SoftImage 3D 4.0 Install Help ?

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
RobhG

SoftImage 3D 4.0 Install Help ?

Unread postby RobhG » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:21 pm

I need help installing my SoftImage 3D 4.0, but I can not because the windows version has bugs, unlike the version of Linux and SGI Irix, where it has no bugs at all, I already used blender, maya 2009, 3ds max 2009 and daz studio, but SoftImage 3D 4.0 has been much more pleasing to me for simplicity, user-friendly interface and does everything a current CGI software does, I can do whatever I want with SI 3D 4.0, I love it, even more knowing that there are companies that still use it , Bandai games used it from 1994 to 2009, SEGA used it from 1991 to 2006, it's amazing, Silent hill 1 up to 4 was made entirely in it, just fantastic, but I already tried installing on Linux Fedora 25, Red Hat Enterprise, but it it does not run, it does not appear, I can only test on windows (where it has several bugs including not to recognize graphics driver) it was released for linux red hat 2.6 with xfree, any idea how to install it? I have the version of Irix but I do not have an SGI. this program is awesome, it does work faster than current Maya.

foetz

Re: SoftImage 3D 4.0 Install Help ?

Unread postby foetz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 pm

i'm afraid there's no solution to your problem. you can't run a 15 year old software on a current os with current hardware and expect it to work flawlessly.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 pm

It's maybe time for you to build a retro machine to run your software, or to get an SGI :D

Today you will be able to build an absolute top-spec machine from that era and it won't cost you much, it will be just as enjoyable and satisfying as building up one of the latest machines (top-spec) trust me! Your software, which was designed for such a machine will run as it was supposed to. (beautifully)
............Image...............Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...Image
.............Image................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......Image
Image...Image .........................................................Image
......Image..........Image ...........................................................Image
............Image..............Image Image........................................................Image

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:13 am

foetz wrote:i'm afraid there's no solution to your problem. you can't run a 15 year old software on a current os with current hardware and expect it to work flawlessly.

If it is the Linux version I would even get it if they use it still use the Xfree 4.1 system would probably run, but I will try to solve the problem, anything soon return, grateful for your reply!.

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:48 am

RobhG wrote:... SoftImage 3D 4.0 ... does everything a current CGI software does ...

hardly :) but if all you want to do is already in there and you're not trying to use or learn anything relevant today in the job - why not. have fun.

soft 3d was an irix app that received a bunch of ports as a result of a buyout. in all likelyhood it will run best on irix, be a bit of a fudge on windows and on linux be total a catastrophe made to please one important client who just happened to switch to that platform back in the day (somehow, the letters I, L and M come to mind ;) ).

so i'm saying you should probably pick up an sgi if you want to enjoy using the software.

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:37 am

GIJoe wrote:
RobhG wrote:... SoftImage 3D 4.0 ... does everything a current CGI software does ...

hardly :) but if all you want to do is already in there and you're not trying to use or learn anything relevant today in the job - why not. have fun.

soft 3d was an irix app that received a bunch of ports as a result of a buyout. in all likelyhood it will run best on irix, be a bit of a fudge on windows and on linux be total a catastrophe made to please one important client who just happened to switch to that platform back in the day (somehow, the letters I, L and M come to mind ;) ).

so i'm saying you should probably pick up an sgi if you want to enjoy using the software.

You are right, but ILM even said that SoftImage 3D 4.0 2002 in linux, even better than SGI Irix or Windows, so perfect that is such a version, but what do you think? Is it great to use this software in 2018 and nowadays? I knew SEGA used it from 1991 to 2006 and Bandai from 1994 to 2009, Capcom from 1997 to 2002, Dimps from 2002 to 2008, the last time it was used that I knew was Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (2007) Dragonball Z Infinite World (2008) and Dragon Ball Revenge of King Piccolo (2009, but this was practically in 2010, since it was released in the middle of 2009, what can be said 2010), I do not have the money to buy a SGI currently, it would be awesome to emulate Irix in modern intel machines, would it be perfect, where did you buy yours? Which one do you use? what is the best for SI 3D 4.0 animation so that animation is exporting with quality and very fast? do not you think that SGI should make a paid or free emulator? Because in a few years' time buying an SGI to do such work, it may be rare, is not it smarter to set up an emulation by contacting virtual box developers?

