SoftImage 3D 4.0 Install Help ?

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
theinonen

Re: SoftImage 3D 4.0 Install Help ?

Unread postby theinonen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 am

It would not make much sense as oldschool SGI systems are now mostly hobby computers and pouring money to emulation just to run old software is not the best business plan. Company should look and invest into future and not the past. Also hardware/software have all evolved and today everything can be done much faster and easier. Compare early CGI in movies to what we have today and there is huge difference in visuals.

Even with working emulator you would still have the same problem as with real hardware, old software/licenses.

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:05 am

theinonen wrote:It would not make much sense as oldschool SGI systems are now mostly hobby computers and pouring money to emulation just to run old software is not the best business plan. Company should look and invest into future and not the past. Also hardware/software have all evolved and today everything can be done much faster and easier. Compare early CGI in movies to what we have today and there is huge difference in visuals.

Even with working emulator you would still have the same problem as with real hardware, old software/licenses.

A big mistake of yours, have you looked at Jurassic Park 3? looked at the huge difference that exists with the current? if you ask someone which one will have the best visual effects, are you sure the current one will have votes? no, because SI 3D was used from 1989 to 2009, XSI has been in the market for years, companies do not even care about it, games, movies, series, whatever, this software is still used in Japan and other teams.

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:23 pm

RobhG wrote:no, because SI 3D was used from 1989 to 2009, XSI has been in the market for years, companies do not even care about it, games, movies, series, whatever, this software is still used in Japan and other teams.

Amazing things were done before by skilled people but they also had to work around the limitations of the current software and be clever enough to find a way to achieve those things.

I still mainly use Realsoft 3D for the rendering myself, which is from the same time period. It can produce excellent quality with some effort, but I also acknowledge that more modern renderers give great results by just pressing render button with minimal work. Also working with older software you are restricted to working with older fileformats.

RobhG

Unread postby RobhG » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:16 am

theinonen wrote:
RobhG wrote:no, because SI 3D was used from 1989 to 2009, XSI has been in the market for years, companies do not even care about it, games, movies, series, whatever, this software is still used in Japan and other teams.

Amazing things were done before by skilled people but they also had to work around the limitations of the current software and be clever enough to find a way to achieve those things.

I still mainly use Realsoft 3D for the rendering myself, which is from the same time period. It can produce excellent quality with some effort, but I also acknowledge that more modern renderers give great results by just pressing render button with minimal work. Also working with older software you are restricted to working with older fileformats.

You're right, but look at XSI, look how many companies stayed in SI 3D until 2009 vs. XSI? and even so the 3D SI in its latest version of 2002 is formatted .XSI that blender or any other can read easily, who chooses to work with 3D IS certainly not lose.

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”