Soooo, what OS for a Macbook Pro replacement

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
JacquesT

Soooo, what OS for a Macbook Pro replacement

Unread postby JacquesT » Tue May 15, 2018 12:43 pm

My wife's 2010 Macbook Pro (13") is starting to show some hardware issues, and I don't want to at this stage replace the logic board, it's simply not worth it as the battery is shot as well.

So I was thinking of getting her a Thinkpad / similar HP and then running a suitably user friendly Linux distro on it. She just needs the following basic functions.

- Retain her photo library (can be exported from Photos) and be able to import new photos / videos from her Sony camera
    - Browse the web + online banking
    - E-Mail - also transfer her e-mail from Mail
    - Use OpenOffice (I'll have to export all her documents from Pages)
    - Open PDF and print to PDF from any app.
    - Skype would be good for family abroad, but not required as we can use my Macbook or iPhone.

Updates should be simply (should I start laughing now?!) and she does not want to fook about with hardware / command line.

I would have suggested ubuntu but I personally hate ubuntu. I was thinking some Debian spin or even Centos / Fedora? KISS applies here, very much so.

She does not want another Mac, she is not happy with Apple. She loves the Macbook but hates the way MacOS and Apple are going with forced redundancies / upgrade cycles / exploitation of resources / workers etc etc. She has her views. She doesn't mind another OS as long as she doesn't have to spend 50% of her time trouble shooting what the camera won't eject from the device list, etc etc.

(ah and she hates Windows, so that is not an option)

Any suggestions? I'm not a huge linux person myself but have previously had good runs with Manjaro and less good runs with Centos, though my Centos woes stem from trying to get Centos to love a flashed nvidia card on a MacPro driving two displays and trying to get a Broadcom wireless chipset to work as well, oh the pain!
:Octane: - 1xR12k 400Mhz, 1GB, V8, 18Gb 10K & 36Gb 15K HDD, 6.5.30
:Octane: - 1xR12k 300Mhz, 384MB, SSE, 18Gb 10K HDD, 6.5.30
:O2: :1600SW: - 300Mhz R5200, 384MB, 36Gb 15K HDD, A/V, FPA, 4x CD-ROM, 6.5.30
"Ho Ho," Says the keeper of the beat.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: Soooo, what OS for a Macbook Pro replacement

Unread postby uunix » Tue May 15, 2018 12:55 pm

I tried Mint with my parents.. seemed the easiest after a lot of testing.. they are in their 80s and couldn't cope so they are back using windows..

But Mint is quite nice.. Heck I'm not a fan of Looonix.. but it seemed ok to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

mgtremaine

Unread postby mgtremaine » Tue May 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Elementary OS is a nice move from OS X, works good on aging Apple hardware also. (Have Mac mini 2007, and Mac Book 2008 running it)

-Mike
:Indy::O2:

pierocks
Donor
Donor

Unread postby pierocks » Tue May 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely love linux.

It will literally never be the year of linux on the desktop. I finally gave up on my delusions about that last year. I now run my daily driver as a hackintosh, and I have never been happier. Even with the amount of ass-pain that went into making it work, it was still less work than trying to get linux to provide even 1/10th of the quality of user experience as a mac. My next computer purchase will probably be whatever mac pro replaces the trashcan, assuming it’s actually as modular as the rumors are claiming.

And as far as Apple as a company versus everyone else that makes computer hardware, good luck finding anybody that doesn’t “exploit” their workers. Every consumer electronic device is made in China. Deal with it. At least Apple is pushing recycling initiatives, attempting to source materials responsibly, and using large quantities of renewable energy.

What I’m saying is, if you have a problem with the way multinational companies treat their workers at the lowest levels, well then get used to using your abacus made with pinecones and writing notes in the dirt with a stick. I bet you can’t even buy an ethically sourced notepad these days.