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:20 am

RobhG wrote: I do not have the money to buy a SGI currently, it would be awesome to emulate Irix in modern intel machines, would it be perfect, where did you buy yours? Which one do you use? what is the best for SI 3D 4.0 animation so that animation is exporting with quality and very fast?

For work such as that, you would probably want one of the following machines: Octane2, Fuel or Tezro.

These are still however quite expensive, as they still have commercial value, but if you look around you can sometimes find them going for a relatively good price.

Keep a watchful eye on the Bazaar on this forum and you sometimes get members unloading them for very good prices. (a reasonable fuel just went for $600! http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16732452)
............Image...............Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...Image
.............Image................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......Image
Image...Image .........................................................Image
......Image..........Image ...........................................................Image
............Image..............Image Image........................................................Image

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:17 am

RobhG wrote:You are right, but ILM even said that SoftImage 3D 4.0 2002 in linux, even better than SGI Irix or Windows

hey Rob, i think that's just marketing speak for a joint press release. ;) it is well known that ILM moved to linux around 2002, that they got a lot of deals for gear (all those o2's for example) and software in exchange for the extra publicity that being tied to some big movie generates for developers. no wonder they would praise the port of a tool they relied on. switching from R5000 o2's to something like a 1.5ghz intel machine will have had an effect on the level of praise given, too. that speed increase is all the difference a 3d artist wishes for. must have been a massive performance upgrade.

softimage 3d was a tricky one because it was fairly closely tied to irix, i recall getting it to work in windows required rather exotic graphics cards and drivers and it was never quite that good over there even when it may have processed data faster.

i ran some version of soft (3.9.2 i believe) on a dual-600 V12 with 6.5.28 - but only briefly. seemed to work well despite having been written for much older hardware and OS version.

anyway i think if cost is an issue then you're a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place. you can either recreate the linux environment that soft was supported on (if that can even run on modern hardware?) or sort out the windows issues somehow. probably means getting some weird graphics card and running XP or the like.
else you have to build yourself a retro machine. in that case it's probably easier to just pick up a semi-decent sgi. 400 mhz+ or the like.

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 am

GIJoe wrote:
RobhG wrote:You are right, but ILM even said that SoftImage 3D 4.0 2002 in linux, even better than SGI Irix or Windows

hey Rob, i think that's just marketing speak for a joint press release. ;) it is well known that ILM moved to linux around 2002, that they got a lot of deals for gear (all those o2's for example) and software in exchange for the extra publicity that being tied to some big movie generates for developers. no wonder they would praise the port of a tool they relied on. switching from R5000 o2's to something like a 1.5ghz intel machine will have had an effect on the level of praise given, too. that speed increase is all the difference a 3d artist wishes for. must have been a massive performance upgrade.

softimage 3d was a tricky one because it was fairly closely tied to irix, i recall getting it to work in windows required rather exotic graphics cards and drivers and it was never quite that good over there even when it may have processed data faster.

i ran some version of soft (3.9.2 i believe) on a dual-600 V12 with 6.5.28 - but only briefly. seemed to work well despite having been written for much older hardware and OS version.

anyway i think if cost is an issue then you're a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place. you can either recreate the linux environment that soft was supported on (if that can even run on modern hardware?) or sort out the windows issues somehow. probably means getting some weird graphics card and running XP or the like.
else you have to build yourself a retro machine. in that case it's probably easier to just pick up a semi-decent sgi. 400 mhz+ or the like.

