Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: local dns
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:20 pm 

China Telecom is apparently screwing up dns (yet again) so I went looking for some more reliable dns servers using the google dns-server application (yet again.) Found some new ones, now works okay again (until the next time. They can't help themselves, just have to fuck things up. Copy ? I wish. No, they have a deep-seated need to "improve" things they don't understand. Test ? ha ha ha, they subscribe to the Alver School of IT : cost / benefit. Cost to them, benefit to us, why the eff should they care if it works ?)

But the interesting thing is, the local dns via Cisco router was about 50% faster than the next-fastest dns server. And dozens of times faster than the slower ones. It's really worth grabbing that program and running it, you could be surprised at the wide variation in dns server speed.

Of course this makes sense but for those of you wondering if local dns is really worth setting up, definitely. Or definitely if your factory dns sucks, like ours does.

Post subject: Re: local dns
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:21 pm 

hamei wrote:
Of course this makes sense but for those of you wondering if local dns is really worth setting up, definitely. Or definitely if your factory dns sucks, like ours does.

We have some extra dumbed-down and broken dns features here from some ISPs and there is the whole government snooping black list thing.

Poor Alver. :(

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:47 pm 

PymbleSoftware wrote:
We have some extra dumbed-down and broken dns features here from some ISPs and there is the whole government snooping black list thing.

Count your blessings :(

I wish I knew more about dns ... as in, how can they poison dns returns when you (supposedly) are connected directly to a foreign dns server ? Obviously we can't connect directly to the foreign dns server but why not ? (Because they don't want me too, obviously. But I meant mechanically speaking, why not ?) I need a vpn to the dns to get good results back ? Why screw with dns when they ultimately block those ip's anyhow ?

Quote:
Poor Alver. :(

He'll probably survive :P

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:56 pm 

hamei wrote:
PymbleSoftware wrote:

Count your blessings :(

I wish I knew more about dns ... as in, how can they poison dns returns when you (supposedly) are connected directly to a foreign dns server ? Obviously we can't connect directly to the foreign dns server but why not ? (Because they don't want me too, obviously. But I meant mechanically speaking, why not ?) I need a vpn to the dns to get good results back ? Why screw with dns when they ultimately block those ip's anyhow ?

I think that there must be something in the routing that filters packets as they pass through and rewrites stuff as it passes through on the fly.
Now you could do source routing frames and stuff like that to find out what is happening where but that sound was the whoosh as all that very low level networking stuff went right over my head.

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:14 pm 

PymbleSoftware wrote:
I think that there must be something in the routing that filters packets as they pass through and rewrites stuff as it passes through on the fly.

Probably something like this :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6 ... 68d1.shtml

but i'm not smart enough to outsmart it :( Thanks Cisco, you hypocritical assholes.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:09 am 

DNS manipulation is as old as NAT. Don't blame Cisco for providing products, that are demanded because of stupid political decisions. Probably this link helps:

https://ripe65.ripe.net/presentations/9 ... ripe65.pdf

Just contact Thomas and you will find out a solution for your problem.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:12 am 

You could find a DNS server which supports DNSSEC and set up a local DNS server which queries that server directly.
Another option is to "hardcode" DNS entries for your favorite sites -- most websites have had the same IP for a long time, so you can simply add that to your local DNS server and it should work.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:01 am 

ShadeOfBlue wrote:
You could find a DNS server which supports DNSSEC and set up a local DNS server which queries that server directly.

Hmm. Will have to look into that. Probably won't help me, these orientals are devlishly clever in some ways but it's worth a try.

Quote:
Another option is to "hardcode" DNS entries for your favorite sites -- most websites have had the same IP for a long time, so you can simply add that to your local DNS server and it should work.

Been there, done that. It used to work but they figgered out how to stop it. No longer an option :(

In fact, you can go to a web-hosted dns information site overseas, grab the correct ip for a site, plug that into the browser and hope ... but alas, too many hosting companies are using one ip for several sites now so that doesn't work, either. And even if it were one site on one ip, our boys in Beijing got that covered somehow.

VPN to another country is the only thing that works reliably these days. Even that is ineffective if the VPN supplier gets too popular and well-known.

diegel wrote:
DNS manipulation is as old as NAT. Don't blame Cisco for providing products, that are demanded because of stupid political decisions.

It's not really political. It's cultural and a thousand years old. You flat-out do not say insulting things to people's face here. The great firewall has a lot more to do with face and "hurting the feelings of the Chinese people" than it does with 'repression" or the "fears of the ruling communist party." That's all crap dreamed up by western buffoons with an axe to grind who know slightly less then minus-100% about China.

In general, the gfw is more of a nuisance than a real problem. And in some ways it's an asset - it's so nice not to have to see that facebook effluvia. What's annoying tho is their screwing with google image searches (It would be great if they could tell the difference between searching for photos of a crescent wrench and naked pictures of Angelina Jolie) and their general incompetence. If there's one site they dislike, they'll often block off a huge chunk of ip's. Lazy bastards, they are almost as bad as the fools in the US who put all of China on blacklists because of spam from a few ip's. Spam which originates in the US, might I add...

Quote:
Probably this link helps:

Will read it, thank you. But I don't hold out much hope for me outsmarting Cisco :)

The real beef I have with Cisco as a corporation is that they are purebred assholes. Heck, they are the Titans of Assholedom. When the US was in that dot-com bubble with thousands of Sun servers flowing out the doors daily and trainloads of IT equipment flooding the country, Cisco lied on its stock reports and manipulated its earnings to pay zero, Yes that's right -- zero federal income tax. So did Mickeysoft, by the way. With profits increasing by 30% quarter over quarter.

Sorry, that's not smart business, it's just horseshit. Both those companies made billions of dollars by stealing technology that was paid for by the US government, aka citizens of the US. In fact, both companies (and many others) are purely liars and cheats.

We won't even mention the H1B scam.

Then the crapheads fly that "US is so exceptional ! US is so wonderful ! Free Market is the best thing to ever hit the world ! We need lots of government money but no taxes because we are JOB CREATORS !! Kapitalism ! Innovation ! We are the Future of the World" flag like Hurricane Sandy is behind it. Hell, with all their hot air they could have blown Hurricane Sandy out to sea and saved the east coast a lot of flooding.

All that flagwaving but what did they do the first time the evil commies waved a nickel ? They came running like the two-bit whores they really are and dropped to their knees faster than a hooker on San Pablo. And we won't mention Huawei, which only exists because Cisco was oh-so-happy to screw the people who worked for them, designed their products, built their products, made them what they are. Except Huawei took them for a ride, har har :) Couldn't happen to nicer people. As WC said, "You can't cheat an honest company."

Cisco are truly disgusting hypocrites and liars, that's my beef with them.

Last edited by hamei on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:06 am 

I've run my own local DNS for years. Wouldn't go back to anything else.

:Fuel: bigred, 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, R10000, Solid IMPACT (full hinv pending)
probably posted from Image bruce, 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:43 pm 

ClassicHasClass wrote:
I've run my own local DNS for years. Wouldn't go back to anything else.

Ja, but you have an advantage -- your ISP doesn't systematically poison the dns returns. This creates something of a problem :P