EDIT:
I’m not saying here that you shouldn’t care about people being exploited in the name of profit margins. In fact, my beliefs are quite the opposite. What I am saying is that it doesn’t make a damn bit of sense to refuse to buy products from one company because of how they treat their workforce, and then turn around and buy products from their competitor who likely has a factory right next door and probably does the same exact things to their workers. If you refuse one hardware manufacturer because of their business practices, you have to refuse them all.
:ChallengeXL: Image :O2: :O2: :O2:
They are multiplying. If you can read this, send help.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 am

pierocks wrote:Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely love linux.

It will literally never be the year of linux on the desktop. I finally gave up on my delusions about that last year. I now run my daily driver as a hackintosh, and I have never been happier. Even with the amount of ass-pain that went into making it work, it was still less work than trying to get linux to provide even 1/10th of the quality of user experience as a mac. My next computer purchase will probably be whatever mac pro replaces the trashcan, assuming it’s actually as modular as the rumors are claiming.

Exactly.

For years I would try to escape Windows on the desktop and give Linux a shot. Then after a while you realize how much time you're wasting not doing actual work but crafting X.org configurations, making applications play nice and other nonsense and I would give up for a couple of years.

In 2011 I took a gamble and bought a MacBook Pro. I have never bothered with desktop Linux anymore. I'm on my 2nd now and while it has some quirks (current MacOS keeps asking for passwords to SMB shares for example), it is a nice blend of a polished desktop and having all my favorite UNIX tools available. Mind you, I have run Linux on servers for at least 2 decades now and it's great there. I have a development workstation at work with several distributions of Linux and that works mostly OK too. But I've given up on desktop productivity, photo and video editing on Linux. You know, the sort of thing that most non-geeky people do with their computers.

shutitalldown

Unread postby shutitalldown » Wed May 16, 2018 2:52 am

pierocks wrote:I bet you can’t even buy an ethically sourced notepad these days

Unfortunately no. But the whole computing is also dead as well.
These are days of putrefaction, decomposition, and rotting.
I am tattooed in reverse, cause if you break rules you don't know where it leads.
But, say, all the venus in furs are so manically depressed and manically dressed.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 am

pierocks wrote:And as far as Apple as a company versus everyone else that makes computer hardware, good luck finding anybody that doesn’t “exploit” their workers.

It's entertaining to me how people who have never been within 10,000 miles of a chinese factory are so sure of how the poor workers are viciously exploited. Meanwhile, go try picking onions in California. I've done both, and I'll take the china factory every time.

btw, Foxcon pays its fucking taxes. You can't name one US MNC that does. Not even one.

If'n I had to discover an ethical company, I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time looking in the US.
hey friendly ! come outta there ! you're a cheap lousy dirty stinkin' mug and I'm glad what I done !

pierocks
Donor
Donor

Unread postby pierocks » Wed May 16, 2018 7:45 am

hamei wrote:
pierocks wrote:And as far as Apple as a company versus everyone else that makes computer hardware, good luck finding anybody that doesn’t “exploit” their workers.

It's entertaining to me how people who have never been within 10,000 miles of a chinese factory are so sure of how the poor workers are viciously exploited. Meanwhile, go try picking onions in California. I've done both, and I'll take the china factory every time.

btw, Foxcon pays its fucking taxes. You can't name one US MNC that does. Not even one.

If'n I had to discover an ethical company, I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time looking in the US.

Yeah, that’s kinda why I put it in quotes. I have no idea what the hell goes on over there in factories. But I can assume that whatever life is like for people at Foxcon, it’s the exact same as it is for whatever OEM IBM or Dell uses. So it’s just asinine to single out Apple and not buy their stuff because of it. Pick a legitimate reason to not buy Apple if you want, but how/where they manufacture their computers ain’t it.

Now the taxes thing. That would be a legitimate reason to not buy from a company. I know Apple offshores a shitload of profits. What about the other guys? Anybody know?
:ChallengeXL: Image :O2: :O2: :O2:
They are multiplying. If you can read this, send help.

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”