It really is not the first time, but look at ILM, even released version 4.0, in 2002 was still using version 3.7, 3d softimage was simply, is and always will be the best animation software, everything one has today, it has in 2002, it is simply amazing, the windows version I found without any bug, the only one I found was that SoftImage 3D 4.0 does not render in Mental Ray, it appears and then returns to the program, rendering only in SoftImage Renderer, version It is important to talk about autodesk in this case, it could well gain more audience by putting SoftImage XSI 2015 (Ultima version) free for all for profit purposes, but even so, no one ever wanted to know as much about XSI as it did for 3D SI, an example of this is that movies and games from 2004, 2005, did modeling in XSI, but anyway, it was always aimed at 3D SI to render, since it had a Mental Ray quite complex and powerful, I even say that a Dinosaur modeled in Maya rendered and running the same in SI 3D 3.9.2 or 4.0, will win easily, the current software, there are many, but none has the level that SI 3D has.

I say and repeat or we join a group community to get in touch with Sillicon Graphics that can build a virtual emulator,although MaxX Interactive Desktop already does a good job and even more with the support of SGI, it recompiles all data from Irix to Linux intel and runs Irix applications as well, such as ReactOS, a standalone system that runs windows and linux applications without paying nothing, which is now almost perfect, runs most games with direct x.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:23 am

Softimage on Irix was quite amazing at the time. The mental ray integration was very nice by the 3.x.x era... BUT.... XSI was much better.

The UI was far more elegant and the hotkeys and Keyboard/Mouse usage did improve quite a bit... no more need to hold spacebar(selection toggle on/off) just to select and deselect items in the views.

Many things didn't change though. Through Softimage|3D to XSI to Softimage again. The UI spaces for modeling/rigging/animation/rendering were and did end up the same throughout. Even saving views in the quick button slots was there quite early.

I am amazed how much was available back at the beginning to tell you the truth.... BUT....
... there were many limitations too.

Softimage should not have died. The fact that they sold themselves to Autodesk was a big surprise and sad for me. Everyone knew it was going to be pillaged for uses in Maya and Max. Maybe a small chance the sales would save it and it would stay relevant. BUT.... had they not sold or been bought by anyone else I guarantee you Softimage would still be alive and well today.

Meanwhile, I still use Maya almost daily, I still have a soft spot for Softimage. It still gets attention from certain developers. Like Redshift.. taking the CGI industry by storm over the last two years... winning critical space from Vray, Arnold, and Renderman, does have current up to date builds for Softimage 2015. I guess since Softimage isn't changing it is easy for developers to predict update iterations.

There is something really magical about playing with Softimage in SG Irix though.
Image O2 - R12K-300 Mhz, 36 GB HD, 384 MB-RAM
Image O2 - R12K-400 Mhz 279 GB HD, 256 MB-RAM :1600SW: 1600sw
:O200: Origin 200 ??? Specs soon
aka Casey Christopher

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:33 am

Intuition wrote:Softimage should not have died. The fact that they sold themselves to Autodesk was a big surprise and sad for me. Everyone knew it was going to be pillaged for uses in Maya and Max. Maybe a small chance the sales would save it and it would stay relevant. BUT.... had they not sold or been bought by anyone else I guarantee you Softimage would still be alive and well today.

I thought that the company was initially sold to Microsoft? It was only later that Autodesk started acquiring every graphics SW in sight.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:29 am

Intuition wrote:Softimage on Irix was quite amazing at the time. The mental ray integration was very nice by the 3.x.x era... BUT.... XSI was much better.

The UI was far more elegant and the hotkeys and Keyboard/Mouse usage did improve quite a bit... no more need to hold spacebar(selection toggle on/off) just to select and deselect items in the views.

Many things didn't change though. Through Softimage|3D to XSI to Softimage again. The UI spaces for modeling/rigging/animation/rendering were and did end up the same throughout. Even saving views in the quick button slots was there quite early.

I am amazed how much was available back at the beginning to tell you the truth.... BUT....
... there were many limitations too.

