FORE Systems Forerunner ES-3810 NMM firmware needed

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jebmayers

FORE Systems Forerunner ES-3810 NMM firmware needed

Unread postby jebmayers » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:28 am

Hi,

Does anyone happen to have a firmware file for a Fore Systems Forerunner ES-3810 NMM? I recently acquired one but had an unfortunate accident and erased the flash rom ;o(

Jeb

jebmayers

Re: FORE Systems Forerunner ES-3810 NMM firmware needed

Unread postby jebmayers » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:24 pm

I hate breaking things. So I bought another one off these on ebay. I then extracted the flash rom using the inbuilt Mon960 monitor which took over 5 hours in total as it has to be dumped by serial as plain ASCII, and I had to make 2 copies as characters would go missing - so I needed a second dump to cross reference. Then I had to write a program to parse the ASCII firmware dump, work out which values looked suspicious and cross reference it with the other dump and then write it out as a binary file. I then wrote out a second binary file (with the xref file and the firmware files switched) and compared the two binary files to prove they were equal. Downloaded a bin2coff converter, and then downloaded this file to the original broken switch using the inbuilt Mon960 (the only thing you can't erase from the flash rom) and terminal Xmodem file transfer.

TL/DR: My original switch is now fixed again, and I now have 2 working FORE ES-3810 switches. I am unsure of the legalities of posting the ripped firmware here, but it is impossible to find online and Ericsson (who now own all the FORE/MARCONI stuff) couldn't even be arsed to reply to my query. So if anyone has the misfortune to do this themselves, PM me and we can fix it.

Jeb

NavyBOFH

Unread postby NavyBOFH » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:57 pm

I am glad you resolved your issues! We use the ASX-200BX models exclusively in our microwave DS3 system, so I wonder if the firmware was the same between the two in the end. We ended up getting Ericsson to provide the firmware but we are a government entity. Now we have ~35 of the switches in operation and whenever good parts end up on eBay we snap them up since we are still a few years away from upgrading our network.

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:26 pm

NavyBOFH wrote:I am glad you resolved your issues! We use the ASX-200BX models exclusively in our microwave DS3 system....

Nice! That is very cool. I know what you mean about spare parts, I still need to get a 100Mbps module for mine so I am scouring ebay regularly.

If you ever fancy wasting ~5 hours of your life then feel free to dump the firmware (twice!) and send them to me - I'll do a comparison ;o)

Jeb

tingo
Donor
Donor

Unread postby tingo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:42 pm

Isn't there a way to backup / dump the firmware from a working switch? If not, that sounds like bad design.
Torfinn

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:21 pm

There is, but only only using the method I described as far as I can tell. I can't find any option in the FORE software itself, only the option to upload a new firmware.

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”