza » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:25 pm

let me see... edge here is a show stopper in price (not to mention its not good)
wifi restricted to 3 or 4 shopping centers in the whole country plus the 2 airports i guess...
then it turns into a nice touchscreen cell phone with 4/8 gb ipod video
well i have to tell me that not to be tempted so much, i have a nokia 1100 (dont start laughing, it just works), so getting it would be just
to disguise the fact im getting an ipod saying the iphone is for work and to use as my mobile office

so the short version is in the meantime im keeping my ol skool 1g cell

fatal_error

Unread postby fatal_error » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:48 pm

And! What about the inconsistency in the zoom feature? When viewing images etc you can zoom in by pinching your fingers, but in the safari/map mode you will have to double tap to get fixed rate zoom. Holy two fingers, Batman!

I would say ... it is nice but not as a phone. I wonder what kind of hacking possibilities are there.

(oh, now i got it, it is because your other hand is usually busy while browsing the net. I mean, it is nice to operate phone single handedly when in a busy metro or driving a car..)
:Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:13 pm

choza wrote:i have a nokia 1100 (dont start laughing, it just works)

Heh! I bought a Nokia 2180 right after it came out in 1997 and used it until I got a Motorola V710 a couple of years ago. It did all that I ever asked it to do! I figured that it was time to upgrade when kids started asking me if the 2180 was a portable television set. :D

I played with the iPhone a little bit. Much nicer integration of functions than a Treo or Blackberry. I'm probably going to get an iPhone as an R&D unit to prototype some convergence applications, but, alas, I think I'll go for a Treo 700p for my day-to-day use.

Also, I don't want to get mugged on the street after flashing the iPhone. ;)

regan_russell

Unread postby regan_russell » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Pitty you live in a place where having a flashy device gets you mugged..

$600 for an ARM running a cut down BSD: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3026
hmm... maybe when I'm rich and fameous... there will be something cooler out in 6 months..

Regan
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000

tbcpp

Unread postby tbcpp » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:58 am

I'm wondering if anyone here has used the EDGE networking that the iPhone uses for it's cell tower based web surfing? I have a Blackberry (or Crackberry as a friend calls it), and the 'net is dog slow. It's almost worse than dial-up.

But hey, the way I look at it, I got a Blackberry through the company I work for, for $100 USD + our existing monthly fee (and the company paid for both of those). So let's see, $600 for a iPhone or $100 for a Blackberry...I'll go with the $100.

Personally I'll be laughing my head off during the next few months whenever I see someone with a iPhone. It was meant to scream "I am cool", but to me it just looks like "I got swindled!"

Not that I have a issue with Apple, my next machine will be a Mac.
:O2000: :Octane: :O2: :O2:
UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. -- Dennis Ritchie

yuckymucky

Unread postby yuckymucky » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:30 am

I have used the AT&T Edge network and it sucks. Someday soon I would imagine that they might upgrade it to true 3G but it will be a while off.

I have a Blackberry on Verizon and it is decently quick. Plus it does pretty much everything that the iPhone does and it only cost $199 opposed to the $599.

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:54 pm

Hmm...
A)I live in canada.
B)so far, Telus is unable to support the phone.
C)Even if I had the money, I would probably spend it on old computers. :mrgreen:
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Return to “Apple”