Softimage should not have died. The fact that they sold themselves to Autodesk was a big surprise and sad for me. Everyone knew it was going to be pillaged for uses in Maya and Max. Maybe a small chance the sales would save it and it would stay relevant. BUT.... had they not sold or been bought by anyone else I guarantee you Softimage would still be alive and well today.

Meanwhile, I still use Maya almost daily, I still have a soft spot for Softimage. It still gets attention from certain developers. Like Redshift.. taking the CGI industry by storm over the last two years... winning critical space from Vray, Arnold, and Renderman, does have current up to date builds for Softimage 2015. I guess since Softimage isn't changing it is easy for developers to predict update iterations.

There is something really magical about playing with Softimage in SG Irix though.

Yes, from SI 3D to XSI the only difference there is in the interface that changed only the buttons and balloons, the render is pretty much the same, even shortcut keys, but somehow, 3D SI was more charming, perhaps for its speed and compatibility with everything, since it rendered faster and everything it simply straight to the content, look at 2006 for example, the game Saint Seiya for Playstation 2 was produced entirely in SI 3D instead of XSI, 2007 with Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and 2008 with Dragon Ball Z Infinite World, all this with SI 3D, look that XSI was already in the market since 2000.

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:52 am

robespierre wrote:I thought that the company was initially sold to Microsoft? It was only later that Autodesk started acquiring every graphics SW in sight.

microsoft -> avid -> autodesk as i recall.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 am

robespierre wrote:I thought that the company was initially sold to Microsoft? It was only later that Autodesk started acquiring every graphics SW in sight.

Yes, this is correct. It was sold to Microsoft. Then to Avid.. where it stayed for a while. Then was sold to Autodesk right after 6.0 and ICE was established. I think I meant to say that if anyone else besides Autdesk had bought it, or it wasn't sold to them, that it would still be around and in a much more advanced state like Houdini. Avid and Softimage had profit in their small niche that was amenable to the evolution of the software and its existence. Once inside the Autodesk stables it was looking pale against Maya and Max sales. I actually predicted one thing that came true which was that they would use Softimage's node view to update Maya's hypershade node view. Which they did do but as elegant as it looks it now takes far more screen space to see node networks than before because it doesn't scale as well in Maya's UI vs Softimage where the fonts could get much smaller before disappearing.
Image O2 - R12K-300 Mhz, 36 GB HD, 384 MB-RAM
Image O2 - R12K-400 Mhz 279 GB HD, 256 MB-RAM :1600SW: 1600sw
:O200: Origin 200 ??? Specs soon
aka Casey Christopher

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:01 am

Intuition wrote:

Yes, this is correct. It was sold to Microsoft. Then to Avid.. where it stayed for a while. Then was sold to Autodesk right after 6.0 and ICE was established. I think I meant to say that if anyone else besides Autdesk had bought it, or it wasn't sold to them, that it would still be around and in a much more advanced state like Houdini. Avid and Softimage had profit in their small niche that was amenable to the evolution of the software and its existence. Once inside the Autodesk stables it was looking pale against Maya and Max sales. I actually predicted one thing that came true which was that they would use Softimage's node view to update Maya's hypershade node view. Which they did do but as elegant as it looks it now takes far more screen space to see node networks than before because it doesn't scale as well in Maya's UI vs Softimage where the fonts could get much smaller before disappearing.

I still believe we should gather all of the SGI forum and the entire existing community and make an online petition for SGI to create an emulator of their MIPS wokrstation for Modern Computers, it would be interesting and she would profit more, even because she just had to copy her SGI Workstation to install it, so run all your software quickly and efficiently without any problem and SGI users would never lose their systems and files, the emulator can be expensive, since it is a fairly important OS for CGI, programming games / softwares I believe that for the whole world, it is an interesting and nice offer, okay we have MaxX Interactive Desktop, but that's not all, it's missing more.

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”